Christopher Mccandless

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Feb 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have often wondered what made McCandlass so special. Here is a kid that died in the woods, made stupid mistakes, won stupid prizes.

There are many kids that die in the woods but there are not books and movies made about them.

I have often wondered why?

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Why? He was the stupid fool someone wrote a book about and a movie about. Why was the book and movie written about him and not the dozen or so people who die every year in Alaska doing dumb things? Who knows...

Unfortunately it’s a cult, and my tax dollars go to trying to rescue these fools each year.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      "Unfortunately it’s a cult,..." Yes, thank you. And the MSM plus movie industry are sidewalk refreshment stands where people go to drink the Kool-Aid.

Old Geezer, Feb 16, 2020
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Maybe that's it, when they found him rescue was no longer a option.

4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    On the cult thing, I have often wondered the attraction. My thought is this cult thing appeals to those poor fools enslaved in the debt and trappings of their urban/suburban lifestyles and they fantasize about escape. It’s a sad commentary on those who fall to this cult, particularly when they know the ultimate outcome of their hero’s failed attempt to break the chains that hold them captive.

Sourdough and randyt like this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    this cult thing is new to me, never heard of it but can see what it means. Growing up the people I knew, none of them were urbanites. some had dirt floors in their homes. Really don't know many urbanites now but imagine some of my customers that are from the city probably fall in this category.

Sourdough likes this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I believe if you follow the chronology it started as a magazine article in Outside Magazine. That evolved into a book a few years later, and the book into a movie. There must have been enough interest, financial or otherwise, to warrant it getting to that stage. I haven't read all of the book or seen the movie. The ill advised decisions of a troubled youth are of no interest to me. I do not see him as a hero, or anything, but a troubled youth looking for answers in all the wrong places.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably because people who do things right don't warrant a book or a movie, its the idiots who make sales possible.