Black Powder Weapons

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by EarlyMarksman, Sep 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    Looking to get into black powder weapons and am wondering if someone has a good recommendation for a newbie?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A flintlock is the very best sustainable muzzle-loader you can get other than a matchlock. The flintlock though in my opinion is superior to the matchlock. However, many people don't like the flintlock because it makes them flinch, & they require more skill learning to make them work at their best. Once you have mastered these easy to learn skills, the flintlock will serve you well.
    The percussion is easier to use, but it requires percussion caps to make it work. This can be a problem in a long term wilderness survival situation.
    Smoothbore versus Rifle:
    The smoothbore is more versatile than the rifles, as it can digest bird shot, buckshot, & round ball or any combination of two of these. You do not have to wipe the barrel between shots on a smoothbore & it is easier to load than a rifle.

The rifle is more accurate over longer distances. It will only digest round ball or conicals. The barrel needs to be cleaned between shots so as to avoid possibly getting a ball stuck part way down the barrel.

I have three flintlocks, a .62 caliber/20 gauge smoothbore fusil, a .70 caliber smoothbore pistol, & a .32 caliber rifle.
    3c147b02289bd0c8e3f9b0006de1c4db.jpeg
    My fusil with a 42 inch barrel.
    My .70 cal pistol.
    My .32 caliber rifle with double set triggers.

Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

1) Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent caliber firearm.

2) The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies/conical slugs).

3) The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.

4) You can vary the load if needs be.

5) The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.

6) Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.

7) You can make your own gunpowder.

8) You can use the lock to make fire without using gunpowder.

9) You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.

10) IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.

11)If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.

12) You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.

13) Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.

14) Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.

15) Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of caliber (NSW).

16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks. For larger game you can load with conical slugs, which of course you can make yourself in the field.

17) Damage from a .62 caliber or .70 caliber pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.

18) By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.

19) There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.

20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.

Let me know if you want more information, accouterments for instance, you will need certain tools & a shot pouch & powder horn.
    Regards, Keith.

3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post Keith.

randyt and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, appreciated.
    Keith.

Dalewick, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I love it when a "Real Expert" takes the time to help educate us lay persons on the benefits of black powder firearms. Well done Mate.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree that the smoothbore is a lot more versitile1for survival/defense use and if I was going to black powder the 60 caliber musket is the be-all do-all weapon of choice. If on the other hand, you are going to have more than one long gun I really like the Hawken Rifles. If you live in an open country like the plains in West Texas the ability to reach out beyond a hundred yards would be a big plus. Besides that, I think that they are just plain pretty.
    50dacb69987728ca789ad1edd94ab250.jpeg

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do thank you TMT, but I have never classed myself as an expert in anything. The way I look at it is that there is always so much more to learn, one never stops learning.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious even though you're a flintlock fella, have you or do you use cap and ball revolvers?

also for priming powder in a flintlock do you use a 4-f and can courser powder be used in a pinch?

you may have mentioned priming powder in the videos but my video viewing is limited

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Great videos Keith.

I have a question if you don't mind. I want to build a high grade Hawkin Rifle sometime in the next 2 years. I'm looking at getting a Rice Muzzleloading Barrel for the build. I've been told there very high quality. Do you have any experience with that maker? If yes, what is your opinion of there barrels? Thank you!

Dale

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the Territory randy I used to strap on a cap & ball revolver with my pants every morning.
    9c577d5be91b005f82a74547166f9b22.jpeg
    Not a very good image, the camera I had in those days was not up to much!

I use 2FG as a main charge randy, & I use the same for priming. It is easier that way.
    Keith.

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No mate, no experience with that maker. But they claim to be top notch.
    http://ricebarrels.com/
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    That's what I've heard. Guess I'll try one. Thanks for the reply.

Dale

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Those that need to claim they are experts, rarely are. Those that demonstrate their knowledge, usually are. I do admit I tend to lean towards the percussion rifles. Keith is absolutely correct that the flintlock will outlast the others in a long term SHTF. But I don't think I will out last the my supply of percussion caps.

Caribou, Dalewick and Keith H. like this.
  14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Shot Pouch.
    The shot pouch is a traditional bag that contains all you need for the maintenance & use of you muzzle-loading arm when in the field. You can carry items in your pockets, but personally I find it easier to have everything in one bag.
    380df369c092741beeed021fa7b97848.jpeg 380df369c092741beeed021fa7b97848.jpeg
    On my shot pouch strap, from the top, powder charge measure, pricker (vent pick), pan brush, & to the right a bullet board for faster reloading.
    I0WuEaKFmraF4fQbVz9iOTqv9U-GYLUC.jpeg

I0WuEaKFmraF4fQbVz9iOTqv9U-GYLUC.jpeg My youngest son's shot pouch.
    Keith.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The problem with percussion ignition is that in a survival situation you are no better off than you would be with a metallic cartridge gun. Both require an element that you just can't make for yourself in normal situations. Like you, though I prefer the percussion ignition for hunting now but if I was going to black powder for survival I would go flintlock. I have thousands of primers and if I have to I can make and load black powder in Metalic cartridges. Primers are smaller and cheaper than percussion caps.

16. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    LOVE that powder horn in the video. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe what you call a shot pouch is what Americans (mountain man era) called a possible's bag.

Dale

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes Dale, not everyone cares about authenticity. The possibles bag was a western Indian name for the large bag they carried on a travois.
    314102d9f7878fa623f1f1890fe1fe25.jpeg
    Cheyenne possibles bag.
    Keith.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The percussion gun was not a popular choice for a long time, it was fine in England & other areas where the supply of percussion caps were easily obtained, but on the frontier the flintlock was the first choice. The western mountain men, the trappers, they did not use percussions, it was not just a matter of supply, it was also that dampness could effect the caps ability to work. They could always find a suitable rock, but not percussion caps.
    For a while there everyone wanted a Hawken, but the Hawkens were also flintlock, & they did not become popular until after the fur trade period, at least that is what I have read. The mountain man/beaver trapping/Rendezvous period only lasted 15 years, from 1825 to 1840. After that some mountain men stayed in the mountains trapping beaver & shooting bear for skins, but there was no more Rendezvous.
    https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2010/12/interpreting-rocky-mountain-fur-trapper.html

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The frailties of the fur trade. One day it's beaver hats for the jents and the next it's buffalo robes, for everywhere. Fashion trends still control the fur trade. I've been trapping for 48 years now. Seen fur prices boom and bust. Would have quit many years ago if it was just about the money.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:

Wow I appreciate all the information and apologize that it took me a while to respond! This seriously assisted me in learning more about the weapons, but one question I do have is about the patches you talk about. I know what they are and such, but how much are they typically and if I wanted to make them what would I need?

22. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Black powder shooting allows one to get by on the cheap. Mold your lead balls or Mini bullets. Seal and store caps in jars that have oxygen absorber packs in them. Can put oxygen absorbers in powder cans & tighten lids down for storage put cans up in a cool place where moisture can't get to them. Don't use plastic because of static electricity discharge. Can wax containers for moisture-proofing.

I've always fancied the idea of buying a percussion revolver. I've just been too lazy. For survival, you'll need a revolver in addition to your long-gun. Some revolvers have matching cylinders for reloads.

If government keeps tightening gun control laws, then that regime is the enemy of free people. You are going to have to end up fighting that government anyway, so buy what you need.

23. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    This thread won't be complete without these black powder links (hattip to Ol' Remus of the Woodpile Report for the heads up: http://www.woodpilereport.com/)

Survival Blog has posted an excellent series in four parts entitled, Black Powder for Self-Reliance.

Part 1 https://survivalblog.com/black-powder-self-reliance-part-1-m-b/

Part 2 https://survivalblog.com/black-powder-self-reliance-part-2-m-b/

Part 3 https://survivalblog.com/black-powder-self-reliance-part-3-m-b/

Part 4 https://survivalblog.com/black-powder-self-reliance-part-4-m-b/

24. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I own a .50 caliber Hawkin Cap rifle and also a .50 caliber cap single shot pistol.

My Hawkin Rifle is made by Sile and has a chrome lined barrel. I've not seen many of these rifle with chrome lined barrels.

For the members who do not know....Black powder is very corrosive....

Hence cleaning your firearms is vital...

I would often remover the barrels and just immerse them in the tub...or out in the yard....water hose. Scrub and then rinse and dry. The percussion cap nipple is removed and set aside..... before all this bathing is done. THe nipple is cleaned separately.

I too like double set triggers.

Since my Fathers passing ..I have inherited his German made Mauser in 30.06 calibration...and it has double set triggers.
    When you set that back trigger on this rifle...the front trigger is now set for a very very light pull....so be warned!!!

Agree with long term cap storage for survival. Flint would be better long term.

Again for those who do not know....flintlock takes longer to ignite the main charge....meaning a delay in pulling the trigger and the ignition of the main charge. This does not happen with a percussion cap.

This is critical in learning to shoot a flintlock but can be overcome with training...and or experience.

Had a very interesting day at the shooting range/gun club on Saturday. In the lane to our right a fellow came in after us and set up to shoot. He was shooting all black powder.

The very interesting thing about his rifles is that they were originals...from the period..of about late 1820 to some 1840s. One piece was a smoothbore musket..69 caliber...converted to cap lock. The other a rifle...converted to cap lock as well.,

He was shooting at targets 25 yards away.

The youngster shooting with us had never seen such an rifle...black powder.

I brought my Henry lever rifle in .357 Magnum/.38 Special...and also my Ruger GP 100 in the same calibration.

For the youngster I let him shoot the rifle at 25 yards..and he shot well for the first time. We shot up about 150 rounds of reloads in .38 Special. Also about 35 rounds of .357 Magnum through the same rifle.

The youngster had a good time and I am glad to work with youngsters who are receptive to what I am trying to teach them and they will listen....in particular to range safety. We do not scrimp or cheat on range safety.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.