Camp Stoves, Pots And Pans What You Got ?

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by Max rigger, Sep 13, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Thought I'd start a thread on what camp stoves members use, type, model, fuel source and pots and pans you use when camping or would use bugged out.

I've accumulated a few of my own over the years and inherited some using various fuel sources so I've mentioned the Trangia system in another thread so this time its the :

Primus Omnifuel, great stove, lots of heat and good simmer, burns all the liquid fuels out of the box (needs a mod for ethanol) and also takes standard thread (Lindal thread) gas canisters; superb four season stove.

What you got?

[​IMG][​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Camping gaz stove 907.
    camping gaz cartridge . both of these use screw in stove fittings.
    flat camp stove that uses Marksman cartridges.
    home made Hobo Stove that burns twigs.
    ex military Gel cooker.
    Rocket stove that burns wood and charcoal.
    each one for a different sort of camp.
    pots and pans: frying pan with a folding handle, + a cast iron one, also got a cast iron stew pot I bought at The Green Scythe Fair in Somerset.
    Billy Can cooking mostly.
    camping kettle-whistle optional.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I have an old fashion coleman naptha stove and a naptha lantern to match upload_2021-9-13_10-45-45.jpeg [​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    MSR Dragonfly

upload_2021-9-14_12-0-25.png

In my fireplace I have an iron arm with hook to hang pots and other cast-iron items over the fire.

Plus I have a Lodge Sportsman's Grill that I put in my fireplace to grill hamburgers and hotdogs.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/cast-iron-sportsmans-grill?sku=L410

upload_2021-9-14_12-13-51.png

We've got a bunch of stuff from Lodge, like Dutch ovens.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/story/best-dutch-ovens

You can even bake bread in Dutch Ovens. Some Dutch ovens have a flat top so as to put coals on top for even heat.

upload_2021-9-14_12-19-42.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      We use the Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman as our back up cooking pot. Charcoal, wood for emergencies. Got rid of all the liquid / gas fossil fuel camping stoves. We don't camp out anymore and we are not bugging out either.

TMT Tactical, Sep 14, 2021
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What fuels are used in English house fireplaces and old stoves? Coal? Firewood? Both?

When I was a little boy, grammar school, it was wood/kindling to get a fire in the fireplace started, then I would top it with coal. Coal fires get HOT. Our furnace was coal-fired and I stoked that as one of my chores.

Here during the winter, chimneys are smoking and the smoke is light-colored, so it's firewood fires. I don't see coal smoke anymore. As a boy, in our small town, it was coal fumes outside. Our area in Southern Appalachia was heavy with trains, coal trains, cargo trains -- we and and adjacent towns were train hubs and industrial. Not heavily populated but people in the counties were agriculture and mining. People in towns worked the factories and foundries. All county folk had kin in town. All town folk had kin in the counties. Even the town-folk grew gardens. Cabins in the mining camps had gardens and the people raised hogs.

Iron mining camps did not see labor disputes like in coal country. You treat the locals bad where I'm from and you'll wind up dead. People got angry at some union toughs who dynamited a mine boss' house -- they killed three little girls of his. People were furious. The men were hung for these murders. Hundreds showed up for the little girls' funeral and like I said, the locals wanted the murderers executed. They got their wish. Pap was fond of the hangings.

When a boy, I breathed smoke. When around the men indoors, it was tobacco smoke. Even though I'm old, my lungs are not bad. I do have scarring, but it isn't bad.

Even in the little town where we live now, the mile-long coal trains run through here, it's a crossroads. The east-west gotta cut through one of the few passes through the mountains; nasty grades and long tunnels. The north-south engines have it made-in-the-shade.

Oh, I forgot something. For the home fires, children used to walk the rails and gather buckets of coal that fell out the trains' coal cars. I never had to do that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    MSR are great stoves but the plastic pumps were prone to failure in cold weather but I think they've gone metal now like the Primus.

Coal is still used in some parts unless its a 'Smokeless Zone' (Ithink) but most burn smokeless fuel these days. Wood burners became very popular a few years ago but not much good in a city if you have to buy seasoned wood which is expensive; I'd guess many are lit on a weekend only.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/selling-coal-for-domestic-use-in-england more government control but I can see the logic in this I suppose. Lots of older houses here have a grate/cover the coleman would lift and drop coal down into the cellar

I've got a couple of cast iron skillets, pots and a Dutch oven but truth be told I stopped used them a few ago.

I used to camp/bushcraft with a fella who collected stoves and got a few off him including a fold up Coleman Oven which works surprisingly well. Its a bit small but you can bake bread/cake/scones/biscuits in it. I've made pizza in the past in one.

The Primus I showed I run on gas unless its real winter temps then tend to use coleman fuel or kerosene (paraffin). The is the triple mix canisters butane/propane/isobutane which works in colder weather and you can flip/invert the canister to keep it running when is sub zero. Butane on its own is OK in the warmer months, at 5c/40f or less it pretty much stops going from liquid to gas.

I love cooking on an open fire but lets be honest if your on the move its not always possible and in the UK your camping very often where you can't use or find wood :(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There'z the Schmartazz stove aus Deutschland, it burns grease.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    If you have a good supply of ethanol build a 'Musher' stove https://iditarod.com/eye-on-the-trail-telephoto-story-the-cooker/

I read a book on Shackleton's Endurance expedition and when they lost their ship and used up their fuel they cooked on home made stoves burning blubber. If you look at pictures of them when rescued from Elephant Island their faces are black and thats a combination of dirt and soot off burning blubber in their shelter for weeks. Tough bunch of fellas.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think there is much call for coal for homes these days, we dont have any coal mines any more and its all imported and most new homes are all electric, no fireplaces or chimneys. very few youngsters would know how to lay out a coal fire these days.
    when backpacking I use a small camping gas stove, carry everything in and everything out again, most places open fires arent allowed( they are changing the rules on Dartmoor to stop the idiots having open fires on open moorland or using disposable BBQ's).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Disposable BBQ should be banned, you find them dumped out in the country side and beaches etc but not only disposable BBQ are causing issues. You can buy a metal BBQ for £10 and people can't be bothered to take them apart and take them home. Pre covid I pitched up on a camp site and by the rubbish bins were four of five similar to this and the owner had put a sign up "Take me home for free"

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    disposable BBQ's are a menace, someone stuck one into a PLASTIC refuse bin and set it alight.
    another one was buried in the sand and a toddler stood on it and burnt his foot.
    they have been responsible for many peat and gorse fires.
    only idiots use them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In national or state parks, even municipal parks, picnic areas are very often provided with heavy steel/iron standing grills which have their bases set into concrete. These see heavy use, but even still, they last for years and years because of the thickness of the metal. You could bend it if you drove a truck into it, I guess. If you want to use one, you just take a bristle-brush to it, then wipe it down.

The grill below is a standard configuration. They all look the same -- it's like some standard. Clones.

upload_2021-9-16_10-49-22.png

TMT Tactical likes this.