Bringing Along A Dog In A Camping Trip

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Corzhens, Jul 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a nice idea if it is possible. Especially if the dog is the breed that fits the wilds, it can be of great help to the camper. Some stories of the second world war that I heard from the oldtimers refer to the advantage of having a dog. They evacuated from the city to the bondoocks to escape the bombings of the enemies. Those families with dogs were lucky because they felt secure. When an intruder is nearing their makeshift camp, the dog would react by growling or barking. And for the hunting of food, the dog can help in tracking the prey like wild chickens or even wild boar.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the dog. Some dogs crap around the camp area, pee on the tents, eat your food & bark & let others know where you are. On the whole I think the average dog is better left at home.
    Keith.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    If you have a healthy dog who is very active and very good at scaring animals and strangers, it is really good idea to take your dog with you in your campaign trip. Dog will not only be your guard but also a good travel companion. However, your dog needs to be big and agile.

4. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    There are specific breeds that were meant for hunting. In a ideal situation, and survival, I would think that a hunting breed would suit you best. But with all dogs, they need to be obedient. I'm surprised as to how many people still treat their dogs like little children, as they are not, and they should be taught the proper pecking order as all dogs strive to be the pack leader.

I've taken my pet dogs on camping trips in the past. They are never on a leash as they know how to behave. Others will not have dogs with this type of mannerism.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Any dog will hunt and protect a good dog is a plus breed dont matter its nose is 10000 times better than you at finding game and treated with love and respect you would be amazed at how quick it becomes a beast to protect you

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Like I said before, an untrained dog is a liability. It may frighten lesser animals away, but it can also attract larger dangerous animals to your camp by harassing it. Untrained dogs are of little use as hunting dogs. They scent the game & go after it. Some dogs have been known to run themselves to death chasing game. Many people think that a simple camping trip is a safe event. They assume that anyone else in the woods is either there for the same reason, or that they look kindly on campers. Well this is NOT necessarily the case. There are dangerous people out there just waiting to take advantage of a camper. Your untrained dog can draw that person to your camp.
    Keith.

7. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Different breeds were simply that, "bred" for hunting. Not all dogs are built and equipped to hunt. chihuahuas and pomeranians are perfect example of breeds that are not well equipped for hunting.

Agreed 100%. Dogs are not humans and they need to be trained properly. The worst mistake for any dog owner is to treat them like a child and not teach them the proper pecking order of the PACK. All dogs must know their place and to be subservient to their pack leader, which is you.