Bow Hunting Warthog

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by sekelbos, Mar 27, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    Solo walk and stalk bow hunting a good tusker hog without dogs in the Limpopo Bushveld....
    Man, that's LIFE !

002 - Copy.jpg

2. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    Once you have experienced the adrenaline rush in your veins after a long solo stalk on a huge problem boar, you want to get back for more....

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post, I have hunted a lot of wild boar for food over the years. Just remember that compound bows are not recommended for long term wilderness survival, they are not sustainable. Traditional bows are fine.
    Keith.

4. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    Keith,I agree
    I will put up a post later of my primitive Oryx horn bow......

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am going to go slightly off topic. Basic bow, Crossbow or compound bow. Plus and minus, please.

Keith H. and sekelbos like this.
  6. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    My Oryx horn bow will probably then fall under a basic bow....
    [a bit of a custom traditional bow as per the Bushman in the Kalahari]

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you mean what I think you mean TMT: The traditional bow is sustainable for long term wilderness living because you can make bow strings & arrows from natural materials. The same can be said for a normal crossbow. But the compound needs to have the right string & arrows, & these can not be made from materials out bush. Also compound bows have been known to break down & they are not easy to fix.
    Keith.

8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is exactly what I meant. What are the limiting factors. GA did peak my interest in making natural wood bows but I think I would do better making a crossbow. The compound bow is way beyond my ability to fabricate. I was interested in their durability differences.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In an emergency one can make a temporary traditional survival bow fairly easily, the arrows are harder to make. I really have not had enough experience with a crossbow to comment on its durability. I did use one many years ago that belonged to one of my brothers-in-law, but that is all. However, I do rather fancy the idea of having a crossbow. I tend to think a crossbow would be more susceptible to failure if it got too wet, more so than a traditional bow, but that is just a guess based on knowing a little about the original crossbows. A modern crossbow might be a different kettle of fish altogether. Maybe we should explore this crossbow in a separate thread TMT with images & more information? What do you think?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  10. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe we can fit the primitive (GA) and the scavenger (me) crossbow and the semi -modern crossbow (Keith) into your new thread. How does that sound GA, Kieth?

Keith H. and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Good idea TMT! Loosely termed "primitive" doesn't necessarily mean all caveman style. Scavenging modern materials to make something useful works!

And it fits the bolded parts of the definition:

prim·i·tive
    /ˈprimədiv/
    adjective
    1. relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something.

synonyms: ancient, earliest, first, prehistoric, antediluvian, antique, primordial, primeval, primal, primary, lower, original.
    2. having a quality or style that offers an extremely basic level of comfort, convenience, or efficiency.

synonyms: crude, simple, rough, basic, elementary, rough-hewn, rudimentary, undeveloped, unrefined, unsophisticated, rude, rough and ready, makeshift;
      old-fashioned, obsolete, archaic.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    primitive to me means not relying on modern technology or mass produced products.

14. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    ...Or maybe TMT can start a thread titled something like, "Improvised Crossbows..."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If it is okay with GA it is okay with me TMT.
    Keith.

16. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe we can call it "Crossbows, past, present and what we can build" ?

Keith H. likes this.
  17. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Lol, the past (primitive thread) has already been started, so maybe you can start one called something like, "Improvised bows (or crossbows)" or...whatever you like! I can't wait to see what you have in mind!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Meanwhile, back on topic of Sekelbos' thread... I am interested in learning more about your Oryx horn bow. Some Native American tribes made bows from bison horn...but I have never seen one in person.

You, sir have my respect, to face an African hog with only a bow. (Speaking for myself, I would be secretly packing a sidearm...just in case!) :eek:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Right now I am working on a design (in my head). My PVC bow would be a poor choice for a fall back weapon. It could be viable but not very practical. I got a bit (okay a lot) carried away on the draw. Unless you are the "Incredible Hulk", you are not going to hold that pull for very long. I am going to try and set a$25.00 limit on my crossbow construction costs. We will see, it should be fun.

Maybe I should call it "Improvised bow and crossbows OR What bow do you use". Give more people a chance to input or build their own. Maybe Keith can figure a way around his draconian laws and build something.

GrizzlyetteAdams likes this.
  20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not facing anything that can eat or hurt me with just a bow. Twang is fine but I like bang for backup. Just call me Old Yeller.

21. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Most times critters never see or smell the bowhunter. (Call me chicken, I don't care! I like the safety of hunting from a tree AND packing a sidearm, lol.)

sekelbos likes this.
  22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:

Yeah, Selklbos, Got more moxie than me. I truly love the UNfair advantage. If it can hurt me, then I am going to be out of reach and armed to the teeth. That old saying "No guts -- No glory" was not describing me. In the old West, I would have been the back shooter. Glad he got his pig and the the Hippo, did not get him.

sekelbos likes this.
  23. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh,yeah, sirs, if you really go solo primitive hunting out here [without a tv crew or dog back-up] you do carry a big gun secretly as well, because if anything goes wrong[which can happen in the blink of an eye,] your primitive tools might not be enough.
    The animal will probably die later , but so will you...
    No, for that emergency seconds of unplanned contact, you need to put big holes with lots of noise in there..
    Only Tarzan could really survive those type of close encounters....:)

24. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Ha. That dude had rope, lol. He would probably escape quick like a monkey.

I'm sure looking forward to seeing more of your posts, including those horn bows...

TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  25. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that is a great title TMT, & after some more thought I think it would be best if we kept traditional bows separate from crossbows. Have new threads for both. What do you think?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good advice, totally agree.
    Keith.

sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay how about:: "Crossbows, past, present and what we can build" and a separate thread :: "Bows, past, present and what we can build".

28. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You can make a crossbow from a metal leaf spring.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am hoping to get folks to show us their crossbows, factory, primitive or home made. Watch for thread "Crossbows, past, present and what we can build". Coming soon to a post near you.

30. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    Is it ok with you guys if I start a bow thread about something like this
    'traditional/survival bows, past,present and custom build'?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Go for it, that works for me. I just started on on crossbows but I would love one on traditions/survival, past present and custom build.

32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, someone kick this off please.
    Keith.

33. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Javelina bow-hunting (peccary; guy in video mistakenly says they are giant rodents; no they're not).

Anyway, he takes two javelinas, then nukes two snakes with one arrow.

Y'gotta watch this video. It's neat. The snakes he kills at the end of the video are each 6 footers. Interesting during the pork hunting is when he shows their teeth / tusks / whatever, huge leg rippers if one got a hold on you.

TMT Tactical likes this.