Camping Ideas: How To Make A Mini Cooker From A Dose

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by DenisHero, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DenisHero

DenisHero New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    This idea is very innovative and useful, especially in extreme situations when you're camping with your family and you need to warm up a soup or need light.
    You will need: • 2 aluminum cans (juice, beer); • A marker or pen; • Scissors or cutter (any sharp object you can cut); • A piece of sandpaper or abrasive paper; • A nail or screw; • Alcohol; • Cotton.
    3.jpg
    STEP 1:
    Mark the cut line with the marker on the can. Cut the two cans to the bottom as shown. Use the nail to make the holes (similar to those in the stove) in one dose, the other one is not necessary, you will only use it as a structure base.
    STEP 2
    After cutting the doses in the appropriate way, stick the edges so you do not cut yourself. Put the cotton at the base and unite the doses as you can see below.
    4.jpg
    Now just fill the small alcohol tank through the central hole, cover it with your nail / screw and get it done!
    You can light the mini stove and you can warm your soup for dinner.
    6.jpg
    This project was mainly dedicated for a school competition.
    Every recyclable stuff can be turned into a real utensils.

GrizzlyetteAdams and Miskondukt like this.
    1. Keith H.
      :confused: No comment!

Keith H., Jul 19, 2017
  2. hunybuny2

hunybuny2 Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    This is actually genius.

Radar likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have made these for years. I make them a little taller than these but basically the same design. My only difference is that I drill three tiny holes in the middle of the top. The purpose of that is to make filling it easier. I call it a penny stove. When it is full I put a penny over the holes to block them. You then light the puddle in the middle and that heats up the fuel making it into a gas that makes it burn hot and clean almost immediately. I use a product called HEET that is used as a dryer additive to gasoline and is pure alcohol.

4. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    What Tex said ^

5. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Don't shoot me.
    What do you use to stop the flame when you are finished cooking? You just let it burn?
    You say fill the little burner?

6. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    GrizzlyetteAdams and Radar like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is a link for how to make a hobo stove from a tuna fish can. I think this is a little easier, and you can save the lid to put out the flame. FYI, I have found that these burn dirty. When you boil something it will turn the bottom of the pot black and sooty.

You could probably do the same thing by buying a small can of sterno.

8. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Stick with the Trangia burner, those wax cookers are truly awful IMHO

Radar likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I make my penny stoves I usually also make it a case out of a slightly larger aluminum can. When I am done I can put the top on it and it snuffs out the flame OR you can easily blow it out usually. I also will take a couple of cans and cut the bottom and top off of them then cut and make them into a windshield to put around the little stove if it is a little windy. It works fine for boiling enough water to hydrate and cook the dehydrated dry soups and meals but I wouldn't actually try to cook a meal from scratch on one. Mostly I use it to make warm drinks, light soups from a mix and Ramin noodle type things.

These are fun and easy to make and kids love to help. Basically, they are free and weigh nothing so are great to throw into your car trunk with a little fuel and some soups for emergencies.

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

When I am done cooking or boiling water, I like to conserve my fuel with a homemade "snuffer" (similar to the ones made in the old days for snuffing out candles).

I made a shallow bowl-shaped one out of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and simply drop it onto the flame. It is lightweight, folds flat and reusable. I have also used a metal can lid, thin flat rocks, and small pot lids to put out the fires in coffee can hobo stoves (no wax!), soda can stoves, and tuna can stoves. Anything that will quickly deprive the flame from air will work.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    The things you learn, I knew about making the stove but a dose is either a measure of medication or asexually transmitted disease. TheEnglish language.. ain’t it grand

Radar, duke in wales and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. duke in wales

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Olde English word Pox meant syphilis, Shakespeare used the word more than once, English is a great language :)
    "
    “A pox o’ your throat, you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog!”"

Radar and The Innkeeper like this.