Can Anyone Identify This Tree For Me Please?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by Keith H., Nov 25, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it is a serviceberry, but would like other opinions please.

c7d1c457e47f3fa3f3271d15280600d8.jpeg
    c7d1c457e47f3fa3f3271d15280600d8.jpeg
    Any useful information you can tell me about this tree? How the fruit was/is used?
    Thank you.
    Keith.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    9 different types of those yes i think its a type of serviceberry great to eat !

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Tom.
    Keith.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Those be like blueberries in taste we call them juneberries here ours are red. The small low bushes get cleaned off quick the ringnecks quail and turkey love them

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    It looks similar to some we had in Idaho with the same name. The ones there were a dark purple like a huckleberry (blueberry), but they did not have the nice tangy flavor that a huckleberry has. if I remember right, they had pretty pink blossoms in the springtime.
    We ate them, and I think that you could probably also make juice or jam from the berries, and maybe even a red dye if you wanted to.
    They just had a really “blah” taste to them, so even though we picked and ate the service berries, they were never a favorite of mine.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. likes this.
    1. Radar
      Hi, Old Geezer. I think the flowers in the photo are daisies.
      I recently saw something that looked like Q. A. Lace (to me) from a distance. I had never seen the poison hemlock, but I'm pretty sure it was not Q.A. Lace.

Radar, Jun 1, 2019
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am absolutely certain. They are not daisies.

I've dug these things / pulled them up, then took out my knife to scrape them & smell them. They are wild carrots. I guess the name is Queen Ann's lace. The smell is overwhelmingly that of carrots. They are everywhere here and where I grew up. My paternal grandmother, may God's Light be eternally upon her, was one to pick/dig herbs and she took me with her when I was but a wee little boy.

As I sit here, in this room, in my desk, in my dad's toolbox, I still have my pocket knives from grammar school, >55 yrs ago. As a child, I always had a pocket knife and Zippo lighter on me. I often had chemical burns on the front of my legs from the naphtha lighter fluid. As a child and even now, while at home, I've always been but a few steps from guns and coal and kerosene and firewood and ammunition and tools and repair items and home-canned food, ..., all manner of things that are today referred to as "survival items". I paid no attention. Things are as they are.

I'm sitting here, I am in my memories, I am on my grandmother's screened-in back porch. The frame wall is covered in herbs and peppers, sewn peppers, sewn beans drying. Sauerkraut is working in huge tubs on a long bench. All these smells are right now in my head. And the gardens and the apple trees and the cherry trees, colors, life, bounties. Car tires are crunching through the gravel and coal clinkers; somebody is coming in, driving up the driveway. Who will it be? Are they coming for me? I hope so.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
  9. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The reason I thought it was daisies is because it looks more like petals to me in the photo, not the laciness of Queen Ann flowers. I see points. The round buds look to me like daisy heads. I have grown daisies many years and enjoyed the view of fields full of Q.A. Lace flowers and picked them for vases of wild flowers, I do know the difference between the two. The foliage in the photo is more akin to qa lace and hemlock than daisies tho.
    Perhaps on a larger screen I could more easily see the difference.
    In real life I wouldn't just introduce myself to introduce myself.
    Thank you for the welcome, Grizz.

10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Radar like this.