Catching Wild Chickens

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Corzhens, Jul 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a trick revealed by a homesteader who used to live in an isolated mountain where wild chickens, boar and deer are abundant. His trap for wild chickens is a blanket. Tie the 4 corners of the blanket to the nearby trees, about 3 feet high, with a release knot that is connected to a long rope. Place the bait under the blanket. When the chickens come to peck on the grains then pull the release trigger so the blanket falls on the chicken. There, you have your lunch.

2. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Interesting tactic, @Corzhens ; but I am not quite sure how it can work. If you tie all four corners of the blanket to a tree, even if the release rope pulls all of the knots out, it would still happen one corner at a time, and the blanket is not going to fall evenly, and when the first corner falls, all the chickens will run out from under the open sides.
    That is interesting that you have wild chickens in the mountains.
    When chickens are let loose in the day, they usually come home to their roost at night. Even if someone moved away or died and left the chickens, they would still go out and eat in the day and come back to their roost each night, assuming that they were free to get in and out of the chicken coop.
    Maybe people just took chickens out into the hills and turned them loose ?
    If that happened here, coyotes, foxes, or some other predator would kill them right away, unless they were Banty chickens that can fly better than regular chickens.

Corzhens likes this.
  3. Marivic

Marivic New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I have lived in the urban for long years and thinking to have that kind if experience is going to be fun..and if that's going to be a help for a meal, well I think there should be some sort of strategy to catch it.

4. eyinka

eyinka New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    This seems to be something extremely fun. I do not know if I'd consider eating chickens in case of survival but for now, I am not much of a fan. Till then!
    Thanks for sharing mate. I can try to oppress the few ones that come around. Haha!

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    You are somewhat right on the chickens escaping from the blanket. Oh well, I had to consult my husband on the matter and he said that I forgot something. The corners of the blanket should have weights, can be stones. When the releasse cord is pulled, the weight will hastily pull down the blanket such that the center will be the last to hit the ground. I hope I got it right this time LOL. Sorry for that missing ingredient. That's the difference when you don't experience it, the accuracy is questionable sometimes.