Brits Storing Food In Anticipation Of Brexit

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Old Geezer, Feb 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It is in the news -- I'm including a few links -- that in Britain many people are storing back food due to their fears that divorcing from the European Union will result in the truncation of food supplies to their country.

I'm sitting here on the Yank side of the pond. I'm observing and reading, yet I've zero on-the-streets knowledge of what's really going on. Were I in Britain, I'd be prepping all right! About SHTF issues, I'd be a whole lot more worried living there than here. However, I'd not be panicking over Brexit. I'd just be gathering all the silver coins I could put my hands on.

We are fortunate to have on this site no shortage of those who currently live or have lived in Great Briton. So, what's the story?! Are these news stories just so much more fake news -- Lord knows that we are lied to and perpetually so. Or, are people actually terrified of being divorced from the Big Brother machine of Europe?!

Help us! O ye souls residing across the drink, do please enlighten us of the truth of the situation. Tell us what is going on. I hear of no panic in the streets, yet it indeed seems odd to read of people actually putting back stores. Obviously there's blood being besotted with adrenaline. Help key us in!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...stockpiling-in-case-of-messy-brexit-1.3591207

Here's a panic piece by the communist rag Vanity Fair:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/britain-begins-stockpiling-for-the-brexit-apocalypse

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-brexit-survival-guide-what-food-to-stockpile

As a last note, we here in the Americas will sell you all the food you need and then some. Need cosmetics or pharmaceuticals or whatever, we got it, we have it for sale. I love Scottish wool products. English medical supplies are top quality. You folk make all manner of things that will serve as trade. There are stores here in the states that sell products for use in the home and their products are Brit. And everyone takes silver. I've bought British sterling. So for God's sake, tell your mates over there not to panic!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical and TexDanm like this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with you Old Geezer. With all the money and food that we throw at countries and people that hate us and are basically our Enemies I see less than no problem helping the one true ally we have had over the last many years.

If your leftist government will allow it a right wing America will never turn its back on you. Personally from what I've managed to read about the situation, Brexit is about the best thing that you can do. Sometimes in a messed up bad situation getting out and taking the loss is better than staying in and going down with the ship.

The Euro is a scary idea when you have some member countries handing them out to their citizenry like candy without there being and backing in the sense of value. They can then go to other countries and spend their valueless currency and devalue it there. If allowed to continue, eventually places like Greece with crash the entire European economy.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Greece and Italy and Spain ...

Think that the German economy, the German people, will prop-up this catastrophe forever? Anybody can go bankrupt.

To survive, a drug dealer doesn't use the product. The house doesn't gamble. If they do, they too crash and burn.

Get out the popcorn. Get out the beer. Things are soon going to go "interesting" across an Atlantic from here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree and unfortunately I suspect that the end result will be another world war. A war at this time will kill millions not even counting the loses of the people actively involved in the action. We are at a point in time more similar to that preceding WW1 than WW2. Lots of places are on the cusp of famine or drought caused crop failures. With a war going on there just won't be the resources available to continue feeding the over populated places that even now are on the edge.

As far as Germany supporting them...They had better be prepared for the Germans to rule them! Germany is a wolf among poodles. I'm not sure that the Brits and America will be able to pull their butts out of the fire a third time. I'm not even sure that we should try...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most of this is fake news, oh sure there are a few stories in the press of people storing food in anticipation of Brexit but they are few and far between and most people are NOT storing food.
    this is Britain in the 21st century, do they really think food will stop coming into the country? in any case over half of the imports do NOT come from Europe they come from places like Brazil, New Zealand, Africa and the like, and those supplies will not stop.
    people also seem to forget Britain is a farming nation and we currently grow 57% of all our food domestically.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I have always thought that Brexit was a good thing. My take from what I have seen in the media, and what I have read is that the British people are tired of not being able to rule their own country. Why should some unelected bureaucrat in Brussels be able to make policy decisions for England? The British people want to take back control of their lives. It makes perfect sense to me.

Am I missing something, or is there another side that isn't being reported? I would love to hear from members who live in the UK what the real story is. Will there be that much civil unrest when it does happen?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there may be some small unrest when it happens, I say MAY, but it wont amount to much and will only be the usual Anarchy mob, it will probably only be in London anyway, most British people wont have the time or the inclination.
    given the remarks from people like Donald Tusk I think the British people have at last woken up to the anti democracy that is the EU.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Nope you're not missing a thing, your view is exactly how most of us feel.

I doubt there will be any civil unrest. Food supplies are, as Lonewolf said, unlikely to be affected and there is also a two year transition period built into the deal s part of the exit rules.

I have upped my stored good a little, but only a little just in case there is any last minute panic buying.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    How you British guys are perceiving Brexit? I work with our border police in my country a lot and they are starting to be really afraid that Brexit is literally a few days away and no one still knows, on what conditions. So they have "some" plans and 3 different laws according to the most probable possibilities, but what will happen in reality and how the rest of Europe (or just bilaterally??) will handle British citizens as they will become Third Country Nationals overnight, is it big question. No mentioning all the trade issues.

I have some friends living in the UK for a long time and they all suggest, that regular people are too tired trying to understand what is currently happening, overloaded with information changing every 2 days, so basically not giving much sh*t and waiting what is going to happen.

Btw, just found this little aggregation about Brexit prepping:

https://qz.com/1558100/inside-the-minds-of-the-uks-most-stressed-out-brexit-peppers/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    My guess, a lot of British people are asleep at the wheel , then again I just think like a prepper / survivalist .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most British people aren't political and have heard enough of the word Brexit and just want it over.
    I am making sure my larder and my freezers are full up but that's just me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    I check in on the BBC but I really can't make hides nor hair of what is happening or not happening on Brexit.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the BBC is biased in favour of remaining in the EU and is well known for it, all of their political programmes reflect this.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The simple fact is that Britain is still very divided about wanting to leave the EU, now that we know we're leaving we're bickering about how to leave. Leave with a deal, leave with no deal, or as Labour want leave in name only but be tied to a customs union over which we have no control? This is why the whole thing has become such a circus.
    Our parliament is reflecting the fear and inability of the population to make a sound decision. Most people just want it to be over and get on with the "brave new world" or whatever happens after.
    For the first time in my adult life I'm feeling very disengaged from politics.

As for the British population storing food there is a Facebook group who are encouraging stocking up on certain things but since I don't do FB I can't tell you much more about them other than the press have given them a disproportionate amount of coverage.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ever since the referendum the remainers both in parliament and outside have been trying to over turn the result, we have a remainer prime minister who's heart isn't in it, her deal is a crock of shit , the only deal worth going for is no deal, leave the anti democracy that the EU has become, and become a sovereign nation again. most of our exports aren't to Europe anyway, the EU is in recession and Asia is where any increase in trade will be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I have no skin in this game, but WHY would anyone think that giving up your sovereignty is a good idea? Relinquish the governance of your country to an unelected bureaucrat in another country who is going to make policy on how your country is run. WILLINGLY!!

You aren't a citizen. You are a subject. The British people are smarter than that, and they have fought, and paid a tremendous price to remain sovereign. Don't throw that away for some bureaucrat that will live in the lap of luxury with your taxes.

Almost slipped. I was going to say tax dollars, but they aren't dollars are they? Tax pounds just doesn't sound right.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's what the referendum was about but our politicians are as slippery as some of yours.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  18. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Well I don't envy you that. It is shocking to me how these morons continue to get re-elected. Most of them couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel.

Brownbear, Yenix and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well what I don't understand is how the voters in their area voted one way and these MP's vote the opposite way how they continue to remain in post.

Yenix and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I think the MPs are hoping that the voters are so retarded that they'll have forgotten all of this bickering and stupidity by the time the next election comes around.
    It's my guess that Theresa May will just get an obscure peerage and be pushed off into the House of Lords, there is zero chance of her ever being re-elected

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was talk of her resigning in the summer but I cant see it happening, she'll probably hang on until the next GE, she is safe for 12 months at least after winning the vote of confidence.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love this and shall remember to use when the need arises :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    21 days to go.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, just keep the heel for future reference. :)

TMT Tactical likes this.