Cabin-fever Aspects Of A Quarantine

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Pragmatist, Feb 22, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-quarantine-idUSKCN20G0AY

Good morning all,

Per ...

The Hubei, China quarantine produces the "cabin-fever" aspects for the younger generation.

Li, ask your grandparent if they know of any of the World War II stories. White rice, cabbage and peanuts is far from suffering.

Note 31 year old Vicki Yi's mention of the "Stanford prison experiment".

From an American aspect, I did a little of "sealed management". An emergency shelter requires registrants to sign out and in every time leaving the place. Working nights as a volunteer emergency responder, I frequently had to tell - not ask - people not to smoke where the extra medical oxygen was stored. I cannot go further but can only say: Don't think our country is the same as it used to be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot of people seem to be suffering with some form of "cabin fever" at the moment, I suppose if your someone who is socially very active then the lockdown could have an effect on your mental health.
    good job I'm an anti social recluse then!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Cabin fever has never been an issue for me. Maybe it has come with age, but I enjoy staying home. One of my favorite jokes/sayings. "I am doing some mechanical work this weekend. I am going to put a rear end in a recliner." I could very easily be a recluse/hermit.

We used to be social butterflies. My wife still wants to socialize frequently, but she is at extreme high risk, so she has been relegated to using the phone. I will accept being the exception to the rule, but I just don't get all these "mental aspects" of the quarantine, and have very little patience with it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

LOL ! "rear end in a recliner" ... My day is made even with daily headaches from COVID. Memories returned from times of shade tree car maintenance - ignition timing, dwell, spark plug gapper, the solvents to get to the rear end stuff. Again, Mercy. My day is made !

Cabin fever is just one aspect to address - learn about, study and prepare for. I developed preventive measures from procedures I developed from dental appointments - actually not dental; Old Geezer explained my ailment better due gum disease. I knew I couldn't eat for some time after each appointment and to prevent cravings of any type, made plans and assembled stuff to keep my mind occupied. Got my favorite magazines and newspapers in a pile. Had shortwave radio loaded with new batteries, got some needles loaded with thread to sew some insignia patches to a large "chart" - a poncho liner, a/k/a a sponge. Enough to keep me busy for a ... like that song ... long, long, time.

My cabin fever for GOOD/any evac has a couple of those small books available at Barnes and Noble in a vest pocket along with the ultra lightweight Grundig AMFMSW radio.

So far I'm here - although in daylight I can't see the dash board's readings in truck with the electronic system.

"It was the best of times - It was the worst of times".

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Communist university professors are now in full-bore rewriting history mode. One of the central rewrites involves attacking the Stanford Prison Experiment. According to these taxpayer-paid Bolsheviks that study was profoundly flawed, thus invalid.

The aggressor Left cannot allow youth to believe the known truth of "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." To the Left, centralized power is necessary to control the population. The elite consider us their inferiors, thus we must be disarmed and our children & grandchildren indoctrinated to hold to the new official government religion of Secular Humanism. This also is why the Left so viciously attacks Christianity -- to them the material world is god, Gaia is the goddess. They want places of worship turned into museums just as did the Soviets.

"We Elite are not corrupted by power! We follow Holy Science. You must follow or the Earth will die!!! Submit to your superiors!"

The History books are burning. Liberty is burning. The Constitution is burning. The Left is nailing the Galilean to the cross yet again.

"Turn in your firearms and get on the trains. We will take you to our Utopia!"

"If we can't crush you, understand that we will seduce your children!"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't get cabin fever. When I'm not working in my essential services job there is so much other things needing done at home, I'm busy. Now if I was stuck in the house and could not leave. That may be a different story but I have a few months of projects on the books that can be finished in my inhouse workshop. In addition a big library of books that some have not been read.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most of us here don't get cabin fever, its the sheeple that are climbing the walls and freaking out.
    its only been 7 or 8 weeks here since lockdown began and its slowly being lifted, I wonder what they would do if they had to hunker down for 3 months, 6 months, a year??

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    this has been one of the best times of my life LOL. Even though I have been working, it hasn't been steady. I've had extra time to do things. Built a table for the porch, cut logs and peeled them for a roof over a old camper trailer. Cut and hauled out some cedar for the corner posts. Installed a Sheetmetal roof on a addition, cut out some trails, cut some firewood. Have a bunch of ax heads, shovel heads, hammer heads, pick aroons, cant hooks, been putting handles on them. Made up a bone handled knife with tin bolster, made up a twisted wire fork from a couch spring. Refinished a rifle stock and installed sling swivels. I could go on. Rototilled the garden, collected some spruce pitch, collected some chaga. It's about average for me but the pace has picked up with the extra time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

One matter frequently showing up here is the use of a word with different definitions used by different Forum Members.

True, the traditional meaning of "cabin fever" meant stuck in the isolated cabin for a long time, eg snowed-in during the winter snows and becoming irritable, stressed-out,...

Another meaning of cabin fever is the annoyance and cost of being isolated by governmental fiat.

I am far from being bored and thrive in the WORST of times but I'm still obliged to drive to a rural post office to retrieve mail.

"Cabin fever" can now mean strict isolation by fiat and applicable to urban areas also.

The basic "cabin fever" is solvable by preparing for it or relocating. We're experiencing governmental directives that somewhat substantially change our life-routines AT A COST TO US. I am not allowed to drive to out of area stores for better and less costly foods, supplies - and I also help other prep for hurricane season arriving soon - because of poorly-thought out quarantine programs that cause irritation and mental anguish and additional costs. This is a newer meaning of "cabin fever".

Feet Notes:

1. Some hospital admissions statistics for confirmed COVID cases were from patients' homes - no involvement of social distancing, related public rules, eg no handshakes, no buffet restaurant dining.

2. In Virginia, churches/houses of worship can hold services at 50% capacity of usual permit rule. Eg routine attendance of 200 people can now only be 100. Another current rule in Virginia is no group meetings of 10 or more. My irritation comes from poor-quality government and not from being stuck here in my well-stocked BOP.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    cabin fever to me means strict isolation, in this case caused by the societal lockdown organised by the UK government due to corona virus. it can mean urban or rural.
    personally, it wouldn't worry me if I never saw another person outside the home, but most people are "social animals" and it would be purgatory for the many.
    that I think is the difference between a loner who can function alone and the vast majority who could not and would not.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Lonewolf on this one, to me cabin fever is when your in lone isolation and the brain don't get the audio/visual/sensory stimulation it needs to stay healthy but you can get a form of it when with others, prisoner for instance who go 'stir crazy'

I theory you shouldn't get it today even cooped up in a small apartment what with the internet and social media etc but some people just don't handle it well, maybe they are a bit frail mentally.

I'll be honest I do get a bit peed off when I see people moaning about their 'human rights' or some Amendment or whatever is being abused, FFS this is a global event and really you need to shut up, man up, suck it up and get on with helping yourself and others get through this period THEN moan.

BBC Radio 4 was talking with a 103 year old women and talked about the virus and she said pretty much what I said, people need to stop moaning and pull together to get through this. When asked what she wanted to do she replied "carry on living until the Lord calls me" and that just about sums up my feeling too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't understand most people most of the time, its not like they are just staring at 4 walls, there is radio, there is television, there is the internet.
    we are allowed in our own gardens-if we have one, and we are allowed out to exercise-now unlimited times, so I don't know what all the complaining is about.
    I'm spending more time in my new shed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Sunday is the day of rest so all I've done is cook and eat. My bathroom scales have developed a fault, they are 2Kg out ;)

I've started reading (again) a book some of our yank members will know about or have read about the Lewis & Clark Expedition which was the first to cross the USA coast to coast, an amazing saga to read, those blokes were well hard

Lonewolf install the kindle app on you computer and download some of the free classic books off amazon including the one I've just mentioned, you can read them on your lappy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Max,

Lewis and Clark were well known to us. They were true soldiers, explorers, and the rest.

They and their Corps were the first US citizens to reach the Pacific. Believe the first was a Brit with one of the trading companies.

One aspect of the Lewis and Clark history that's hushed up a bit because it doesn't fit the narrative was that when they arrived at the Pacific, there was a vote ... common enough in those times ... where to build the Pacific fort for the winter. Both the Indian woman/interpreter - can't spell (or pronounce) name and Capt Clark's slave participated in the vote.

There's a new coin in circulation here memorializing their expedition. The quote on the coin "Ocean in view. Oh the joy".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Another epic journey was the one by Alexander Mckenzie. It was across Canada and about ten years earlier than Lewis and Clark. Good reading

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    This is the type of stuff I really enjoy reading, got a pile of books on explorers. Samuel Hearne is another great fella and adopted many of the locals ways of living, legal and free download here
    https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38404

Lots of great free reading on the Gutenberg site if you take your time to find them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there you go Max, telling me what to do again. leave it out, my thing is long term survival not technology.
    I like REAL books not apps, i'm surrounded by a library of books, mostly on prepping, survival and homesteading(small holding).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    FFS not telling you what to do but if you turn down free books which aren't easy to get hold of then your just cutting off your nose to spite your face mate.

End of the day your the looser, nowt to do with me.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stop with the personal remarks, all posts should be general in nature not aimed at one member in particular. please use the private message function for personal communications-that's what its there for!!

20. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    You started it LOL I will refrain from offering any tips or links to freebies to you, just to all the other members. So if I mention something or post a link its not for you, just everybody else.

Its really nice and warm outside, @21c-23c , sweating like a weight watcher in a cake shop, just put together a frame for 6X3 grow bags, need beer.

21. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    21°C - 23°C is pretty cold compare to where I''m currently sitting now. It is over 30°C with 90% humidity and its currently midnight. During daylight it will be around 35°C with 80% humidity.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    To be honest I like 25c to 28c when on holiday (vacation) a nice 'walking around' temp range. I've worked the middle east with temps of 45c + and that saps you after a few hours but you get used to it. South America too, draining heat and humidity but again you do settle in after a while.

TMT Tactical likes this.