Bonfire Against Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Corzhens, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I think I had posted in another thread that my skin is a magnet for mosquitoes. That’s my main problem when going on a camping trip that’s why I always have the Off lotion for the insect repellent. But the bonfire is one good way of driving away the mosquitoes. Especially on a cold night in the wilderness, a bonfire is good to give you warmth and at the same time discourage the mosquitoes and other insects as well. And as s bonus, isn’t it nice to be telling stories in front of a bonfire?

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I know the feeling. I was a nurse and we had to do immersion duties in college, where we go to the mountainous areas and they were riddled with mosquitoes. Not just on the afternoons, but it was all day. I tried all the repellents on the market but to no avail. I even tried that vinegar bath the locals recommended, but it still was not enough. I think the smoke from fires would make the air heavier, lesser visibility, added heat and the mosquitoes would rather steer clear of it. I couldn't really bring bonfires around in the mountains, so I had to wear thick clothing while hiking in the mountains, which was uncomfortable yet a better alternative than being peppered with mosquito bites.

3. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I am the same, but even a boonfire can't save me. I usually use lotions, but I'm looking for something natural right now since I've tried everything and during camping I just can't rush to a drug store.

4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    You can use Beauty berries plan it works.