Brits Storing Food In Anticipation Of Brexit

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Old Geezer, Feb 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is in the news -- I'm including a few links -- that in Britain many people are storing back food due to their fears that divorcing from the European Union will result in the truncation of food supplies to their country.

I'm sitting here on the Yank side of the pond. I'm observing and reading, yet I've zero on-the-streets knowledge of what's really going on. Were I in Britain, I'd be prepping all right! About SHTF issues, I'd be a whole lot more worried living there than here. However, I'd not be panicking over Brexit. I'd just be gathering all the silver coins I could put my hands on.

We are fortunate to have on this site no shortage of those who currently live or have lived in Great Briton. So, what's the story?! Are these news stories just so much more fake news -- Lord knows that we are lied to and perpetually so. Or, are people actually terrified of being divorced from the Big Brother machine of Europe?!

Help us! O ye souls residing across the drink, do please enlighten us of the truth of the situation. Tell us what is going on. I hear of no panic in the streets, yet it indeed seems odd to read of people actually putting back stores. Obviously there's blood being besotted with adrenaline. Help key us in!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...stockpiling-in-case-of-messy-brexit-1.3591207

Here's a panic piece by the communist rag Vanity Fair:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/britain-begins-stockpiling-for-the-brexit-apocalypse

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-brexit-survival-guide-what-food-to-stockpile

As a last note, we here in the Americas will sell you all the food you need and then some. Need cosmetics or pharmaceuticals or whatever, we got it, we have it for sale. I love Scottish wool products. English medical supplies are top quality. You folk make all manner of things that will serve as trade. There are stores here in the states that sell products for use in the home and their products are Brit. And everyone takes silver. I've bought British sterling. So for God's sake, tell your mates over there not to panic!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with you Old Geezer. With all the money and food that we throw at countries and people that hate us and are basically our Enemies I see less than no problem helping the one true ally we have had over the last many years.

If your leftist government will allow it a right wing America will never turn its back on you. Personally from what I've managed to read about the situation, Brexit is about the best thing that you can do. Sometimes in a messed up bad situation getting out and taking the loss is better than staying in and going down with the ship.

The Euro is a scary idea when you have some member countries handing them out to their citizenry like candy without there being and backing in the sense of value. They can then go to other countries and spend their valueless currency and devalue it there. If allowed to continue, eventually places like Greece with crash the entire European economy.

3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Greece and Italy and Spain ...

Think that the German economy, the German people, will prop-up this catastrophe forever? Anybody can go bankrupt.

To survive, a drug dealer doesn't use the product. The house doesn't gamble. If they do, they too crash and burn.

Get out the popcorn. Get out the beer. Things are soon going to go "interesting" across an Atlantic from here.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree and unfortunately I suspect that the end result will be another world war. A war at this time will kill millions not even counting the loses of the people actively involved in the action. We are at a point in time more similar to that preceding WW1 than WW2. Lots of places are on the cusp of famine or drought caused crop failures. With a war going on there just won't be the resources available to continue feeding the over populated places that even now are on the edge.

As far as Germany supporting them...They had better be prepared for the Germans to rule them! Germany is a wolf among poodles. I'm not sure that the Brits and America will be able to pull their butts out of the fire a third time. I'm not even sure that we should try...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most of this is fake news, oh sure there are a few stories in the press of people storing food in anticipation of Brexit but they are few and far between and most people are NOT storing food.
    this is Britain in the 21st century, do they really think food will stop coming into the country? in any case over half of the imports do NOT come from Europe they come from places like Brazil, New Zealand, Africa and the like, and those supplies will not stop.
    people also seem to forget Britain is a farming nation and we currently grow 57% of all our food domestically.

6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always thought that Brexit was a good thing. My take from what I have seen in the media, and what I have read is that the British people are tired of not being able to rule their own country. Why should some unelected bureaucrat in Brussels be able to make policy decisions for England? The British people want to take back control of their lives. It makes perfect sense to me.

Am I missing something, or is there another side that isn't being reported? I would love to hear from members who live in the UK what the real story is. Will there be that much civil unrest when it does happen?

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there may be some small unrest when it happens, I say MAY, but it wont amount to much and will only be the usual Anarchy mob, it will probably only be in London anyway, most British people wont have the time or the inclination.
    given the remarks from people like Donald Tusk I think the British people have at last woken up to the anti democracy that is the EU.

8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Nope you're not missing a thing, your view is exactly how most of us feel.

I doubt there will be any civil unrest. Food supplies are, as Lonewolf said, unlikely to be affected and there is also a two year transition period built into the deal s part of the exit rules.

I have upped my stored good a little, but only a little just in case there is any last minute panic buying.

9. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    How you British guys are perceiving Brexit? I work with our border police in my country a lot and they are starting to be really afraid that Brexit is literally a few days away and no one still knows, on what conditions. So they have "some" plans and 3 different laws according to the most probable possibilities, but what will happen in reality and how the rest of Europe (or just bilaterally??) will handle British citizens as they will become Third Country Nationals overnight, is it big question. No mentioning all the trade issues.

I have some friends living in the UK for a long time and they all suggest, that regular people are too tired trying to understand what is currently happening, overloaded with information changing every 2 days, so basically not giving much sh*t and waiting what is going to happen.

Btw, just found this little aggregation about Brexit prepping:

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-peppers/

10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My guess, a lot of British people are asleep at the wheel , then again I just think like a prepper / survivalist .

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most British people aren't political and have heard enough of the word Brexit and just want it over.
    I am making sure my larder and my freezers are full up but that's just me.

12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I check in on the BBC but I really can't make hides nor hair of what is happening or not happening on Brexit.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the BBC is biased in favour of remaining in the EU and is well known for it, all of their political programmes reflect this.

14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The simple fact is that Britain is still very divided about wanting to leave the EU, now that we know we're leaving we're bickering about how to leave. Leave with a deal, leave with no deal, or as Labour want leave in name only but be tied to a customs union over which we have no control? This is why the whole thing has become such a circus.
    Our parliament is reflecting the fear and inability of the population to make a sound decision. Most people just want it to be over and get on with the "brave new world" or whatever happens after.
    For the first time in my adult life I'm feeling very disengaged from politics.

As for the British population storing food there is a Facebook group who are encouraging stocking up on certain things but since I don't do FB I can't tell you much more about them other than the press have given them a disproportionate amount of coverage.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ever since the referendum the remainers both in parliament and outside have been trying to over turn the result, we have a remainer prime minister who's heart isn't in it, her deal is a crock of shit , the only deal worth going for is no deal, leave the anti democracy that the EU has become, and become a sovereign nation again. most of our exports aren't to Europe anyway, the EU is in recession and Asia is where any increase in trade will be.

16. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no skin in this game, but WHY would anyone think that giving up your sovereignty is a good idea? Relinquish the governance of your country to an unelected bureaucrat in another country who is going to make policy on how your country is run. WILLINGLY!!

You aren't a citizen. You are a subject. The British people are smarter than that, and they have fought, and paid a tremendous price to remain sovereign. Don't throw that away for some bureaucrat that will live in the lap of luxury with your taxes.

Almost slipped. I was going to say tax dollars, but they aren't dollars are they? Tax pounds just doesn't sound right.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's what the referendum was about but our politicians are as slippery as some of yours.

18. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I don't envy you that. It is shocking to me how these morons continue to get re-elected. Most of them couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well what I don't understand is how the voters in their area voted one way and these MP's vote the opposite way how they continue to remain in post.

20. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think the MPs are hoping that the voters are so retarded that they'll have forgotten all of this bickering and stupidity by the time the next election comes around.
    It's my guess that Theresa May will just get an obscure peerage and be pushed off into the House of Lords, there is zero chance of her ever being re-elected

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was talk of her resigning in the summer but I cant see it happening, she'll probably hang on until the next GE, she is safe for 12 months at least after winning the vote of confidence.

22. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love this and shall remember to use when the need arises :)

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    21 days to go.

24. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, just keep the heel for future reference. :)

25. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    President Trump just made a State Visit. Trade was one topic. China is being problematic so we have plenty of food to sell. We wouldn't let GB starve anyway. May seems to be on her way out so that is good, depending on who replaces her.

Sweden is telling their people to prep for war. The more people that prep in GB, America, and everywhere else the better.

Around the turn of the century I spent some time in Gibraltar where the EU was a common topic of discussion. My response was, "Oh yes, The United States of Europe." The guy responded, no each country will retain their severity. I suggested that he might want to study American history.

The EU is an excellent plan, just not for the people.

26. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The worry about the EU is it is not as it was originally sold, and has become a self serving behemoth. It's a shame as it was originally a very good idea, but not everything works out....

27. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Brownbear, I suspect that is is working out pretty much the way it was intended, just not the way you were told. Colour me a nonbeliever in politicians.

28. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    As continent of equal trade partners, it was a good idea and a salable concept. Global rule was always the intended goal.

The Innkeeper and Caribou like this.
  29. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  30. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Geezer, if he's right about WWIII we had all better up our game.

31. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Funny analysis from Europe - but good results. Extra food in the pantry represents goodness. Stockpiling used to be called "home economics" matters. Plus, there's a saving when using prudent principles to make the purchases.

Brexit was simmering even before the Arab money started to buy up the UK. The Brits' weak political establishment was present well prior to PM May relying on the Democratic Unionists of Northern Ireland. The Great War did much, much damage to the land north of the moat called "English Channel".

Geographically, Brexit came from Midlands and Wales. Functionally, the divided UK was all over the place less perhaps Chelsea, London. All were not sharing in the newly-created wealth of the EU. It's similar here in the US. "Rust Belt" is both a geographic location and also an expression. For the politically-oriented, must all add "the Swamp" - and it's not the Dismal Swamp or Flamingo, Florida.

The UK leaving the Confederation of the Rhine can realistically augment the US-UK "special relationship". The new British citizens of Arab ancestry didn't arrive with real skills; just the money from the oil racket. A few Brits around the North Sea oil fields might, in confidence, explain how it all works.

Besides the extra cans of herring, get a glossy photo book of Boeing aircraft products. Without the UK, Air Bus Industrie, can readjust the logistic chains to use Moldavia, Estonia, and other industrial centers on the Continent.......presuming there's no war.

Aren't all ya'all glad you kept pound sterling instead of converting to the Deutschmar ..... er ... the Euro ?

Brexit is just one of the big markers on the chart. The contest already started and I just don't know if "the West" is prepared.

The EU has a claim on the new equivalent of gold mines: the Arctic wealth. EU member Denmark, has an island - specifically "Hans Island" east northeast of Ellsmere Island, Canada - - - - - the geopolitics and the political race, - - - - - with Brexit only one event in the race, .....

Not too much is new under the Sun.

Foot Note: Consider converting the surf board into a snow mobile like Titan model.

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the trouble is whilst most of the UK outside of the London "bubble" and those EU loving Scots voted to Leave the UK parliament is made up of 80% Remainers, so if they have their way Brexit will never happen. watch this space.

33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The EU had a problem from the start. It was an attempt to set up something similar to the original idea of the US where independent states organized for the good of all. Unfortunately, it was not set up right and is doomed to fail. If the US allowed each state to print money California would print it and hand it out like toilet paper and eventually make it inflate to the point of no being even worth as much as a sheet of toilet paper.

You can't make minimum wage 10 in one state and then make it 200 in someplace else and expect the trade between the two states to flow equally. In the end, the EU seemed to be more a way to make the rich richer while entertaining the regular people with circuses.

Many of the same problems are happening in the US. The give it away states are going broke and expect the other states to finance their insanity. Californias legal population is shrinking while its illegal and criminal population is growing rapidly.

34. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    When you offer "Free Lunches" then you will attract the moochers. Those that have to pay for the "Free Lunch" finally decide to move out. This does not require a rocket scientist to figure out. Basic economic 101. The exodus will increase as the new federal tax law removes the expensive states write off's.

35. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Darned right here Texdanm.

New York was trying to get us here in Virginia to change the way we do business to support their gun control "Herding" of their people....cigarette sales as well...

The cost of "Herding " their people in New York state has gotten too high.

How much Breast feeding does New York need via other states to maintain the Herding of their people. This was one of the issues leading up to the American Civil war. Telling other states how to conduct their business in favor of Northern States.

Ishmaelites run wild.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

36. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Californication is going to give free medical to all the illegal aliens that they can crowd into their state. Americans just need to leave that hell hole and let them have all the illegal aliens that they want. We can build a wall on their border and just send every useless begger in the world to them. I don't know who is going to pay for that!!

37. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanM,

I have the answer you inherently pose as to who's going to pay for California's new health care program, the funding for a fence around California and the additional immigrants from other world areas (Later, please remind me to order an additional 10 photocopiers to copy undocumented documents.)

A small tax on all Californians and a small user fee for other Americans benefiting from California's good and services.

Personally, I hope the construction workers take the initiative and keep out of the walled section the Channel and Santa Catalina Islands. Construction site waste and debris can be hauled to where I-5 and I-80 connect.

There is value to all this. Americans are slow learners and this speeds up the learning sessions .

38. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations to our British members . First day of leaving the European Union . I wish you all the best in your quest for more freedom from the one world globlest . Celebrations are definitely in order .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    It is a "mixed bag". On the one hand I am not a fan of "superstates" at all. This is partly due to the levels of wealth inequality that seem to be rife within "superstates" and the watering down of individual identities (for example making the assumption that a New Yorker has the same viewpoint and ideals as, say, a Californian).

On the other hand some good things did come out of the EU, there is no doubt that trade was increased via the EU and some of the UK's more sensible laws were actually those imposed by the EU.

I genuinely believe that the EU's stance of encouraging former Soviet satellite countries (such as Lithuania and Latvia) into joining the EU has destabilised Europe and significantly increased the likelihood of a war between Russia and Europe, and on that basis I am of the opinion we are better out of the EU, but time will tell......

41. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been a lover of the EU, in 1975 I voted to remain in a "trading agreement", that made sense, Britain has always been a trading nation and has for centuries been known as a nation of shopkeepers, but that all changed in 1992 when the EEC morphed into the EU and all the political crap started, after the referendum in 2016 when I and many other voted leave, the EU showed its true colours and the threats and bullying became more obvious.
    we are well off out, once our "budget" payments stop I think the EU countries will find it very hard if not impossible to plug the considerable financial black hole.
    there are already mutterings in Italy, Poland and Hungary about leaving, so far that is only talk, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EU ceases to exist within say a decade, the "European Project" has had its day and it dosent work, one size does not fit 27 countries and eventually they will realise as much. cooperation is one thing but the EU is a dictatorship and all dictators eventually fall.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  42. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree Lonewolf, the UK simply did not get what it signed up for.

I have had long standing concerns regarding the agenda of the EU and the conduct of all parties in the Brexit negotiations have reinforced those concerns for me.

43. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    We have now got out from under the Jackboots of the Germans 3 times, everyone knows that Germany runs the EU along with their slaves the French, when Germany says "jump" the French ask "how high", the EU has long been known in Britain as the "4th Reich".
    lets not make it 4 times!!

44. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    That is the ultimate concern. Germany has an appalling record in Europe for warmongering. It is quite worrying that they seek to dominate Europe. Twice we have had world wars in just over 100 years instigated by Germany on both occasions. The thought of it happening again is dreadful. We can only hope that the lessons have been learned.

45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Those Traitors the Remainers are now talking about becoming "Rejoiners" so don't anyone take their eye of the ball just yet.

46. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have no doubt that there will be a lot of momentum to attempt to rejoin. The problem is that if we did rejoin it would, most likely, be on very unfavourable terms.

There was always going to be friction, the vote was quite close and whichever way it went half the people would be unhappy. Ironically it was one of the more democratic votes the UK has seen, very high turnout for the vote etc.

I hear many people saying that we were lied to by the leave campaign, but politicians lie, that's what they do (as Lemmy famously once said in an interview "that's their job").

I do find myself wondering, at times, whether if the remain campaign had been successful that the leave camp would have been as vocal in their loss. I guess we will never know.

47. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Brownbear,

Hope is a desirable trait and I join you.

The lessons might have been learned but they were not acted on. Germany and some of their western neighbors will be getting their energy from Russia (Nord Stream 2 under the Baltic). Poland is now in NATO. Get the non-Prepper kit ready.

The real, overall, lesson not learned is that the nation-state as also a welfare state does not allow for peace. It generates conflict. The skinheads of Greece, Hungary and Germany have not faded away. They're counterparts are here in the States also.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Good grief. Last night on FoxNews prime time I didn't hear anything about this that I recall. All they were talking about as they have been was the impeachment shit storm crap which I'm getting mighty tired of hearing about. I just hope this impeachment crap wraps up quick, Trump gets his due four years more and the Dems try again. Maybe if they pout and shout load enough in 2024 they'll have another douchebag in the highest office of the land once again.

At any rate, Congrats. to the UK for getting out of the clutches of globalism BS. They'll be much better for it in the long run without the red tape and BS to contend with. Now I don't live over there, but I heard a good majority of the people wanted out.

Now lets hope this is a catalyst for the rest of Europe to exit as well.

49. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think we should now have another "I'm backing Britain" campaign and a "buy British" one.

50. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    In the UK a lot of our gas comes from Russia. It bewilders me as if we fall out with the Russians they simply turn off the tap.

Similarly in the UK air of Nato a lot of our army vehicles are made by MAN, a German company, in the Poland factory. What if there is a European war?

We have skinheads in the UK and the skinhead music fashion was taken over by extreme right wingers and Neo-nazis decades ago.