Bugout Or Bug Out In Place?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by AJFKDEM, Dec 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. AJFKDEM

AJFKDEM Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    Who's doing what, and why?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are living off grid in a forest. We have two houses & one of my three sons & his family are living here with us. My other two sons & their families are living not far away in local towns. If TSHTF, the rest of our family & some friends will join us here in the forest. We have everything we need here to survive long term, & we have the arms & people to protect what we have. IF for some reason we had to leave here, we are prepared, both in equipment & skills.
    Why? Because I have spent most of my life living in the bush, I don't like life in the cities or even in a small town. I like to be self-reliant & self-sufficient. I would not want to be reliant on anyone else for services. The life I live is a healthier lifestyle than living in town. Research has proven that people live a longer healthier life if they have access to green areas. Our houses are completely self-sufficient & we grow our own food.
    Welcome to this forum AJFKDEM.
    Keith.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lucky you, Keith H.! I'm from Southern Appalachia, but am currently living in an area adjacent to a region wherein the cancerous Left has invaded. Where I'm at will be semi-safe, however my trust in this area is not over-the-top. We'll likely have to bug out, but to where? Our youngest son is a homeowner, yet his place is small and there is little land. My oldest son is crippled, downright handicapped. Our other child passed away. I've been putting together plans of how to get out and what to take as barter. Finding the place to go is the sticky-wicket. Maybe I'll buy a place the owners can't afford. Best situation would be to find someone with land and usable structures who is in deep doo-doo financially. This person maybe I could bail-out & make-friends-with; in return, we could live there or adjacent. The area would have to be close to our youngest son. The people there can be the nicest people on Earth or mean rednecks = gotta be careful. Me, my life is about over, so my goals are to keep others afloat until I die or get killed. People in my situation have a profoundly complex situation to sort through. Reading your story, Keith H. was refreshing. I want to see good people getting through what is coming to help rebuild America on the other side of whatever SHTF event(s) occur. Call me cold-hearted, but as far as I'm concerned the urbanites who've sold their souls can just swim out to sea.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm bugging in, bugging out will be an action of last resort when its not safe to remain here, which I don't expect will ever happen, most Brits think I have bugged out already because of where I live.:D
    if the event unfolds as I believe it will, rebuilding will be for future generations- if at all.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. AJFKDEM

AJFKDEM Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcome, Keith. Your place and family plan sound great.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. AJFKDEM

AJFKDEM Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    Me and the Mrs will be staying put. Live in a small town, about 1800 people...surrounded by farm land and cattle...probably 100 head or more for each person. Hunting and fishing are very close. And, we have a creek out back that's wet year round. Eating will be covered, I think. The people here are the ultimate "small town mentality" types, take care of others and share, and already "battle" tested by a couple of tornados that took out big portions of the town. Everyone is pretty well armed, as well. I am about a third of the way to having a years supply of food stashed as well, which will be quite useful in supplementing our diet and in bartering for things we may end up needing.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We had to pay off our first piece of land Old Geezer, that was up in the Territory. We sold that & moved before purchasing elsewhere because (A) we thought we had a place lined up, & (B) because I really wanted to leave the Territory. The place we had lined up fell through, it was not as advertised! I took a job as a minder/bodyguard for a woman who was trying to sell her property. We hoped to be able to purchase some land from my employer. She was unable to divide the land, so that fell through. But, whilst we were there we heard of a farmer who could subdivide his land & he needed money to do some clearing. We checked it out & it was perfect. He did screw us over on the amount of land, but at least we found somewhere to live, & there was enough land. That is where we are now, in New England NSW.
    Keith.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like it could work, especially if you have good close neighbours. Good one.
    Keith.