Cheap military kits

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Damorale, Jun 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You can buy cheap military kits online. Does anyone own one? Here is a list of what is included in one that you can get for £25 ($36 approx).

• Water resistant tin
    • Vinyl tape
    • Button compass
    • Knife
    • Matches
    • Pencil
    • Purification tables
    • Snare wire
    • Candle
    • Fireball flint and striker
    • Fishing kit
    • Whistle
    • Sewing kit
    • Safety pins
    • Wire saw
    • Survival instructions
    • Accident evaluation form
    • Signal mirror
    • Tin-hanging handle
    • Tinder
    • Water bags
    • Single edged razors
    • Adhesive plasters
    In your average survival kit, I don't think all of these are necessary. I don't know what use you would have for the whistle, for example. I also imagine that for £25 the quality of the items can't exactly be high (though the reviews say otherwise). Has anyone bought a cheap military kit, or do you think it's best to start your own kit with items you know will definitely do the job?

SSG Nasty likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    make up your own kit, personal to you and to your situation/location.
    these ready made kits aren't to help you survive as such, they are for the seller to make money, they aren't doing it for your benefit!!

Para173 and SSG Nasty like this.
  3. SSG Nasty

SSG Nasty Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Lonewolf - most of what is in this kit is readily available in your own home (as in - you already own it).

4. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Make your own. You can get better stuff and select the stuff you really think is relative to your situation.

5. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I did 20 years in the Navy, 15 of which as a P-3 Flight Engineer. The kits in our SV-2 survival vests were barely adequate . They were to be supplemented with the kits in our survival rafts, but still inadequate. The survival knife in our vest was poorly tempered and prone to snapping off at the hilt. I replaced mine with a Cold Steel Hunter. I also added as much extra gear as I thought I might need. I also added some gear to a nylon butt pack, more slated to land survival as opposed to water. There have been some up dates to the gear since I quit flying and went to SERE School as an Instructor. At SERE we had plenty of leeway to build our own kits and in fact tested a lot of gear for the Navy and LL Bean. Depending on your situation, environment, and availability you are much better off building your own kit.

6. Tom neely

Tom neely Member
      11/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi I belong to the Sheriff Dept search and rescue in Yavipae county(volunteer) if you have any demo's you can send me to use on missions I can show all58 member your stuff at meeting

7. Born Prepper

Born Prepper Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the others, make your own kit. I am from the UK too, and have been adding to my kit for a while now. It takes time, but is well worth it. Mine doubles up as a camping kit.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to try and possibly survive with a survival kit then you need to put it together yourself and make sure your components are the best quality possible. By making your own you also get to make it so that it will play to your strengths and offer you the protections that you might need depending on where you live and the conditions that you might encounter there.

As an example, in a desert you won't have much use for a fishing kit and probably won't have a terrible insect problem. What you WILL need is sunscreen and some way to provide shade. Where I was raised maximum strength insect repellent was a must have. In colder areas wool is a must and cotton is a killer. Where I live cotton is king and wool is useless for most times.

Possibly the most important part of putting together your own kits is the forethought that you will put into it.