Chest Freezer To Fridge Conversion For Off Grid Use

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by LastOutlaw, Jun 15, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have an off grid cabin and when I first got it I was toiling with the issue of keeping food and drinks cool. From my cabin it is about an hour drive over bumpy roads and two water crossings to get to pavement. I do not live full time at my cabin but once there I do not want to drive back to town every couple or few days for ice for a cooler.

The alternatives? Buy a $600 propane fridge and feed it lots of propane or a $300 cooler and drive for ice every 4 to 5 days instead of every two or three days for an igloo cooler.

Neither was appealing to me. I began to research and ran across an ingenious alternative that ran off of electricity but used minimal watts per day.

Since I already had a battery bank this sounded like a great alternative. What was it?
    A Chest freezer converted to a fridge using a simple device that plugs right in.

I bought a used chest freezer for about $75.00 and when I bought my controller they were below $50.00. So for a bit over a hundred dollars I had a fridge that only used about 130 watts in a 24 hour period. I have been using it now for about 5 years and am extremely happy with it.

Here is an article on it for anyone who would like to try it.
    https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/convert-chest-freezer-to-fridge-solar/

This is a Johnson controller:
    https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Cont...re+Controller&qid=1560651827&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.