Building A Container Home

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by containercabin, Dec 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

?

Would you live in a shipping container?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. containercabin

containercabin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I are building a cabin out of a shipping container. Just wanted to share and also get feedback from anyone else who has done the same. Here is our blog:

containercabinproject.com

We have been learning a ton and can help answer any questions you have. Here is the cabin so far...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. We plan to share phases of the project here as well. We are about to add solar. Does anyone have any experience with solar kits and can recommend a good one?

Jim Byrnes jr likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of our sons has been thinking about using a container for a house. One warning we did get was be careful to give it a good cleaning inside before adding cladding. Apparently some shipping containers have been used for shipping chemicals & over time these chemicals can get into the joints & corners of the container. I daresay if these were harmful chemicals this could become a problem.
    Keith.

3. containercabin

containercabin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi Keith! Yeah, I have heard that too. We did a deep clean and then sealed the floors with a sealant before adding hardwoods over the subfloor. If we do another one I may buy a one-use container.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, well done.
    Keith.

5. Jim Byrnes jr

Jim Byrnes jr New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Do you have pictures of inside?

6. Jim Byrnes jr

Jim Byrnes jr New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've spent a lot of time inside portacabins, I was under the impression containers are very flimsy, obviously they are made to carry goods not to be lived in by humans, and I was told the walls wont stop a bullet.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Container are a affordable way to go i have a work shop and storeage build out of two ground it well !!! For a small short in power can be very harmful