"best" Kayak Life Vest

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Pragmatist, Apr 1, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/outdoor-gear/best-kayak-life-vest/

Good evening all,

Per ...

I do not use the word "best" but rather "ideal". There are just too many variables on gear and where/when it will be used.

Article is focused toward recreational fishing but has info that can be used for actual survival needs in re planning.

If the signal light ... elsewhere in article a term used is "strobe" ... is a strobe, then consider also carrying a mini mag type of flashlight. Money governs selection. Much stuff out there nowadays.

For the Prepper, consider not loading a smart phone into vest. Launched signal flares can order the pizza by drone delivery. It's not easy to work a phone with gloves on. I hope they're on !

Some life vests offered better protection than the current batch of kayak vests. Some of the older ones had neck protection.

Chilly days on the water and no emersion suit ?! I remember William Colby had a canoe accident on an April day about 25 years ago near offshore south Maryland. Water is still COLD here. and Colby must have been in his 70s. Colby was CIA Chief of Station Saigon during the Vietnam War and later, under Nixon, Dir of CIA.

Again, never go out in cold water without an emersion suit. Handwarmers won't help. Colby's fatal canoe accident had nothing to do with the subpoena demand that he testify on something before the Church Committee of the Senate 3 weeks later after accident.

Consider not directly placing in vest pockets tackle like trible hooks. The vest won't last as long.

Don't forget sunscreen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have planned to buy the NRS Chinook PFD for kayak fishing this summer. I have been using my PFD from work (white water/rescue) and it really doesn't work well with a kayak. After paddling all day fishing, my back kills me more than it should. The wife offered to get it for me for my birthday. A good woman.

I like how the back flotation is high on the back and the mesh can keep my lower back cooler on hot summer days. Love the big pockets for EDC and survival gear. The one pocket fits my Glock 43 perfectly.

CH_D12.jpg

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.