Can You Stay A Whole Day Without Lying?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by WildSpirit, Jun 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Q0bxrdF9mr2IuTLMU2DiR1cngdGmnNp3.jpeg

Lying, in its essence is an act that refers to a bad action for millions of people (millions of other people think totally the opposite). It's obvious - well, at least for me :rolleyes: - that to always speak the truth is the most correct decision in any situation. But what about the white lies? They are usually used when we don't intend to cause any harm. In general, what we do is try to hide some information for a specific reason (a surprise / birthday party for example).

Considering those aspects, can you stay a whole day without telling a single lie? :D

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't lie, I tell it like it is, that's what upsets some folks and gets me banned from sites!!:p

koolhandlinc likes this.
  3. Brizo

Brizo New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I have young children. I have to lie every day. As in "No, I don't have money for that." Or "No, we don't have time for that."

Otherwise, I don't lie

koolhandlinc likes this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I honestly rarely lie. I just don't have anything to lie about plus I hate it. I am a terrible liar and it's pretty easy to tell when I'm doing it, at least, my partner says so. I believe it's better to always tell things how they are unless that would get you in deep trouble (for example; getting fired from your job or something similar).

I don't know why, maybe it's my strong moral compass but whenever I tell a lie, even if it's a small one, I feel so guilty over it and it eats me up inside. Perhaps I am weak.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    On a day to day basis I have no need to tell lies, not at home, or on a forum. But I guess there are times when we do have to say an untruth, either to protect others or to protect ourselves. I think these types of untruths should be seen in a different light to those lies told by people to impress.
    Keith.
    HmBNcB5ZnaplNFrXozBVLFwqXGLhkYA7.png

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Honesty is a virtue.
    Honesty should be a way of life.
    If I don't lie I never have to remember what I told someone.
    Believe me it took a long, painful, time to come to that realization.
    In my former job lying, deception, was a tool. A means to an end.

As the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly acknowledged, "Criminal activity is such that stealth and strategy are necessary weapons in the arsenal of the police officer." (Sorrells v. U.S.) "Nor will the mere fact of deceit defeat a prosecution, for there are circumstances when the use of deceit is the only practicable law enforcement technique available." (U.S. v. Russell)

I don't know how many times a defense attorney tried to trip me up on the witness
    stand by saying I lied.
    The prosecution often had to explain the "rules" to a jury.
    Jurors really didn't give a phatt ratts pattot if I lied to convict some miscreant.

"Look chump! You might as well confess because right here are the fingerprints
    I lifted at the crime scene and they are yours!"

They weren't.
    I had zero evidence at all.

Then there was the idiot that lost his wallet inside a house he'd burglarized. :>)

I have sooooooooooo many stories.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    koolhandlinc likes this.
  7. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Truth is paramount, be it personal, scientific, or otherwise. Those who traffic in lies have no honor. I'm, frankly, disgusted by how common dishonesty has become in our society.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I'll say!
    Values seem to be less and less important.

koolhandlinc and CivilDefense like this.
  9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I try not to lie. I just try to be myself and not try to over inflate my life. I find other than to get out of trouble, most people tell self serving lies, to make themselves seem more than they are. Also, sometimes people just exaggerate their roles in stories or in life to make themselves seem more exciting than they are in real life.

Ystranc and koolhandlinc like this.
  10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Yes and "exaggerating" is a sign of serious insecurity and low self esteem.

Ystranc, koolhandlinc and kgord like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no reason to lie.

12. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I generally don't lie. When I tell my kids we don't have the money. I am not being dishonest. If I feel its a waste and I say no. I am telling them its a waste. I even use them words sometimes. If its not someones business and they ask. I do not feel obligated to tell them the truth. Such as when a Christian co-worker asks if I have ever gone down on my wife. Its not his business. He should not be asking. so I do not feel obligated to tell him. If someone asks me if my wife and I do it for fun. I may or may not tell the truth. When a co worker asks how much money I make. I tell them its not their business. They don't need to know I didn't lie. If they decide to atempt a higher / lower game. I will not answer truthfully. I will keep telling them its not your business.

I believe truth is most important. Also the truth of the situation.

In a college class, everyone was asked to tell if they lie or not. I said I did not. Then we were asked if we were hiding a Jew and a Nazi asked if we were hiding Jews. Would I lie to save them. I said yes I would. So I was told that I would lie. I I agreed in some situations I would without regret or remorse. Not to save myself but to save another. As a general practice I don't.

13. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I do not lie to those who deserve the truth!

Just because someone asks a question there is no obligation to answer either way!
    Sometimes I am called an ignorant bastard because I simply do not answer!

Also some people ask some really stupid questions then complain when they get a stupid answer!

14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    If you can't say something nice, at least say something honest. If you can't say something honest best keep quiet. If you need to answer the question "does this dress make my ass look big" say "yes, I just love your big ass" if she leaves you it just wasn't meant to be lol.
    It's possible to sugar coat a hard truth but still be honest.

15. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    "does this dress make my ass look big"

This is a prime example of a stupid question!
    The only answer to keep her happy is to lie!
    For me this question is not worth a lie so it is the truth or silence and then again silence will condemn you! been there done that!

The question is actually a test as to ones obedience and has nothing to do with truth or lies! just obedience!

16. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I probably could because I don't tend to interact with that many people on a daily basis. If you are not interacting with people you have no reason to lie. I prefer to tell the truth, and I will not lie unless I absolutely feel that I need to. I prefer to be honest, and to deal with people that are honest.

Ystranc likes this.
  17. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Lying requires remembering what isn't true, and that is too much trouble. I don't find myself in position to need to lie, but I do find the ability to spin things to help others see the same truth as you as helpful at times.

18. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I find myself telling small "white lies" every day. From my perspective is mostly to avoid hurting the people I care about. For example: Your girlfriend comes up to you and asks if you liked her pink bright dress. Your answer: "But of Course! that dress looks great on you." This type of thing. Lying is mostly a tool. Whether it is morally wrong or not it's mostly a matter of perspective.

19. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I understand what you mean but where is the line between white lie and manipulation. Are you lieing because you love her or because you want her to love you?
    I'm not trying to be offensive in posing this question, just thought provoking.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    It's easy to go a day without having to lie. I tell lies of course but it's only when it's necessary to defuse a potentially bad situation. If I know that the truth could result in serious physical harm to someone, then I would probably have to lie to save the person from harm otherwise, I don't make it a habit of telling lies.

21. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    It's a good point. I think both statements are true. White lies do unfortunately turn into more serious nonwhite lies I have experienced the fact myself. What I meant is the purpose of every lie should be considered. Lying to gain a personal benefit is one type of lie while lying to avoid hurting your girlfriend is another even though is still lying at the end of the day and it's better off avoided.
    Plus have you ever told a woman you didn't like her clothes? You're better off not telling mate. haha

Ystranc likes this.
  22. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have tried to be constructive rather than hurtful but I do say when she is wearing something unsuitable or ugly. She in turn is brutally honest with me if I'm at risk of going out looking like a tramp (hobo to our American cousins) it works for us. We've been together 31 years.

23. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Oh aye, it's always good, to be honest. Also, we have to take into consideration how your relationship was built. Every couple builds their relationships in different manners. So if you have always been brutally honest with each other and it worked so far for both of you great. Personally, i avoid being blatantly honest because she is very sensitive and gets hurt easily. When I can bend the truth a little it's always helpful.

24. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure it would hurt her more if I wasn't honest with her.

25. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Being honest is always easier. Let's face it it is the acceptable thing to do. If everyone was more honest than they lied the world could be a better place. Still, i don't think there is a way one could be 100% all the time. Some point along the way he'd have to use a small lie to avoid hurting someone or losing his job.

26. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Of course. I don't lie often and the only time I do is to get out from awkward situations or when I don't feel like explaining myself to someone. It's better to lie sometimes in order to get out of bad situations, it's a coping mechanism for some people even which I think is bizzare.

27. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the happy position of just being able to say no to people, I have no one who needs lieing to in order to keep my job. My partner would definitely rather have honesty than platitudes. I asked her, what else could she say? ;) There is no one who's opinion I value enough to try and exaggerate my wealth or status.
    Arkane was absolutely right in his approach to the matter. If you don't want to answer a question that is stupid or puts you on the spot then don't answer it...no need to be impolite but a simple "I'm sorry but I don't want to talk about that" will do.

28. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes. I do it everyday.
    All you have to do is realise that not everyone is always going to be happy with you, but if you spit straight facts and are willing to pragmatically provide evidence to back yourself who gives a care.

Sure, not everyone will like you - but meh...

29. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    This post reminded me of a certain movie which I watched before and I will watch again because I miss it and it's so fun.
    I admit it though, I lie, but not everyday. I lie sometimes to end an argument and make someone happy. But I only lie to small things.
    When it comes to major things I won't like, or rather, I will think carefully if it's worth it to lie.

Waiting for the movie title? It's called "The Invention of Lying". :p

30. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I agree with mostly everyone on this post, it's pretty easy to go a day without lying especially if you don't do anything that causes you to have to lie. Personally, I don't lie that often, I just say the truth because it's not a big deal to me so this is even more easy for me lol.

31. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Well, if I'm being honest (heh) that would depend on the type of lie, but for the most part I'd say the answer is yes. I would not call myself a liar by any means. Whether it's to my parents, friends, or partners, I don't think that I have ever told a major lie. On the other hand, I do have a bit of a problem with white lies but that is with good intention. I'm not a person who likes to debate or argue, so when it comes to certain topics of debate or discussing events, I might alter the truth a bit in order to avoid conflict. I simply don't care enough about anything to get into heated discussions, so I'll just tell someone what they want to hear in order to move on from the topic.

32. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    well to be honest the nature of the human been force us to lie sometimes, for reason of survivalims, social stuff or even for bad actions, the problem is the next: in a world without lying all the trues can be exposed and that is no good to mantain the order in this chaotic world, but if see this in a contex more individual more personal just we go to one conclusion, the lies never will be good, because always the lies will destroy friendships, relationship or even families and for that i wont lie the most of the time, because never going to be good.

33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you know what they say: "tell the truth and shame the devil"...whoever that is":p

34. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Honestly I don't like to lie, I try to be honest as much as I can... Lies can be dangerous, lies can hurts more than the truth in more cases. expecially if and when they comes out as lies. This is more true for big lies of course, then there are smaller lies that are not much of a problem. And sometimes we also lie to ourselves, like when we say "I'll do this in 5 minutes".. it's just procrastinating maybe, but it's a kind of a lie and maybe in this case I lied to myself in more than an occasion.
    But in general... yes, I think I could stay a whole day without lying. I'm not a big liar myself.

Of course, I might have lied writing this post itself... and nobody will ever know ;)

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I tell the truth and if people don't like what I say.......tough!!

36. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    For me staying a whole day without lying is a hard task. I feel that sometimes the things we say and do operate at a subconscious level.Therefore we might lie unconsciously and not figure out that we did so.