Bushcraft Knives

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Dave3006, Jan 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dave3006

Dave3006 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would like to know about what people carry for knives when bushcrafting. Maybe even the manufacturer and model number.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Tom Williams likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I never divulge personal information.
    its called OPSEC.

3. Dave3006

Dave3006 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Probably a good answer. Maybe I just should have asked about bushcraft knives and what people like best.

Please remove this thread if needed after the changes.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. VARGRWOLF

VARGRWOLF Well-Known Member
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    Isn't the point of this group to share info. Mines an schf 52 for chopping and mora companion for finer tasks. Not too expensive but worth your money.

5. Dave3006

Dave3006 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I should have said what I use. My chopping, batoning, etc. is schf37m (m is for the micarta grips). I think we have cousin knives, the 37 and 52. I did buy a Schrade 15 1/2" hatchet with a ferro rod in the grip (has nice O rings to keep it water tight). On some of my upcoming excursions, I plan to use the hatchet for some of the heavier tasks. I think both have very good prices on them. And, I also have the Mora companion.

Depending on what I'm doing, like if I'm hunting, I do have a couple Kershaws that I carry. When I get back to camp, the schf37m will do a nice job of busting a pelvic bone on a deer and probably any large game. I don't carry much on my pants' belt. I have a molle vest with duty belt that does very well for distributing weight so I might carry a little more than others.

6. VARGRWOLF

VARGRWOLF Well-Known Member
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    I didn't care for the under jumping of the 36-38 models so I bought a schf 9 but prefer a straight belly hence getting a 52 with the tpe handle scales.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I carry a old timer 3blade pocket knife. Now 40 -50dollars i have a buck.sheath knife allso carry a leaterman multitool both were gifts these are allways on me

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I carry a old timer 3 blade pocket knife a buck sheath knife and a leatherman multitool. Allways a must have is a set of stones to keep them in working order i use a lansky set for this

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I carry a leatherman supertool well used for 15 years!
    A very cheap small and light fixed blade for everyday use
    A lightweight very sharp and pointy 8in bowie knife for emergencies!
    and either an Ontario machete or a cheap 1lb hand axe reprofiled and sharpened!

I have dozens of other knives but they collect dust
    The $6 fixed blade knife gets used the most, with a 4in blade a comfortable handle and light weight it beats the others hands down!
    and I use cheap tungsten carbide v type sharpeners! the stone sharpening blocks gather dust with the expensive knives in the shed!