Bows - Traditional/survival- Past, Present & Custom Build

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by sekelbos, Mar 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    This is my custom Oryx Horn bow & Buffalo Leather rig that I've solo hunted Warthog and Impala with so far...

13325673_243415836021249_3391666644224442818_n.jpg

Oryx
    681401_poster_l.jpg

2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I am impressed to the max. That takes some real talent.

sekelbos likes this.
  3. sekelbos

77/115

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tacktical-I must state here that I am not the creator of this custom set--just the owner now and hunter

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    Love it, well done. A good start to a new thread.
    Keith.

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    Be still my heart! That is an absolutely fine looking bow, and the leather accessories are exquisite.

I am just busting with questions! What kind of broadheads? What is the draw weight? What is the bowstring made of? Is that a two-horn bow?

OK! I will shut up for now!

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. sekelbos

77/115

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. sekelbos

77/115

Blog Posts:
    Yes, It's made out of two Oryx cow horns.
    They are slimmer and more 'flexible' than the bull horns that are tough and thicker due to the fighting ect.

More data to follow.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    Mark me impressed. Even if you did not make it, you were smart enough to acquire it. Really outstanding craftsmanship.

sekelbos likes this.
  9. sekelbos

77/115

Blog Posts:
    It took me some time to master this primitive bow with instinctive shooting.
    When I received it, it had a draw weight of 75-80 pds

I could not handle that comfortably like him [he is a giant of a man!] and after discussion with the bow builder [who lived about 1800 km from my place,I send it back for adjusting.

He took off some more horn on the inside of the bow near the grip till the draw weight were down to a more manageable 55-60 pd.

Then the endless amount of arrow shooting started to get the 'feel' of the instinctive shooting.
    As there is no point of aim on the bow,and no holding the drawn arrow back for some seconds to 'aim', a whole new skill had to be mastered. [And I am hunting with a compound bow for many-many years]

As there are no data available of such a specific Oryx horn bow hunt, everything had to go by trail and error.

Three of the many 'problems' that I encountered during these practice sessions with this Oryx horn bow before I felt comfortable with the bow to go out hunting with it were'
    1. I could not shoot even with a small finger protection.( Too much string roll occured) In the end I found that shooting bare fingers (3 below) on the string worked the best for me [though it played havoc on my fingers with blisters in a short while-) so I had to pace the amount of practice arrows before giving my fingers a 'break'.
    2. Then I kept grouping the arrows on the left bottom of the target. [some minor adjustments to my shooting 'style' took care of that]
    3. I had to keep my shooting distance at around 10 m [A whole set of new hunting skills now got involved, like better camouflage, better animal behavior knowledge, 'reading' of the wind and heat conditions etc and much-much more patience had to be mastered.
    1. [The further away from your prey you are with a more powerful bow or gun, the more forgiving these factors are. The builder of this bow have no problem with 20-30 m shots, but I want to challenge myself and decided on a hunting shot of max of 10 m, --otherwise what is the point of having a primitive bow if you still want to shoot 30 m?!![aw,that's just me!]
    2. Really many more trail and errors went into mastering this unique bow.
    3. When I eventually succeeded in hunting an Impala 'my' way at a very short distance, a local hunting magazine published an article about this 'rare' hunting bow and hunt..
    I am blessed to have achieved a dream hunt with a dream primitive bow at a very short distance on a very alert animal, and to me its one of my proudest hunting achievements, as only I know about the countless hours of practice and shoulder/finger blisters & pain and disappointments of animals detecting me at the last moment etc that went into this last hunt.

The arrow fully penetrated that Impala shoulder ( heart/ lungs) and were found on the ground on the far side of the animal--It barely went 30 _ 35 m before falling down and die ( About 5 seconds after the shot!) Now that I know what this bow is capable of, I can start planning for the next hunt!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.