Cash at hand

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by remnant, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to move around with some cash in my pockets because one can encounter adverse situations that might threaten survival. For instance, thugs or gangsters have been known to kill or maim individuals who happen to have no cash on them labelling them as mean and imprudent. You can also get into a situation where everyone runs helter skelter or even arrested by police.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    To have a handful of cash in the pocket never hurts. Although, Besides its usefulness to deter thugs and pay for gas and other services readily available, there is not much you can do with just a few in survival circumstances. Maybe for making a makeshift drinking straw or to patching up clothes.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I shop only with cash. I found it's easier to save money when you spend only the money you have. Anyway the reason you need to have some cash always is because in case of anything and you might need to buy something, say food from some farm or anything else you might need which people might have, your credit and debit cards would be useless. But if you have the cash . . .

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have an emergency cash fund, other than that I carry some cash with me mostly for small purchases like a newspaper or such. I carry separate coins in the car for parking or things like a pack of eggs which I buy at local roadside stalls.
    main shopping is done with a debit card, its easier and safer than carrying a wad of notes, I only use a credit card for online shopping and it never leaves the house, the balance is paid off in full at the end of each month, I have no debts whatsoever.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am uncomfortable without some cash on my person. Too many things can arise where money is needed. And ATMs are not always available when you need one.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Cash can come handy in a survival situation. If you have cash, you can give it to a person who is willing to help you. If thugs begin to hassle you, cash can save you. You can also buy food or pay for the transportation back home. Some cash at hand is really useful.However, carrying a wad of banknotes may threaten your life. I trust cash more than the plastic money. Plastic money does not work every where.

7. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Keeping some money on you for the sole purpose of escaping out of a dire situation or throwing off gangsters might work. However, if you're carrying a stack of cash under the false premise of "being prepared", then you won't have much luck there. My best advice would be to carry around just enough that you can afford to lose in one day to an emergency. Maybe 30-40$ seems like a good number.

8. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It seems like we agree that having cash can bail you out of many situations. I can't imagine myself walking around without liquid cash.

It may not be a lot since there are better and safer ways to make purchases involving larger amounts of money, but there are some minor expenditures that obviously need to be settled by cash.

Cash in hand can also be very useful in case of an emergency.