Cast Net Can You Throw One?

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by LastOutlaw, Jul 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen these used many times in the past in Hawaii and even seen them used on the East Coast of the USA. If one knows how to throw this one can procure bait fish and even larger fish quickly and easily. I have seen some pretty big fish caught in a cast net. There are a number of different ways to hold and throw a cast net and one should start with a smaller net and work their way up to much larger nets as their skill progresses.
    Here is a beginners video on how to throw a cast net.

Here is another method throwing a larger cast net:

Here is what it looks like underwater:

2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Never used one before. Seeing what he caught, I may add one to my gear.

TMT Tactical and LastOutlaw like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have about 6 of these in different sizes and weights. We use them to catch bait before we start fishing. A cast net and several small gill nets are part of my "fishing survival gear." Even a small one can catch a lot of small fish.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am certain I could throw one. Whether or not it opens, and I catch anything remains to be seen.

I agree it should be a staple in any BOB and in every plan.

5. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Not I, but may have to try it for minnows. They aren't legal here except for that purpose.

Have a gill net and one larger net. The gill net is kept in the truck BOB, but I see the chances of needing it for a wilderness survival scenario as pretty slim. More likely, and what I'm planning on, is as just a more efficient and quicker method of topping off the freezers in the early days of a SHTF event. Many bodies of water nearby, and most are on public land. Filets for us, less savory parts ground up to extend the dog food, and anything left as bear bait if needed. While I've scouted out some places to try first (depending on the time of year) and how we might use them, the problem is not being able to practice/test it now without risking a 5-digit fine and probably jail time if caught.

ad01f8966c433de2c00b730466e0b668.jpeg

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing about these nets is that minnows are just as nutritious as bigger fish. there are a lot more of them and they are a lot easier to find and catch. You don't have to throw a huge net to be successful. In Texas, 7 feet is the max legal diameter. That is 14 feet spread. I also throw nets as small as 3 foot with a 6-foot spread. the smaller lighter nets can be thrown farther and into small pockets in shallow water. Bigger nets with more lead sink faster and are better in deep water. Most of the time we can catch more than a day's worth of shad for bait in a short time. Often we can catch them right at the boat lunch area.

Gill netting is not legal here BUT for survival purposes, I keep several small ones on hand along with my long lines and trotlines I can probably provide fish for a lot of people. I also have seines and traps for both fish (small and large) and crawfish. Crawfish are great nutritionally, easy to catch and good eating.

In places that have a lot of rivers, creeks, lakes and ponds nets can make a big contribution to your protein in your diet. Fishing with hooks line and sinkers works too but netting is almost a sure thing.

7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I made a living on throwing cast net for a while now just to catch me something to eat or bait.

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Sonofliberty, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  9. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Cool videos. This isn't a joke...what do you call the kind of net fishing where several people walk the net out along a line of pilings, hooking it to one that is not necessarily the furthest out, attach it to that one, then one by one, they attach it to the next piling closer to the shore and come back in, leaving the net. After 30 minutes to an hour, they go back out. One person to the furthest attached piling/net. Disconnect it, then one by one disconnect it.
    Then they start walking, forming a wide weeping, not straight in to the shore, but an arc-like manner. It nets a good bunch of fish too. Was with a bunch of guys doing it in south Florida on the Gulf. Anyway, what is that called when you put out a net like that?

Everybody probably knows this, but there's always somebody that doesn't. At one time my friend didn't know.. that mullet, as seen in your video, are vegetarians and can't be caught with bait. They'd swim right past it over and over. Very frustrating for him. lol

10. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I and some friends used to take cast nets to the coast.

We'd find some little tidal creek or bay toss in a few handfuls of cheap dry cat food, and proceed to catch enough fresh shrimp for dinner

You can also catch crayfish or Blue Crabs with one.

The smaller nets are much easier to handle.
    You may just have to make more tosses to catch the same amounts.

11. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    It's called a saine net

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  12. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I thought it was a seine net, but either way.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  13. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    That's it

TMT Tactical, Sonofliberty and Radar like this.
  14. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Native Hawaiians fished as a tribe with a seine net.
    They called it Hukilau

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.