Chewing Gum For Thirst And Hunger

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Corzhens, Jul 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a very minor survival story.

I didn’t know that the small thing in the packet called chewing gum can ease hunger and thirst. This is based on my own experience when we were stranded by the great flood of 2009. We were inside our car that was parked in a high area for more than 24 hours and all we had was 2 small bottles of water, a pack of crackers and chewing gum. When all was gone, it was the chewing gum that eased our thirst and hunger. For more than 12 hours, I was chewing the same gum and I was even tempted many times to swallow it although I fought that urge. In a survival situation, I would consider that small packet of gum as a big resource.

howler likes this.
  2. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow, never thought one chewing gum could alleviate thirst and hunger for 12 hours, that's quite impressive!

Do chewing gums have something in them that made them last this long (Even though the taste was gone) or was it just pure determination to survive?

If that was me though, I would have swallowed that gum hours ago already.

3. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing That story Though I would like to disagree Naturally chewing gum stimulates the gastric juices which produces saliva, The saliva that is produced goes into the stomach and makes the stomach expect or think there is food to be digested and The stomach keeps working as if there is food coming and that makes you even hungrier; So for me I would rather pach some chocolates, And fruits for my journey instead of chewing gums! Oh And I forgot to tell you also that When I chew gums while I'm hungry I get stomach pains and I understand that because I would be increasing my hunger may be that's not common though from your experience :)

Blitz likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Plus it's more of a psychological tool, I think. I'm with Clara, I don't think it's something I'd pack for survival purposes. Maybe a luxury item (if you like chewing gum, that is). Not my cup of tea though.

5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Blitz,

For survival purposes, sugar-free gum is mentioned in emergency field dental care.

I took a course on this (overseas) and in case of a filling falling out, the gum provides a decent sealant until reaching a dental clinic.

Blitz likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Ooooh, interesting. Hadn't thought of that one! I don't like gum but I can see the benefits now you mention it!

7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have here next to this computer a large tub of some 340 pieces of Double Bubble Bubble Gum. I like to chew gum...often Wintergreen flavored gum....but like most types and it gets me through the night at work.

I am often passing it out to some of the crew at work or leave out a small bowl.

However...never quite thought of it as a survival tool but thanks for the story on your experience.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Blitz likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    okay for cleaning your teeth but not something I would stock myself.

Blitz likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/RXNORM?p=classes&conceptid=367149

Good morning all,

Sometimes chewing gum is used for health product delivery.

Above links tells of aspirin in a chewing gum. For those in an evac status, a GOOD occasion, it could serve a need if not wanting to consume the usual water with pill.

Some chewing gums are available with multi-vitamins. Believe this is oriented toward getting children to take vitamins. This product - could - also like Aspergum, be something for a Prepper planning for an evac / GOOD mode to research.

Blitz likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    rather store the aspirin instead.
    ditto vitamins.

Morgan101 likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There have been serious medical studies that do show chewing gum is helpful in thirst reduction. Seems that most conclude having the gum in your mouth increases saliva activity.

I wonder if you would get the same results by putting a pebble in your mouth?

Blitz likes this.
  12. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    The indians had a trick , they would put a small smooth round stone in their months
    to get rid of thirst .

Blitz and Morgan101 like this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There you go. Probably did it light years before chewing gum was invented.

Blitz likes this.