Charcoal For Food Poisoning

Discussion in 'Natural Medicine and Home Remedies' started by randyt, Mar 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      385/460

Blog Posts:
    Charcoal can be used to treat food poisoning. Most recommend activated charcoal but regular old campfire charcoal will suffice. The best way to use is to crush the charcoal and make up a "smoothie" so to speak and drink down. This has a lot of merit more research for those interested will be valuable

howler, Caribou, Blitz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      352/460

Blog Posts:
  3. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    there is a article in a old American Survival Guide magazine. Written by Chris Janowsky, at the time he ran World Survival Institute. The article was about using charcoal for food poisoning, specifically campfire charcoal. It's something I always remembered.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Blitz like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    That would be a good read. I noticed in the articles they were banging on about "activated" charcoal. Somewhere it was mentioned not using camp fire type charcoal, most probably to cover their rumps or to promote buying activated charcoal. However, as the only requirement is for the charcoal to reach a certain heat, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use campfire charcoal.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and randyt like this.
  5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Charcoal works by absorbing the poison so it is not available for your body to digest. It works for other poisons also. Activated charcoal is more porous and thereby more effective. This is the type of charcoal you will find in charcoal water or air filters. It is also available in pharmacies or over the net. Some of the best charcoal is made from coconut hulls. Activated charcoal is also available in capsules and is easier to get down than in shake form.

randyt, TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  6. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      327/345

Blog Posts:
    Be careful with activated charcoal capsules. If you are on medication the charcoal will absorb that. As always, speak to your doctor.

7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I thought the same. It also got me wondering about what nutrients it absorbs. Probably okay in the short term, but certainly I'd be cautious with long term use (ie some articles were talking about taking them to "de-tox".

TMT Tactical, randyt and Caribou like this.
  8. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    I think where charcoal shines is when it comes to food poisoning. A crushed charcoal shake in my mind is a last ditch effort use where there is no doctor and no other option. But as in all things it is best to get the knowledge now rather then trying to figure it out after.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  9. Caribou

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Do not use briquettes as they are not pure charcoal and have an agent added to glue them together.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Its activated carbon / charcoal NOT merely charcoal. The only good coming from charcoal is for fuel NOT for any medicine.

Example of Activated Carbon tablets,

fc69fd599b08584f226e9ef7197882e6.jpeg

Caribou, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Is not burnt wood from a fire considered a form of activated charcoal to some degree ?

Pharma pills are surely better but under austere, emergency conditions, would not the campfire's consumed wood qualify ? It's worked for me.

12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    Some info on how charcoal is "activated":

From LiveScience: https://www.livescience.com/activated-charcoal.html

"Activated charcoal is created from carbon-rich materials burned at high temperatures, according to the National Capital Poison Center (Poison Control). For example, carbon-rich materials such as wood, coconut shells or coal, are burned at a high temperature (between 600 and 900 degrees Celsius or 1,110 and 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit) to create a charcoal powder.

Activated Charcoal: Antidote, Remedy and Health Aid" (TEACH Services, Inc., 2016). The excess material is then washed away with a dilute acid solution to leave the pure carbon. The charcoal can further be treated to create a finer network of pores, and therefore additional surface area, by exposing it to an oxidizing gas, such as steam or carbon dioxide.

So much additional surface area is created during the activation process that 50 grams of activated charcoal (which is about the weight of 20 U.S. pennies) has 17.5 times more surface area than a full-size football field, according to a 2016 study in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology."

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

"Activated carbon is carbon produced from carbonaceous source materials such as bamboo, coconut husk, willow peat, wood, coir, lignite, coal, and petroleum pitch. It can be produced by one of the following processes:

1. Physical activation: The source material is developed into activated carbons using hot gases. Air is then introduced to burn out the gasses, creating a graded, screened and de-dusted form of activated carbon. This is generally done by using one or a combination of the following processes:
      • Carbonization: Material with carbon content is pyrolyzed at temperatures in the range 600–900 °C, usually in inert atmosphere with gases like argon or nitrogen
      • Activation/Oxidation: Raw material or carbonized material is exposed to oxidizing atmospheres (oxygen or steam) at temperatures above 250 °C, usually in the temperature range of 600–1200 °C.
    2. Chemical activation: The carbon material is impregnated with certain chemicals. The chemical is typically an acid, strong base,[1][2] or a salt[19] (phosphoric acid 25%, potassium hydroxide 5%, sodium hydroxide 5%, calcium chloride 25%, and zinc chloride 25% ). The carbon is then subjected at lower temperatures (250–600 °C). It is believed that the temperature activates the carbon at this stage by forcing the material to open up and have more surface areas or microscopic pores. Chemical activation is preferred over physical activation owing to the lower temperatures, better quality consistency and shorter time needed for activating material."

13. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:

agreed, sometimes we are not in a perfect world.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. F22 Simpilot

327/345

Blog Posts:
    On the contrary, but you may want to take this with a grain of NaCl. Many years ago I was watching The History Channel or Discovery Chanel about the Marine Mountain Expedition unit what ever they're called now, and I believe they were training in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Well, a soldier got sick and they had a campfire. They took some of the "charcoal" and mixed it with water and told the soldier to drink. The soldier tried to drink it but just couldn't. I firmly remember this because I would have bucked up, pinched my nose and gulped the stuff for my betterment.

So there you go. Perhaps simple campfire charcoal can be effective seen as how the military may be trained to use it. But it's just what I saw on the show so I'm not too sure. I suppose activated carbon would be far more superior due to its surface.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Rebecca, randyt, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  15. F22 Simpilot

327/345

Blog Posts:
    Spelled soldier wrong for god sakes. LOL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    There is a good book called Where there is no Doctor by if memory serves David Werner. It's a book about health care in remote villages, probably south and central America. I haven't read this book for at least 40 years.

I wonder what their recommendations would be. I need to pick up a copy of that book

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  17. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
  18. Caribou

250/345

Blog Posts:
  19. F22 Simpilot

327/345

Blog Posts:
    Those look like good books. I may go ahead and buy them and study what it has to offer.

20. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    dang, that was fast. Ordered the book Where there is no Doctor, it came Saturday.

Anyhoo in the book on page 103 it says to give a cup of activated charcoal or a tablespoon of powdered charcoal in a glass of water for a child or two tablespoons of powdered charcoal for a adult.

poltiregist, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. poltiregist

poltiregist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounded like a good book so I ordered me one .

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    Let us know what you think of it.

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  23. poltiregist

poltiregist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    I got my book in today " where there is no doctor " . So far I have just had time to skim through it but It does appear to be the ideal book for the prepper preparing for complete self reliance . A practical book that seems tailor made for a post S.H.T.F. world . Thanks to randyt and Caribou for bringing this book to my attention .

Caribou, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  24. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

Also:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Snyper,

I have contrary information here.

--------------------------

Concur; activated charcoal pharma tablets might not effect intestinal gas - but it could help in re stomach gas.

Concur; Activated charcoal won't help someone who gulped down a plastic bottle of Liquid Plumber brand drain opener.

Corrosive agents and strong acids do not directly relate to using completely burnt firewood instead of a Tums or Rolaids.

randyt, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.