Can You Live On Bread Alone?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 28, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I know the passage goes that "man cannot live on bread alone". But in case of a calamity, can you? I've seen several storms in areas where rice can't be delivered, or sometimes rice can't be cooked because of the lack of cooking supplies. Bread on the other hand is light, can be packed in delivery trucks without much worry of damage, but the only downside is that it has a quick expiration date. Say there's a massive storm and you only have a supply of bread, can you consume it 3 times a day for the better part of a month, until help arrives with food?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can probably live on bread alone for awhile, but it would be awfully boring and its hardly a balanced diet.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Water is your priority, not food. Yes you can survive on bread alone for a while, but eventually without meat or green or orange vegetables you may get scurvy. Bread will last longer if dried, ships biscuit will last even longer.
    Cooking utensils are easily made from bush sticks, food can be boiled in a rock pool or in an animal skin lined hole in the ground. Flour will last longer than bread if kept dry, & you can easily bake your own bread, biscuits or damper in an open fire.

Keith.

4. Dunn

Dunn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Hello i think you can survive but you have to eat good as possible but water must be your first priority too.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes you could manage it for a month considering that you can go up three weeks without any food at all. It was already mentioned earlier in the thread that your priority is drinking water.
    I wouldn't reccomend a bread only diet to anyone, there are usually alternatives if you think outside the box and look for natural food sources. You need a balanced diet and sometimes eating from just one food group can do more harm than not eating at all but this is probably not the case with bread...which is basically carbohydrate (or body fuel) It might get a bit boring though, one might even say stale.

6. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Particularly would be something quite complicated for me (I had never thought about it :rolleyes:), but considering the fact that I adapt easily to adversities, I would be able to live like this (at least for a while). It would be a great challenge! :)

7. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, where does this limitless supply of bread with absence of other nourishment come from?

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I believe the question was literal and not meant to be interpreted in the scriptural or spiritual sense. The qualification of a time limit of one month means that it is in fact possible to live on bread for a month, just not all that healthy.

9. Neo

Neo New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    You could probably live on bread for a while but you'll get sick if you don't eat anything else and ultimately die. Did you know that many pirates had scurvy? That was because their food resources were limited and they were mostly eating the same thing. Without vegetables, fruits and meat your body will not be healthy.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    One can't store bread, but you can store the grain seeds, salt, sugar, yeast (or not), veggie oil, firewood for the stove. When needed, use your grinder to make the flour.

Protein? Go shoot/trap something.

Where our cavemen ancestors got most of their protein:
    http://www.latimes.com/science/great-reads/la-sci-c1-insects-as-food-20150904-story.html
    http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectsasfood/files/2012/09/Book_Chapter_2.pdf

Take a rolling pin to grubs. Toss the nasty; wash, grind, and cook/fry the non-nasty stuff. Mix it with greens or gathered tree nuts. Make chocolates out of the ground critters and tree nuts / peanuts.

Grubs have saved the lives of a many prisoners of war.

Greens? Go pick edible "weeds".
    http://www.ediblewildfood.com/edible-weeds.aspx
    http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/edible-weeds/
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/daucus-carota-pusillus-edible-wild-carrots-2/
    http://www.ravensroots.com/blog/2015/6/26/poison-hemlock-id
    http://prepare-and-protect.net/2016/01/wild-carrots-or-poison-hemlock/
    And queen Anne's lace has roots that smell the exact same as a carrot, thus "wild carrot". In good soil, you can pull wild carrot out the ground and use your pocketknife to scrape off dirt and bark (new plants haven't developed bark, but they eventually will). Now smell the scraped root; it is carrot, skinny but carrot aroma to the max.

Boil poke sallet twice, pouring off all the water both times, else it will poison you / give you cramps from hell; now cook with other greens such as curly mustard, dockry, whatever you like best.

Ystranc likes this.
  12. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess so. If the question is actually just for living meaning surviving. Living and enjoying life, that wont work.

13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    It is not lost to me that most cereals are not all carbohydrates especially if they are not refined. They contain a healthy dose me other minerals like niacin which are good for health. I mostly take a two course meal so living on bread alone should not be a challenge though over prolonged periods, one is likely to suffer from artificial starvation.

14. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    The passage "man cannot live on bread alone" is an old saying carried with big wisdom. Humans can't survive long periods of time with just bread, which doesn't have sufficient nutritional value that we receive from a diversified and healthy diet. Unless that bread is made with several ingredients with rich vitamin components and protein, that might be possible. On a curiosity note, many cultures make a diet restricted with rice and beans, which is somewhat sufficient for them. But malaise and anemia is always a possibility.

15. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    For some time, maybe yeah. But you'll get dehydrated eventually if you have no access to water.

While bread can provide you with energy, if you end up dehydrated, that energy would go to waste as you wouldn't be able to function properly.

Always prioritize water.

16. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Like everyone, I would also say water is number one priority in a SHTF situation and not food. I think more emphasis should be placed around skills of how to find water than food. We zero our mind on food as the quantity we eat is more than water. But we really need water not food.

17. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I read somewhere about survival this certain rule that I found cool, the survival rule of three.
    It says that you can only last for 3 days without water. So you'll really need water if you want to survive for a long amount of time.

18. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well, you CAN but it definitely wouldn't be healthy for you. Without protein, you'd grow weak and lose muscle mass very quickly. While you can survive I doubt you'd have the strength to perform daily activities. So I would suggest finding a source of protein soon.

19. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure about bread, but I did see a lady on TV who only ate French Fries. She apparently does not like other foods. Surprisingly, she had no health issues..I mean potatoes are fairly healthy with potassium and other vitamins, but I don't see how you could only eat French Fries. I don't think bread is as healthy as a potato product however, and may pose a problem eating that alone in the long term.

20. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Did she not hydrate herself with any liquid? You couldn't really survive without drinking water so maybe she fries and drank water?

And also, why does she hate other food? I can think of a lot food that tastes better than fries.

21. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i've seen cases like this. But what we got to consider here is that overall health is something that stems from many factors. We'd need other details like How young was she? did she exercise regularly? And other factors to determine if she could be considered healthy or not. But as a rule of thumb we should consume a broader variety of food in order to saty helathy and in shape.

22. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Well

Well of course, I am certain she drank some kind of liquid. I said that French Fries were the only food she was eating. I said nothing about liquid. I am assuming whatever you are eating you have liquid available or you would get dehydrated defintely.