Can You Live On Bread Alone?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 28, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I know the passage goes that "man cannot live on bread alone". But in case of a calamity, can you? I've seen several storms in areas where rice can't be delivered, or sometimes rice can't be cooked because of the lack of cooking supplies. Bread on the other hand is light, can be packed in delivery trucks without much worry of damage, but the only downside is that it has a quick expiration date. Say there's a massive storm and you only have a supply of bread, can you consume it 3 times a day for the better part of a month, until help arrives with food?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can probably live on bread alone for awhile, but it would be awfully boring and its hardly a balanced diet.

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Water is your priority, not food. Yes you can survive on bread alone for a while, but eventually without meat or green or orange vegetables you may get scurvy. Bread will last longer if dried, ships biscuit will last even longer.
    Cooking utensils are easily made from bush sticks, food can be boiled in a rock pool or in an animal skin lined hole in the ground. Flour will last longer than bread if kept dry, & you can easily bake your own bread, biscuits or damper in an open fire.

Keith.

4. Dunn

Dunn New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Hello i think you can survive but you have to eat good as possible but water must be your first priority too.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes you could manage it for a month considering that you can go up three weeks without any food at all. It was already mentioned earlier in the thread that your priority is drinking water.
    I wouldn't reccomend a bread only diet to anyone, there are usually alternatives if you think outside the box and look for natural food sources. You need a balanced diet and sometimes eating from just one food group can do more harm than not eating at all but this is probably not the case with bread...which is basically carbohydrate (or body fuel) It might get a bit boring though, one might even say stale.

6. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Particularly would be something quite complicated for me (I had never thought about it :rolleyes:), but considering the fact that I adapt easily to adversities, I would be able to live like this (at least for a while). It would be a great challenge! :)

7. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, where does this limitless supply of bread with absence of other nourishment come from?

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I believe the question was literal and not meant to be interpreted in the scriptural or spiritual sense. The qualification of a time limit of one month means that it is in fact possible to live on bread for a month, just not all that healthy.

9. Neo

Neo New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    You could probably live on bread for a while but you'll get sick if you don't eat anything else and ultimately die. Did you know that many pirates had scurvy? That was because their food resources were limited and they were mostly eating the same thing. Without vegetables, fruits and meat your body will not be healthy.

Ystranc likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One can't store bread, but you can store the grain seeds, salt, sugar, yeast (or not), veggie oil, firewood for the stove. When needed, use your grinder to make the flour.

Protein? Go shoot/trap something.

Where our cavemen ancestors got most of their protein:
    http://www.latimes.com/science/great-reads/la-sci-c1-insects-as-food-20150904-story.html
    http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/insectsasfood/files/2012/09/Book_Chapter_2.pdf

Take a rolling pin to grubs. Toss the nasty; wash, grind, and cook/fry the non-nasty stuff. Mix it with greens or gathered tree nuts. Make chocolates out of the ground critters and tree nuts / peanuts.

Grubs have saved the lives of a many prisoners of war.

Greens? Go pick edible "weeds".
    http://www.ediblewildfood.com/edible-weeds.aspx
    http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/edible-weeds/
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/daucus-carota-pusillus-edible-wild-carrots-2/
    http://www.ravensroots.com/blog/2015/6/26/poison-hemlock-id
    http://prepare-and-protect.net/2016/01/wild-carrots-or-poison-hemlock/
    And queen Anne's lace has roots that smell the exact same as a carrot, thus "wild carrot". In good soil, you can pull wild carrot out the ground and use your pocketknife to scrape off dirt and bark (new plants haven't developed bark, but they eventually will). Now smell the scraped root; it is carrot, skinny but carrot aroma to the max.

Boil poke sallet twice, pouring off all the water both times, else it will poison you / give you cramps from hell; now cook with other greens such as curly mustard, dockry, whatever you like best.

Ystranc likes this.
  12. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess so. If the question is actually just for living meaning surviving. Living and enjoying life, that wont work.

Ystranc likes this.
  13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    It is not lost to me that most cereals are not all carbohydrates especially if they are not refined. They contain a healthy dose me other minerals like niacin which are good for health. I mostly take a two course meal so living on bread alone should not be a challenge though over prolonged periods, one is likely to suffer from artificial starvation.

Ystranc likes this.
  14. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    The passage "man cannot live on bread alone" is an old saying carried with big wisdom. Humans can't survive long periods of time with just bread, which doesn't have sufficient nutritional value that we receive from a diversified and healthy diet. Unless that bread is made with several ingredients with rich vitamin components and protein, that might be possible. On a curiosity note, many cultures make a diet restricted with rice and beans, which is somewhat sufficient for them. But malaise and anemia is always a possibility.

1. Ystranc
      The saying “man cannot live on bread alone” is meant to imply that man needs spiritual nourishment as well as corporeal. It was originally nothing to do with balanced diet. The fact that we’re taking the saying literally is only because that is the context of the original post. :rolleyes:

Ystranc, Apr 15, 2022
  15. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    For some time, maybe yeah. But you'll get dehydrated eventually if you have no access to water.

While bread can provide you with energy, if you end up dehydrated, that energy would go to waste as you wouldn't be able to function properly.

Always prioritize water.

16. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Like everyone, I would also say water is number one priority in a SHTF situation and not food. I think more emphasis should be placed around skills of how to find water than food. We zero our mind on food as the quantity we eat is more than water. But we really need water not food.

17. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I read somewhere about survival this certain rule that I found cool, the survival rule of three.
    It says that you can only last for 3 days without water. So you'll really need water if you want to survive for a long amount of time.

18. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well, you CAN but it definitely wouldn't be healthy for you. Without protein, you'd grow weak and lose muscle mass very quickly. While you can survive I doubt you'd have the strength to perform daily activities. So I would suggest finding a source of protein soon.

1. Ystranc
      Carbohydrates are basically muscle fuel, the loss of muscle mass would be more of an issue if you were not able to eat at all as your body would then use your body fat and then muscle tissue as fuel

Ystranc, Apr 15, 2022
  19. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure about bread, but I did see a lady on TV who only ate French Fries. She apparently does not like other foods. Surprisingly, she had no health issues..I mean potatoes are fairly healthy with potassium and other vitamins, but I don't see how you could only eat French Fries. I don't think bread is as healthy as a potato product however, and may pose a problem eating that alone in the long term.

20. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Did she not hydrate herself with any liquid? You couldn't really survive without drinking water so maybe she fries and drank water?

And also, why does she hate other food? I can think of a lot food that tastes better than fries.

21. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i've seen cases like this. But what we got to consider here is that overall health is something that stems from many factors. We'd need other details like How young was she? did she exercise regularly? And other factors to determine if she could be considered healthy or not. But as a rule of thumb we should consume a broader variety of food in order to saty helathy and in shape.

22. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Well

Well of course, I am certain she drank some kind of liquid. I said that French Fries were the only food she was eating. I said nothing about liquid. I am assuming whatever you are eating you have liquid available or you would get dehydrated defintely.

23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Baking bread over a fire using a cast-iron dutch oven

Can't always trust the electricity being on, now can we.

For those of you who put back grains for making bread. Here's how to do so using a fire.

Campfires:

Baking bread in your fireplace:

24. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Post SHTF, folk will stop mowing their yards. Good! There's all manner of edible plants that grow wild. The aboriginal people ate it and it didn't kill them. My folk really like ramps. If there was slim pickings while hunting, we'd dig ramps to flavor what we did kill.

https://www.erwinrecord.net/local-news/ramp-festival-set-for-saturday-may-9/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ramp+fest...xt&atb=v320-2&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Do a search of edible wild plants, you'll find innumerable links. We used to pick greens in the garden (curly mustard, kale, ...) and then mix-in wild plants such as poke greens.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=edible+wild+plants+&t=newext&atb=v320-2&ia=web

Let the idiots starve to death. More for us.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people dont know what vegetable plants look like before they are picked and packed so they've got no chance with wild plants.
    they dont know which is edible and which is not.
    we have tried in the past to arrange country walks to show what grows during each season but city folk only want what is in the supermarket in many cases flown in from the other side of the world.
    as you say let them starve to death, sod em.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    At my age, I shouldn't let the mass-idiocy-factor get under my skin ... yet I do. I want to curse and throw rocks at the flocks. Maybe venting online keeps me out of jail.

Post-SHTF, people had best not F with me. I'll not be restraining my inner daemons.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont give a damn about other people especially the sheeple, let them perish post SHTF that'll sort out any overcrowding.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Even if you know what your looking for when out foraging its very easy to expend more energy finding it than what you get back from eating it. Many 'greens' are a great source of vitamins but are often low in food/energy value...you need your carbs/sugars/fats/protein etc. Vegans will either eat fish and meat or die post collapse.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  30. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Look outside during the winter months . How much free green growing food do you see ? There may be something eatable there during the winter for some people but that certainly is not the case where I live . If someone thinks they can live off inner tree bark and roots , all I can say is "good luck "as this is the diet of a dying person . Even the most primitive tribes don't depend on wild natural growing food as their only nourishment . On the North American Continent back when Native Americans roamed free stealing each others women , they depended a lot on Buffalo for food as well as fruit trees and agriculture fields . During the Siminole wars , the invading soldiers were ordered to chop down the Siminole fruit trees in order to starve them into surrendering . I have visited the Indian mounds of " Cahokia " in Illinois . There at the base of their mounds they had vast fields where they grew corn . --- The point I am trying to make someone thinking they and their dependents can survive on wild growing plants without something else to fortify them in the food department will experience starvation .

Ystranc, TMT Tactical and Max rigger like this.
  31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The wifer and I have cases of quart jars full of rice and dried beans. Included in the jars are O2 absorber packs. We put back bullion cubes and other types of canned meat to flavor these when opened and prepared. Post-SHTF, one should use your canned meat stores very sparingly. Toss a bit in the stew-pot to provide your body the vitamin B12 it requires. We in America eat far too much meat. Humans don't require all that, just some. Growing children require more meat than adults, however it isn't a whole lot more. This is why our ancestors got by so well eating mainly stews.

Other folk put back whole grains and keep a manually-operated grinder to make flour. I've never done this. Some really like to make homemade bread. I totally understand. Who doesn't love fresh-baked bread! When putting back grains, you'll need O2 absorber packs also, else when you open the jars, there will be tiny crawly thingies all through it. All grains, dried beans, rice, ... you name it, have microscopic insect eggs all through the product and the bags in which they are packaged. Welcome to Earth.

Prehistoric humans living in northern climates DID have to kill and eat meat during the harsh winters AND they had to be great fire-makers. I would put money on their having gathered all manner of nuts and roots to get them through the winters. They observed squirrels doing this, so they surely copied them.

Things I've read stated that humans during cold winters did a lot of sleeping. Witness the big cats, they feed like mad after a kill, then they sleep and sleep and sleep -- even when awake, they find shade and do nothing. I've read that humans can almost hibernate -- maybe not like bears and groundhogs -- but still ... . I can imagine cavemen having a big kill, eating a lot, drying leftover meat over a fire, making pemmican, and then sleeping resting sleeping resting sleeping resting. Look what we do in this age! Big meal then, bang, lights-out, snoring. If I have eaten well, then the next day, I don't need much to eat.

The ancient people who were stupid died during harsh winters. Only the brightest made it. Thus the continued evolution of the human brain. That and hair. Further north = brains and beards. Scandinavian men can grow huge beards. Think cavemen hunting. They covered their bodies with the dried furs of animals they had killed. What about the face? Those with the largest beards lived and reproduced.

Oh, I forgot fat. Go further away from the equator and you'll find people who can put on fat. Ancient northern peoples were skinny after winters, but by fall had put on lots of weight. Witness ancient peoples' spring festivities = "We survived winter!" Witness ancient peoples' fall festivities = "We have had a successful harvest, so maybe we will get through winter!" And fall harvests (along with the making of beer) meant that you could eat until you were fat. In those ancient days, being fat in the fall season meant you could get through winter. Goddesses figurines made by northern tribes were FAT females, symbolizing ongoing life and reproduction.

Some history:

https://dehydratorlab.com/history-of-food-preservation/

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...t-meat-the-brains-of-early-humans-grew-bigger

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/what-cavemen-eat/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  32. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Watch and listen this pile of full episode Ray Mears shows, work your way through them or download for future viewing

33. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    An interesting video .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Now, by God, this is one great video.

I've yet to finish watching it but I most assuredly will do so.

Speaking to the forest canopy, we modern lot have for the most part never seen such. I have. When the Forestry Service was using us young lads as slave labor, they too would educate us in the hopes that they could get future employees or at least some forestry biologists. They did bring in the biologists to indoctrinate us. Caused me to have all manner of respect for this lot.

So, we were bused into a tertiary growth forest in the mountains of Southern Appalachia. "Freaky" doesn't describe the place. Looked kind'a like a rain forest. Forest floor was solid mosses and ferns. Canopy, you couldn't see through.

Native tribes conducted mass burnings during dry seasons / droughts. They burned hundreds of thousands of acres of forests so that as it grew back, there would be food for deer, elk, and buffalo. European settlers cut down trees for cabins and to grow acreages of crops. European settlers also burned down acreages to have charcoal to smelt iron. Later on, they used coke made from coal for smelting iron. This was done where I was raised, a century before my time.

35. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Ray Mears is highly respected around the world and a nice fella in real life.

Someone else you may well enjoy is Les Hiddins, the 'Bushtucker' man. A retired Australian army officer who served in Vietnam he later got an army assignment to travel all over Australia and identify wild food or 'bushtucker' for soldier survival training. On the back of Australian army maps were printed what you might find in that maps area. After retiring he's spent years helping vets fight their demons as he fought his own, alcohol in his case.

A good few episodes are on youtube, not real survival programmes as such but you get an insight into the Australian outback and worth putting your feet up, blowing the froth off a couple and watching. I've spent a bit of time in Australia and its a massive country, @ 7.5m sq km occupied by less than 30m people. Put in perspective the USA is about 9.5m sq km occupied by well over 300m people...room to breath down under for sure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not moving to Australia ever. Everything down there is poisonous. Their blacksnakes are poisonous (not here in America). There are trees down under that have poisonous barbs. What's that about?! And, if you attempt to swim away from the place, a great white will eat you!

No thanks.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no me neither, apart from my own country my second choice would be Canada, still room to breathe there once you get out of the cities.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Australia is a very expensive place to live certainly in the major cities. If I'd decided to move out of Europe I'd have had to toss a coin for Canada or New Zealand, both stunning countries. NZ actually could have the edge, they make great meat pies down there ;)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    They make great earthquakes down New Zealand way.

upload_2022-4-20_19-42-39.png upload_2022-4-20_19-43-13.png

upload_2022-4-20_19-44-25.png
    upload_2022-4-20_19-45-10.png

Max rigger and TMT Tactical like this.
  40. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Canada has the great ability to produce lots of food. It is beautiful up there. Even the major cities' bars are peaceful. Russian mafia controlled, therefore no acting-up.

Lots of space to settle and disobey their communist gun laws.

1. Old Geezer
      But in Canada, you don't need to have a defensive weapon/handgun on your person. A profoundly insufficient number of the people who are genetically incapable of controlling their emotions don't live in Canada. Here where we live, just down the road, such folk scream and fight into the night. This past week, one of their 3-yr olds was just walking down our road, nobody around, no parent, unattended. There's the occasional gunfire, but it is almost always them destroying each others life. My neighbor who got thrown in jail for putting his wife in the hospital is now back in prison. Seven, count'em seven, cops were on this latest raid of his place. People come and go there now. Blasting music, fights at 2 am ... the norm.

Old Geezer, Apr 20, 2022
  41. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Canada seems to be much like Britain is, it was a British colony after all.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hordes of migrants are illegally streaming into the U.S., Britain, and Europe. In the USSA, we will still be able to grow enough food for the people -- but, that could change. Britain and Europe will not be able to sustain the influx of foreigners and the cultures they bring with them. Armed Americans will defend their fields and their communities.

So far, Canada has not been attacked by the influx massive numbers of illegals, therefore they have food and only their cities will suffer from violent cultures.

There is a bit of hope here in the disUnited States of America, because the people -- even former Leftists -- are experiencing the gross mismanagement Democratic Socialism brings with it. The sh## hasn't even hit the fan here in the States, yet our cities are collapsing into chaos. When things go sideways, it's gonna be really apocalyptic.

Canadians are finally waking up to the insanity of Justin Trudeau's reign.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...-foreigners-buying-real-estate-for-two-years/

"The Canadian government has proposed a two-year prohibition on foreigners buying real estate in a potential shot across the bow against Communist China.

"In the budget announced by the Minister of Finance of Canada, Chrystia Freeland, the government has proposed banning foreign buyers from scooping up more real estate in the country under the pretence of reducing the soaring cost of housing."

43. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bread and water was an old school naval punishment. You could have all you wanted but ONLY bread and water. The punishment was simple. after a few days your bowels locked up with endless constipation and trying to pass pineapples was a memorable experience for sailors that they NEVER wanted to repeat...And now you know...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Yes, I did say, Perrier. And make that whole wheat bread."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.