Bring your own food?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Eric Graham, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Eric Graham

Eric Graham New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    If you are going on a wilderness hike or camping in the woods would you rather bring your own food or rely on the woods like Bear Grylls? I understand the element of fending for yourself but if it's not necessary why do it? My friend and I are planning a trip and they are big on the idea of catching your own food but for me I just cant get down with that idea. Should I try it, and if so, any tips?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think you should be ready to do both. If you're taking a short trip, you can probably survive just off a few prepacked things. However, you don't want to be left out to dry, with no knowledge of what to do, if something happens to your food source. IT's always good to know how, where, and when to get food in the wild. You should never be left in a situation where you might be starving for days.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    NEVER go on a wilderness trek without carrying trail food. If it is going to be a long stay, then carry more food. Dry foods are relatively light compared to canned foods, but they will need water to prepare them. ALWAYS carry foods that do not require cooking, you never know when there may come a time that making a fire is not possible.

You can never be sure on a trek that wild foods will be available, what was growing in a particular spot last time may have died out or been eaten by wildlife or other people. Game animals can not be relied on for food, they move about following feed or because of weather conditions. For instance, there is a spot just beyond the house that I can see from where I am sitting right now. This is a popular feeding area, especially after rain or during rain. Today there is nothing there. It is raining, there may be good feed somewhere else now, they could be camped out in the forest because of the weather. The point is you can not guarantee that you will find food when you need it.
    ALWAYS carry food with you. Bear Grylls does NOT go into the wilderness without taking food with him, & he always has a film crew for back-up.
    Regards, Keith.
    My Video Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public And I rarely have a film crew to back me up ;)

ukpreppergurl likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Bring my own food in a hike? Of course. It's silly to rely on the food that you can find in the site. Even when we go to a resort that we are not familiar with, we bring our own food and drinks because there are resorts with no restaurants, not even drinks.

In a hike, particularly in the woods, the best to bring is bread with meat. Pardon me if you are a vegan. Let's say a ham sandwich for me, that would give me the stamina to endure the hike especially if we are going on a climb. I wouldn't forget to bring some boiled eggs in my backpack, that is an energy booster for me. And for a snack, nuts and raisins will do. That's my usual menu when we go on a hike. But mind you, I have never gone hiking in the wild, just once if I remember but just for 2 hours of hike.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If it's hiking them yes OF COURSE I bring my food. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to eat things from the nature but I'm not counting on it. You can try to catch your own food and I would recommending using berries, mushrooms etc if you find ones that you can recognize. But seeing as it's a leisure trip, bring some food just in case.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    For a vacation it may not be necessary. But if you look at such an outing as an opportunity to learn about survival, then it makes sense to give it a try. Some day you may need that knowledge. Perhaps do a little of both. Take your food but try finding some too.

7. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It is absolutely imperative to bring your own food when going camping. It doesn't matter if it's overnight or even for a week. I once went on an overnight camping stay without packing any substantial food with some friends of mine...we were cold and hungry. Always be prepared and don't put too much hopes in finding a food source while camping or hiking.

8. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, it's definitely a good idea to try foraging (take a small book with you so that you can identify what's safe and what's not) to expand your knowledge, in no way is it a good idea to rely on that for feeding yourself and the rest of your group, that's a very dangerous and stupid thing to do.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    any wild food should be in ADDITION to your brought food not INSTEAD of.

10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would bring my own food on a camping trip also. Still the experience of finding and catching your own food will be good experience. You should bring some fishing line and a hook, and try to catch some fish. Cooking your fish over a open fire might be a fun experience. If you don't eat meat try some foraging. I doesn't hurt to have your own food and to experience what nature has to offer also.

11. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Even if you are going to a location where wild game is plentiful or the rivers/streams are stocked with fish, it is vital for you to bring a backup supply of food, especially if you plan your stay to be several days or longer. Hunting wild game tend to be a boom and bust proposition so, other than your backup food supply, fishing and foraging would have to make up the difference which may be difficult depending on the time of year and the availability of suitable edible plants.

12. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Why would you rely to the wilderness when it comes to your food when you are not used to it? Your body is not adaptable with leaves and other things. Also, you may never known if they are poisonous. If you are planning on hunting, that is ruthless. You came there to travel, not to kill animals. Bring your own food with you and don't kill anything on wilderness

13. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Why would you rely to the wilderness when it comes to your food when you are not used to it? Your body is not adaptable with leaves and other things. Also, you may never known if they are poisonous. If you are planning on hunting, that is ruthless. You came there to travel, not to kill animals. Bring your own food with you and don't kill anything on wilderness