Black'out Curtains........light'lock Curtains.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Nov 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Black'Out Curtains........Light'Lock Curtains. I have raised this subject on several occasions and on several different forums. It never seems to generate any interest.

I happen to think it is very important for post'SHTF security.

Not to be a sexist pig........but I think if a Lady was looking for a hobby/work at home business. That taking orders and making custom "Black'Out" Curtains would be worth a go.

A lot of creative thought could go into the design. Dull flat black on the outside then some thermal middle, and a highly reflective inner face to enhance candle light or lantern light, etc. light on the inside.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any brilliant thoughts about this subject.......????

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    During a major it hit the fan event, Blacking out of the windows would be very prudent. Not sure that curtains would suffice. I think the window would require something taped or nailed over the opening. Any light leakage could be disastrous. JM2C

Caribou likes this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a lot of history about the curtains. They were rigorously required by law during WW-II in many countries.......London, England.

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Black out against aerial or sub marine detection is not sufficient against manned patrols. Grizz is correct the curtain would have to taped or velcro-ed to the window frame to be adequate. Just hanging them would not seal against light leakage.

Caribou likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

I address this indirectly.

First: A couple of my prepper principles: Involves multi-functionality and cost-savings...prudent use of funds.

Only 2 of my windows are permanently blacked-out. I have 4 black thick vinyl shower curtains (got them on sale) i a thin nylon tote bag along with a wood stapler and EMT diagonal scissors (I have many). My main reason to seal additional windows is to prevent aerosol chemical "spills" entering this place. Forest fire poison gas emissions are of little concern. Survival is not possible here during a forest fire. Evac is required.

If I evac, I have 4 additional ground cloths or a makeshift canopy tent.

Homes here are identifiable by Dominion Energy transponders in meters. Thermal imagery from roofs can be "seen" by equipped drones.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not even familiar with black out / light out curtain. So no idea whatsoever :(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen very little evidence of blackout curtains being for sale in the UK, modern people do not require them, in fact most seem to be unable to sleep without some form of night light.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

During World War II in the Dutch East Indies, if a Japanese fighter aircraft sought a target at night, light from the house would be what the aviator would aim for, Covering the windows with material to prevent light from "leaking" out was used to protect against enemy aircraft. This prevention measure was prominent in the UK and the US.

If you're at sea and smoking a cigarette, the light cigarette can be seen for a few miles. Thus, smoking by soldiers and sailors had restrictions.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in WW2 in Britain there were wardens going around the streets telling people to "put that light out", just a chink of light could be enough for an enemy bomber .
    Post SHTF any light will give away the fact you have something that others have not, and could make you a target, light can be seen as far as 3 miles away at night.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    My experiences with using blackout curtains comes orginally from not wanting any light to get in. I am one of those people who needs it to be pitch black to sleep properly and when I lived in the city the light pollution drove me crazy! I ended up hanging 2 layers of the commercially available blackout curtains on each window in the bedroom LOL.

Anyway once I began the journey into prepping it did occur to me the curtains would also stop light getting out. I have done a number of mini tests and as stated in the above posts if you don't stick the material down around the edges of the window some light is still visible outside even with 2 layers. Even when only a candle is on inside.

I find blankets can work really well if pinned around the window properly. And they provide a little bit more insulation in the winter. But you do have to be willing to sacrifice the blankets which may have many better uses.

Probably adjusting whichever material/method you choose to each individual window in the house prior to SHTF would be prudent. But as with everything...time, money and storage space to be considered

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wife is the same as you, she cant sleep if there is the tiniest chink of light getting in, me- I can sleep even in broad daylight, I have done night work and had to sleep during the day, light dosen't bother me, I just close my eyes and go to sleep!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We have wood blinds on all of the windows with blackout curtains behind them. We also like a dark room for sleeping but our main motivation was keeping the house warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here are some bullet-proof shutters:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...2700.7724857.normalList.25.7b2932depjua5g&s=p

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.45.483232degO3VFy

Here are some blast and bullet-proof shutters:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.30.483232degO3VFy

Bullet-proof blinds:

https://www.safetysecurity.co/bulletproof-blinds/

Here's a place in England that makes armored whatever; doors, windows, structures, ... . They write that the can make pretty cabinetry for the armored materials.
    https://www.avonarmour.co.uk/about-us.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Why would you need them?

17. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    In the summer it never gets dark around here. We picked up darkening shades (Lowe's) that have a reflective insulation in them. This will block any light from being seen at a distance. In the summer the trees will block the viewing of my home along with any light.

I had the shades cut longer than suggested to minimise light exfiltration. If someone is walking around my home then I've got a bigger problem. If I feel it necessary I have packing blankets that can be placed over the windows for complete light blocking and added insulation.

TMT Tactical likes this.