Blood Trailing Game

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Bishop, Jul 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    When hunting game the easy part is the shooting if the animal the hard part is the tracking and cleaning of the animals I get calls from hunters all the time that need help tracking game they have shot and when I go out to help my first question is where did you shoot it and what did it do on the shot this helps me understand where it was hit and gives me a idea if how far it should have went

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Here is a good shot placement on a doe deer during bow season that it only went about 20 yards

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Tip when it gets dark and trailing a blood trail fire up a coleman lantern the blood has a glow that makes it much easier to see and follow

4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    We keep a dog for pointing and tracking.
    Anyone who doesn't understand what Bishop means when he says"where did you shoot it and what did it do?" Should look at the DSC 1 & DSC 2 material available online as well as through training courses. It teaches you the minimum skills and animal welfare standards required to hunt deer in the UK but the skills are the same whatever/wherever you hunt.
    I just want to add to some members who implied criticism of hunters in other posts that the vast majority of hunters take the wounding of an animal very seriously and will not let it suffer unnecessary.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Blood trail enhancer
    http://www.lclhuntingshop.com/BTE.html

Had a friend who only took neck shots on deer. With a neck shot, you either kill or miss. Blow out a section of spine = instant death. Blow the carotids loose = huge blood trail and besides that, also usually is an instant kill due to hydrostatic pressure straight into the deer's brain.