Best Hiking Pants For Women

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by Pragmatist, Nov 1, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I kinda doubt the pant actually cost that much to made. Most likely its just the marketing hype.

When it come to non tacticool equipments outdoorgearlab is far more comprehensive in their review and they always include detail of their methodology.

Their review of Women hiking pants for 2020

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-womens/best-hiking-pants-women

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I used to mountain climb most of the mountains in the east like mount Washington Appalachian Trail and some out west . I really liked wearing shorts as they gave you freedom of movement. When you are above the tree line to need to be able to move from rock to rock and sometimes these rocks are several feet apart. At night it gets real cold up there so i would bring Baggy sweat pant to put over every .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would recommend a well worn $20 pair of cotton blue jeans . People come from hundreds of miles to enjoy the beauty and hike the trails in my area . The locals can spot them at a distance by the ridiculous garb they wear . They seem to get their apparel ideas out of some magazine .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Just glanced at the Outdoor gear link.

The key is to introduce new readers of product to the fabric and specifics of design such as with many pockets or none.

Yes, it's much about what is perceived as fashion.

For prepper women, it still depends what is being prepared for.

For an avacuation involving a potential or current wildfire, Forest Fire Fighter pants - mostly of men's sizes - cost ~ $200. There is a "best" product at $500. For an evac walking over to a boat, the key is the color. Pockets could be detrimental. Too much weight if flipped into water hinders rescue.

Still, overall, the Prepper community is growing and if someone wants to spend $300, I don't care.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One option is to have long pants with leg zippers. In cooler conditions, keep the long pant configuration. If getting body heat buildup and require ventilation to prevent sweating, then unzip the lower leg portion of the pants and convert the pants to shorts. Me, I only have one pair of cargo pants in the lower leg zippered configuration. I very rarely wear shorts.

Staying warm is great, however sweating compromises the thermal protection of the clothing. Sweating can dehydrate your body. The sweat glands of your skin bear some resemblance to the functional units of your kidneys (no where near as sophisticated, of course); when you sweat, know that you are losing not only water, but also your body's electrolytes. In sweat you also lose urea, not concentrated mind you, small amounts, but let's face it, urea is a waste product that no one wants suffusing their clothing.

And then there are the physiologic effects; by sweating too much, you can induce a degree of acidosis (higher levels of serum uric acid = you DON'T want that):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12817713/
    "These findings also suggest that persons who take vigorous exercise or are exposed to hot environments should be well advised to drink adequate fluids since heavy sweating excretes only minimal uric acid, accompanied by significant diminution of urinary output and diminished urinary excretions of uric acid, which may induce elevated levels of serum uric acid."

In Europe people wear shorts and have high (to the knees) heavy stockings. Basically, it is one's knees that are exposed to the elements. What one wears as undergarments can be regulated relative to the weather (light-weight or thermal).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Qui...or-Fishing-Hiking-Cargo-Trousers/331852063444

upload_2020-11-2_11-16-18.png

It is now past Oktober, but if you want to wear your Lederhosen, no one is stopping you. Ladies too.

upload_2020-11-2_11-27-0.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Lot of outdoor gear these days is about fashion and labels. Buy an outdoor shirt for $20, put 'Tactical" on its label and the price goes up to $50.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Good info re the leg zipper pants.

I've seen the pictured ladies' Lederhosen. The suspenders' horizontal section, above the antler carving on display, had a zipper making the secton into a pocket.

Also saw the go-go version and also the Leder dress with apron.

I am now in the mood for ein gross Bier and one of those large pretzels that are real bakery products.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    MAx what do you think of karrimor brand? I've notice their listing is something that is more suitable for my need but I don't have any experience with them. When it come to outdoor gears, I actually prefer British or European brand than let say US brand (with few exception). It mostly due to their suitability for tropical climate (jungle & maritime environment)a

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Karrimor years ago were a top brand, top quality gear but these days they sell a load of tat from China but...they still make some very good mil spec packs https://karrimorsf.com/products/ and the mid budget waterproofs can be OK in terms price vs quality/design same as their footware, some is pretty good and then some is just cheap and nasty.

I am pretty focused on my gear, I use mil surplus (or did) when I was into bushcraft camping but my serious four season gear has to be very good quality, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

https://rab.equipment/uk/ make some first rate kit, I have two of their down jackets and three sleeping bags, all top quality, all British made. I like Berghaus for Gore Tex kit, their range runs from high street fashion to serious 4 season/expedition kit.

Vango make some good tents at a good price.

With Karrimor just be careful what you buy, there is still some good gear to be had from them.

varuna and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I was originally interested few years back in karrimor SF line up, particularly the 45l capacity, however from the pictures I've notice they don't have rain flipper or does it said anything about DWR water repellent of which both are must have for my requirement which is best described as kind of patrol requirement rather than camping / hiking or bug out requirement.

Well at least you know what the term "military grade" is all about right? Its about getting the most out of the cheapest bidder.

Both karrimor & Berghaus used to have their own outlet here in my city, but they were presence here at the wrong time era entirely. Moreover Berghaus line up seem to be exclusively for alpine environment, thus extremely unsuitable for tropical climate. And these days brands such as North Face (which only less than half of their line up suitable for tropical climate) took their market niche

Looking at the spec & videos, I really like Vango tents, their line up is exactly what I've need or very suitable for tropical climate, unfortunately they don't seem willing to ship internationally

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Tropical I'd be off ground in a hammock :) Berghaus was started by a couple of English climbers. Vango are a bit of a compromise between quality and price but its good kit. Look on ebay for Vango there must be sellers who'll ship to you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Merchants at both eBay & Amazon rarely ship internationally. While those who do ask for ridiculous amount of surcharge typically over 30% on top of item price + shipping / handling + insurance (if applicable). And that is the main reason China online shopping platform thrive well in the region. They don't ask for additional surcharge ship internationally. And the most important at all is they willing to take my $ in exchange of their goods / services which is not the case when dealing with majority of business originating from Anglosphere countries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Amazon co uk will ship stateside I think.