Broke, Homeless for 2 weeks. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by OfTheEarth, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I could potentially be done in a week, but hey, I'm loving it out here. Allow me to explain.

So I kind of messed up with my $ flow right around when I lost my place to stay, had nothing to my name, etc. I had friends around, but I consider this my responsibility, so I didn't tell anyone that I was homeless.

And then I found my zen. It was beautiful. I am so blissfully aware of life now, I am happy looking at the squirrels eat bugs, I have found my true nature...truly a spiritual experience. I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

Being the charming cadet I am, I have places to stay in about 2 weeks in a very, very nice region of California.

Until then though, I have an intermittent pay schedule, patchy access to wifi (Oh thank heavens for starbucks wifi, some of the employees give you sideways glances if you stay too long but they're mostly friendly) and I refuse to beg. I have been spontaneously given $2, $5 and its been over a month, just going on my own abilities.

I love it. I foraged apricots and black cherries - the plums are coming into season too, and I know how to live in high health off of fruit. I used to live next door to a raw vegan/fruitarian, guy was an absolute machine, totally changed my perspective on what was possible with raw food.

Right now I have a few patchy ways to make money, but they're exhausting and I still gotta make it two weeks. I really, really want to have some fun - it's been 43 days, and though I'm having the time of my life (I consider this more extreme freedoming than homelessness), I still have my personality, and I like to do fun stuff as often as possible.

Again, 2 weeks away from having a spot - the owner of the home is on vacation for 2 more weeks, there is no key here and though they told me they could disable the security and I could try to break in, I told them I appreciated the challenge more.

It's been a lot more badass, but I can't talk about all that in a single post without boring you.

Anyways, any recommendations on stuff I could do? I just want some extra cash in my pocket so I can do something fun, 43 days of carrying heavy stuff around in 100+ degree weather is turning me into a grouch, and I just wanna grab some drinks and talk to strangers about all the shit I've been through.

Cheers, thanks for reading the whole way :)
    -OTE

2. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you have access to wifi, and don't mind sleeping on someone's couch, there's a website called couchsurfing.com, where a family or individual offers free accommodation, and many people are still kind and helpful these days. Many people like to go on vacation or backpack across the state, whatever, and sleep like this. Sometimes it's not a couch, it's a spare bedroom. Always go with your gut instinct, though. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.

Also, the people who offer their couch might allow you to store your backpack in the garage for a few hours, or a day.

Often, bus or train terminals have lockers you could rent to store your stuff for a set amount of time. But that takes a little money, and you indicated you're short on cash.

I always thought if I were going across country this way, since I have 20+ years of janitorial experience, that I would check out the phone book or google janitorial services in the town I was going to visit, and tell them I'm looking for part time work, just a few hours per week. Many of them pay per job, so you could get paid the same day.

Other jobs that pay the same day, are yard raking or mowing--they'd have the equipment. Or waiting tables, doing dish-washing jobs. The waiting would be better because of tips.

Dog walking would be another quick cash earner. Let us know how everything turned out, okay?

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Broke homeless on street is a choice there are just too many places to get help churches clubs all have places to go ask for help free food free clothing free shelter is there you just have to ask

hades_leae likes this.
  4. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When my 8 yr old son and I were homeless (for about 3 weeks) back in the late 80's, we were in a strange town--knew no one---and we never even thought about asking churches or anyone for help. It was embarrassing enough just knowing I had gotten us into that jam. We were sleeping in our car and eating free samples in the local grocery store. I tried to find work, but no one would hire me knowing we had to "live in" and me with a small child.

I would have loved to work. Sometimes, you just gotta do what needs to be done. It should be easier to match people who want to work with jobs that need to be done. Not everyone wants a 30 year career in an office.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I give stuff i raise to a church in pittsburg the red door its referred to as it helps anyone 24/7 they never close they feed shelter and help anyone who opens that door pride is a hard thing to swallow but to ask for help when you need it is the best thing to do

6. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I admire you so much for doing that! It must be an unbelievable feeling to be free, despite being homeless, and not be worried of the ''Homeless'' status.In my country, there are organizations that help homeless people, and you could try those for extra clothes, and maybe they would give you shelter.I'm not sure how things work there, but since you're on your way to making money, you could try to sharing a house with a friend.

7. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There was a time I found myself in such a forsaken situation with noone to turn to since I didn't want to tell them my problems. The thought of sleeping outside was scary and so I talked to a certain landlord to allow me one month's rent on credit. At the end of the day, it all depends on the area you are in and the security situation. But I find it hard to survive without cash and grab any manual jobs that come my way.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You are in a rough spot right now but that does not mean your life will always be that way.
    I know how hard it is to ask for help. I have experienced it so many times before.
    Maybe there are friends or family members who could help you financially until you get on your feet.
    I would definitely check out the couch surfing because that is a good idea and it would help you to be covered for you emergency situation.
    Other than that, I am sure you can find cheap apartments close to the universities that students rent out.
    I would also try to get help at social organizations, such as salvation army or human rights organizations, even the churches, homeless shelters, etc.
    There is help out there but you have to stay strong.

9. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Sure one could easily get that much help, but what do you do when you can't find a job because of your record? There are plenty of people out there who can't find work, but want to provide for themselves, and they let pride keep them from taking hand outs. It may be a choice, but for lots of people, it really isn't. There men getting out of the army who can't find work, they can't get benefits so they end up homeless as well.

Lots of people have different situations. I would never blame the person for being homeless unless I knew their situation first. I lost all of my stuff because I got a record. I couldn't find work for a long time, and I looked hard. I just had to go to another city far away, which sucked.

10. Dunn

Dunn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Don’t give up. There is always hope so don’t give up on that hope. It may feel like you will never get your life on track.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    For whatever it is worth, the Salvation Army has shelter for the homeless. As you have Internet access, you can find a location near you here. Good luck and stay safe.

12. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that. Remain steadfast and continue to look for ways to earn legitimately. One day, you will get out of this and look back with a smile.

13. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Few things to manage here is first you have to find out shelter. Second you have to find out job as low as it can pay. But just get started somewhere. After that you have to save money and get yourself a place. You can even get to work near that place. This should be your approach. What happened earlier is past, what you choose to do now is a way to go. You can make progress this way. All the best for the rest.

14. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    i wonder how long you will be doing this. You have refused to ask for asistance from even your friends. I begin to wonder if they are really your friends. But come to think about it, your having access to wifi without permission, is it not an act of begging?

just thinking aloud. LOL

15. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    As many others already mentioned couch surfing is a great idea, if you have free wifi, search for it.
    I know it's hard to ask for help, been there done that. But right now I think it would be the best to ask your friends if they can help. Not exactly with money, but maybe they know a part time job or something like that.
    Stay safe!

16. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    A touching experience. I wonder, how is the weather there? Hot or cold? What are you sleeping on, where do you shower?

17. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    2 weeks is that all?