Bugging in or bugging out ?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by James261, Feb 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering, who is bugging in or bugging out when the shtf ? and the reasons why ?

2. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Bugging in, but have a bug out plan and location if needed...

Reason: I own 50 acres, highest point for about 3 miles...easy to defen and has all the resources needed to sustain.

Bug out... Anyone can be over ran, as a preper I would hope you would cover that as a possibility.

James261 likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    bugging in until I have no option but to bug out.
    I live on the very edge of a small English rural market town(PARISH population 2,000) surrounded by fields of sheep and cattle and wildlife, most British preppers I know say I have bugged out already.

James261 likes this.
  4. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm staying put with family until we have to bug out, I have a bug out location that I have already cached with supplies. I don't see the point of giving up a comfortable position unless I have to.

5. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am so jealous of the Jim, 50acres, your living my dream

TheJim likes this.
  6. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Lol mine too... Plenty of land out in the sticks....but at the price of 75 mile drive to work...so yes I ALWAYS have a get home bag well equipped... 2-3 days to get home on foot on my "country route"

James261 likes this.
  7. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Lucky you, I'm retired now. The trouble with England is that it is so small. Land is so expensive here. Yeah I`ve always had a get home bag in my old range rover for many years now. I always try and remain the "Grey Man" my vehicle is old but I`ve had all the engine, brakes and running gear uprated and serviced. The drive you have would not bother me. Enjoy your home my friend

TheJim likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "the trouble with England is that it is so small", how many times have I heard that?
    its not true if you know differently, but i'm quite happy for people to think like this, makes my corner of south west England a bit safer.
    its probably true if someone lives near one of our large multicultural cities, but luckily I don't.

9. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    What I meant was, with the size of England, buying good quality land that can hold livestock and arable land in a fairly rural location is pricey

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah tell me about it, I have been trying to find some land to buy down here, but the prices they ask are just crazy.

James261 likes this.
  11. Kit

Kit Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I will be bugging g In. If the normal person in car comes by my house they are lost that's how far I am in the sticks in kansas

TheJim likes this.
  12. James261

James261 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Its the same all over the country and its getting worse

13. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Prepair for the worst, hope for the best.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    always been my motto, Charles.

15. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir, so being prepared to shelter in place, evacuate to a more defensible/hospitable location as well as becoming transient are all part of the package.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    flexibility is key. being able to adapt to the ongoing situation.

17. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir, that it is.

18. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Well my first retreat was over run by local locals
    Relocated to a second retreat but lost that in a divorce and am now selling my third retreat
    because as I am ageing I can not handle the distances involved!
    Any one interested in buying a partially completed retreat?
    1254 acres, 8 dams, wild pig, goat, deer in abundance, one steel shed and foundations for house laid
    3,000 bricks on site! $A250,000 or about 220,000euro:)

19. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Where are you going ? How are you getting there ? I own my land im here ! I have the tools and equipment on had. My older machines run fine on shine that i can make from the corn i grow its a renewable source you bug out of whereever and try to survive im well prepared after years of work so dont be upset if when you bugout and try to come here i shoot you and dig a hole with the backhoe and roll you in without ever haveing to come close to ya its survive and i plan on it

20. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Once sold retreat number four will materialise much much closer and it will be a live in retreat just a lot smaller

At the old place just the fence and track maintanence is a full time job with 14km of fence and about the same in tracks
    is a great place but after a bout of cancer and old age creeping up on me a slave to my land is not my idea of fun!
    Will be looking for 5-10 acres closer to town.

21. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    You really do have a thing about shooting and burying people, maybe you should get that checked out?

Can't be good for you!

22. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to my safety and survival yep i see my docs on a reagler visits my head doc has even came to my home she was very impressed at what we have done here now if you can not adjust to and understand why when shtf im dropping all pople not of my group good luck to you but i dont think you will make it

23. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am not in the USA I am in a civilized country where very little violence happens!
    Very safe over here unless you are involved in drugs etc or domestics
    Not a dog eat dog world like the USA

Any looser idiot can get a gun over there but in AUS you have to be a special looser idiot to get a firearms licence!
    Not many specials over here but I am!
    I know I am special because my mum told me so and I went on a special bus to a special school with many other special people!
    and I can spell words like special!
    reagler pople just don't understand special pople like me!

24. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    There are over 8 million legal guns in the usa the problem isnt us my guns have never broke any law it people that have their guns buy them off street or steal that are the trouble the goverment and news reports gun crimes and blows the story up to try to put it in the minds of fools that guns are bad

25. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Won't argue there
    Our problem here is idiots and fast cars!

And over here 90% of the crime is committed by just 1% of the population
    A single family moving into a suburb can send the crime rate off the scale!

an example one family moved into my suburb of about 12,000 people , after three months when finally caught
    that single family accounted for over 200 break and enters, 28 vehicle thefts and 62 attempted thefts, 16 assaults
    4 rapes and 9 attempted rapes a heap of armed robberies, lots a fuel drive offs and some prostitution charges
    That was 92% of all crimes in that area!

26. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I cant think of a crime here where i live in 30 years people dont come here much. Its all pruvate land and its posted as such you coe here you send you outwe do this because e dont want you hereit us being us

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we are very law abiding where I live, we only had one crime in the last 7 years and that was a gang from far away who robbed the one and only ATM.

28. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    I figure that I will bug in for as long as I can. Once my family all links up with me and I think that we are ready or, if the need arrives, that is when I bug out. I know that you can only live out of a rucksack for a very limited amount of time. That limited amount of time boils down to just a few days. After a few days, the person with the rucksack needs to have a means of resupplying themselves in some fashion. Anybody planning to "live off the land" is living in a dreamland. Living off the land isn't as easy as most people think. Living off the land can be done BUT it takes luck, determination and skill. People who just flee the city or urban areas who don't know how to track or read trail signs will have problems locating wild game for food and even more problems when they don't know how to skin, clean and prepare that game for cooking. So there is a LOT more to bugging out than most people will ever understand. Just grabbing a rucksack and heading out isn't the answer. Planning ahead, preparing and practicing your skills - in advance - will be what saves your life in the long run.