"caching" Experience.....for Firearms And Ammo.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Sourdough, Jan 29, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    I have been Caching supplies for well more then 60 years, 49 years caching supplies in the Arctic. I have made a lot of errors, and cured them. I have a large number of caches, mostly everything I would ever need to live for three years in the wilderness here.

But I have some information on general caching that I can move over here. I was hoping that we could discuss caching firearms and ammo and related tools.....first. A lot of forums have members who "Talk" about caching, but I can tell if they are repeating stuff that read or watched on U-Tube.

So I would request that any input to this thread be clearly identified as either "First Hand Personal Experience" or if the information offered is stuff you believe to be true, but you have not personally done it.

I now keep all of my caches above ground. I realize that is not an option for many, because of where they live. I'll talk more about mistakes at a later point in this thread. But for now, I am using 120mm ammo cans for firearms caching. They are 32' tall and 11" by 5 5/8" inside. And on an angle I can put tools up to 33 1/2" long. Firearms are first cleaned, and a list of any special size tools for repair and care is made, allen wrenches or special size and type screw drivers, crescent wrenches, etc. is made. I then let them set a few days in a warm and dry environment. They then go into Z-COOR Bags or BLUE Bags along with tools and spare parts, screws, springs, etc..

I add some anti rust inhibiter capsules and remove as much air as possible without undue pressure of bag against sharp parts like sights, etc.. Seal the bag, and fold it over and tape it again. Then put it in several large trash compactor bags, and seal them. Then wrap in a very dry old towel or blanket, and tape it secure.

At this point I wrap it in shrink wrap, then another plastic bag and shrink wrap that. Now it depends on if the 120mm ammo can is already at location in the wilderness, or if the can will have two or three or more firearms packed at the cabin then transported to location.

I guess I should have stated at the beginning, that I first spend days and weeks and months, searching for perfect locations. I am 72 y/o but I build my caches to last fifty plus years, with zero damage to contents.

I'll add more to this at a later point. Including keeping the can prepped for long term storage. I know there is a mountain of caching theory on the internet, but I have deep reservations about a lot of it.

2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    IBME, I’ve learned a lot from what you’ve posted in other forums, particularly on this subject!

3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      480/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME, Would you leave me the GPS coordinates to these hidden treasures in you will? :D As usual, good quality posts. Thanks for sharing.

Sourdough likes this.
  4. Caribou

Caribou Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    IBME, how do you protect the exterior of the ammo cans and how do you camo/hide your stash if it isn't buried?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...iggles-caching-program-agl-above-ground-level

This one is goooder: https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...16538-the-leatherman-this-is-a-wonderful-read

https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...-had-a-bad-bad-bad-problem-but-i-got-it-fixed

I am just now heading out to retrieve more caches, as it it a wonderful weather day.
    If Those threads doun't answer your question, or you think of new ones about caching just ask...I have lots of photos of my caches, but they are useless, they might as well be just photos of wilderness in this area.

Bears have always been my only caching problem. Never had a cache found by a human. But there are few humans in this area.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the trouble with caching is that unless one owns the land where it is buried or hidden we have no control over it, we could come back when we need the stuff and find a house or shop built on top of it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    Most of Alaska is government land. Federal Government, State Government, Borough Government, and quasi-government land, set aside for quasi-government entities, like "Mental Health" Lands, or "University" Lands.

Your point is valid.......and is why people should have many caches, spread out over a large area.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Caribou

Caribou Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I read a story, probably a year or two ago where they uncovered two caches when clearing ground for a home. Every now and again they uncover a bunker from the Cold War too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    all land in the UK is owned by someone, there is no such thing as "wilderness" in the UK apart from maybe the highlands of Scotland.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  10. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    Bump...........because I am in a bumping kind'a mood.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    I do not feel comfortable caching anything on any property I do not own. Given that I am in a town, and I do have neighbors that are close caching above ground would be an unlikely choice. What do you suggest the more "Urban Prepper" do to cache supplies?

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    If you have a back yard, Dig a hole and cache your supplies. Then build a raised bed garden above it. One method.

Morgan101 likes this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    I have seriously considered this, and I may do it. There are some privacy issues that make me want to keep things where I can see them. I would not put it past a couple of my neighbors to be watching through binoculars.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a secure rental storage unit, 10 or 30 miles (walk) away. Here is a educational short story. This story haunted me for a long time after reading it. I've kept a storage unit in Anchorage, Alaska for 27 years. https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/the-ghost.4199/

Or invest in a small very rural piece of land. After "Buggyout's" experience I would want it well away from primary residence.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    Good short story read. Thanks for posting.