Cash at hand

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by remnant, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to move around with some cash in my pockets because one can encounter adverse situations that might threaten survival. For instance, thugs or gangsters have been known to kill or maim individuals who happen to have no cash on them labelling them as mean and imprudent. You can also get into a situation where everyone runs helter skelter or even arrested by police.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    To have a handful of cash in the pocket never hurts. Although, Besides its usefulness to deter thugs and pay for gas and other services readily available, there is not much you can do with just a few in survival circumstances. Maybe for making a makeshift drinking straw or to patching up clothes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I shop only with cash. I found it's easier to save money when you spend only the money you have. Anyway the reason you need to have some cash always is because in case of anything and you might need to buy something, say food from some farm or anything else you might need which people might have, your credit and debit cards would be useless. But if you have the cash . . .

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have an emergency cash fund, other than that I carry some cash with me mostly for small purchases like a newspaper or such. I carry separate coins in the car for parking or things like a pack of eggs which I buy at local roadside stalls.
    main shopping is done with a debit card, its easier and safer than carrying a wad of notes, I only use a credit card for online shopping and it never leaves the house, the balance is paid off in full at the end of each month, I have no debts whatsoever.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am uncomfortable without some cash on my person. Too many things can arise where money is needed. And ATMs are not always available when you need one.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Cash can come handy in a survival situation. If you have cash, you can give it to a person who is willing to help you. If thugs begin to hassle you, cash can save you. You can also buy food or pay for the transportation back home. Some cash at hand is really useful.However, carrying a wad of banknotes may threaten your life. I trust cash more than the plastic money. Plastic money does not work every where.

7. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Keeping some money on you for the sole purpose of escaping out of a dire situation or throwing off gangsters might work. However, if you're carrying a stack of cash under the false premise of "being prepared", then you won't have much luck there. My best advice would be to carry around just enough that you can afford to lose in one day to an emergency. Maybe 30-40$ seems like a good number.

8. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It seems like we agree that having cash can bail you out of many situations. I can't imagine myself walking around without liquid cash.

It may not be a lot since there are better and safer ways to make purchases involving larger amounts of money, but there are some minor expenditures that obviously need to be settled by cash.

Cash in hand can also be very useful in case of an emergency.

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As we all know, god government wants us to go cashless, go digital, so that they'll have records of all transactions, thus identify enemies of the state and preppers. When it hits the fan, everyone is going to be expected to share. So, here's a current article concerning this topic and where we're at today:

"Norway Is Tracking What Everyone Buys, And Biden Wants To Follow Suit In The United States"

https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/3...en-wants-to-follow-suit-in-the-united-states/

"A report published at the end of May by NRK, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, notes that the official statistics bureau of Norway will soon track most grocery store purchases made in the Scandinavian country, a development that should serve as a warning to Americans about the growing trend in Western nations to expand surveillance and tracking of everyday citizens.

"In an article titled “Statistics Norway demands to know exactly what Norwegians buy in the grocery store,” reporter Martin Gundersen wrote that Statistics Norway has 'ordered the grocery chains NorgesGruppen, Coop, Bunnpris and Rema 1000 to share all their receipt data with the statistical agency.' Gundersen further reports that Nets, a payment service provider that processes about 80 percent of all in-store payments, 'has also been required to share detailed information on all transactions.'

"Statistics Norway, 'the national statistical institute of Norway and the main producer of official statistics' for the country’s government, has said, as part of its new mandate, the agency will collect all customer transaction dates, card services information, user location number, user location name, account numbers, and other relevant information related to each grocery transaction."
    --------------------------------------------------------

For serious prepping items, maybe you want to use cash while cash has meaning. For off-the-books firearms transactions and certainly the purchasing of ammunition, one should use cash.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I am UK, and most of my countrymen have taken the mark, and let TPTB know what they
    buy , by using debit/ credit cards. My wife uses cash, and so do I. I never have less than £100 sterling in my wallet.

Occasionally we have to use plastic ( usually paying local taxes) , but it’s cash all the way.

1. Old Geezer
      Same with gold and silver. When it hits the fan, when fiat currencies become paper (Germany 1920s), when gold and silver go way up in value, spend your precious metals on real items, land, needed tools, whatever, something of intrinsic value. Why?! Because if things go royally sideways, ONLY those items possessing intrinsic value will mean anything whatsoever. Beans and bullets ...

Old Geezer, Jul 3, 2022
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Another survival technique is to run-up your debt.

What?!!! o_Oo_Oo_O:confused::confused::confused:

"Can't get blood out of a turnip."

Banks are going to become non-existent (in Europe, this is already happening). Who is going to come repossess your property? The police and military will be receiving zero pay. What motivation will people in uniform have? None. They will be returning home (with their rifles and equipment) to protect their own families and communities. Historically speaking, this is what always happens. During America's Revolutionary War, masses of troops went home to plant their fields. Desertion? Can you blame them! I can't. George Washington loved his "hillbilly" troops. Why? They enjoyed fighting. It was bred into them. They loved to fight. They loved the battlefield. They loved to destroy their enemies. Destruction made them smile.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it has always been said on prepping sites that one should get out of debt if at all possible, the reasoning for this is I think that you pay interest on the money owed especially on credit card debts, that money could obviously be spent on prepping supplies rather than being wasted on interest payments.
    the only reason one would max out a credit card is when one knows its TEOTWAWKI and nobody will be coming to obtain payment- bailiffs etc- , the trouble is with that is that the event might overwhelm us too soon so we dont have enough time to max out the credit card.
    the average personal debt (not including mortgage or rent) in the UK is around £15,000 for every man, woman and child, I wonder who's got ours??:D we have no debts.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.