Bought Me A "tomahawk"

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by omegaman, Jan 22, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I never owned a tomahawk before. But one day I found a tomahawk-type handaxe I really liked the estetics of. Finish was no short of HORRIBLE though. On the paper it looked good, hickory shaft, 1055 carbon head, materials I have had good experiences with all in all. But what I recaived was a nightmare. The shaft didn't fit the head so they had crammed it on, leaving ugly woodships on the clearcoated(!) handle. The head had some spaceage plasticy coating on it. So I ugly I didn't bother with before pictures. But the shape is ME!

So I went over it. I scraped the handle to fit with a knife and burned it hard to give it a good surface. Oiled it some until I was fine with the finish. Managed to get the coating of the head and sanded it smooth. Now It's getting a good patina-treat and I have a feeling it will be awesome. Looking forwards to trying it out!

Thanks to Keith H for inspiring me to try this type of hand tool out!

Attached Files:

TexDanm, Keith H. and Grumpy Max like this.
  2. Grumpy Max

Grumpy Max Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like it was a disaster before you saved it.
    My Dad, hobby-wise, likes making tomahawks based on genuine ones held in museums; he’ll use modern axe heads & turns out some lovely examples considering his lack of tools.

omegaman and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When you are first learning how to throw an axe you can go through a few handles/helves.

When I was teaching primitive skills & tomahawk throwing I had this axe made up with a steel tube handle. The weight of course is a lot different, but there was no way round that. Anyway it worked, saved me a lot of broken tomahawk handles. You can in fact if you look closely see that even this handle is slightly bent from hitting the top of the tomahawk targets.
    e734e565420fe927e278f150d6dc8e3c.jpeg
    Keith.

omegaman and Grumpy Max like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Viking bearded ax is one of my favorite shaped hawks. It is just plain pretty.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    omegaman likes this.