Cigarettes For Barter?

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by CivilDefense, Jun 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    So, I don't, no one in my family, and no one in our mutual assistant group (MAG) smokes cigarettes. It is, after all, an unhealthy, expensive, and disgusting habit. However, there are a lot of people in this area that suck on cancer sticks. It has crossed my mind to buy a cartoon or two of cigs for barter purposes for thoses that "got to have it".

Anyone socking away such a thing? Do cigarettes go bad and, if so, how do you preserve them? Do you have any moral qualms about using such items for barter?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Best barter ... in prison.

So what is one to do? Can't let it dry. Freezing causes crystals ("freezer burn"). A humidor keeps it best, yet moisture inevitably leads to mold. My mother's father's father simply grew his own (he was of the Cherokee and Scots). Growing one's own I guess is the trick. Burley eats the Earth, sucks the nutrients right out the very dirt. Fertilizer and fertilizer -- add the suckering = a lot'a work, to be sure. Big Burley fills my childhood memories. The aroma fills my nose even now. Tobacco sticks as fertilizer, just the best to get new grass begun; straw upon the grass seeds sewn, water and water, and tobacco sticks to hold it all down. Again the aroma. Throw a tobacco stick on established grass and it'll have the effect of a stretched green cow pie = green green green. Hawk bill knives, young men, strong backs, pockets full of money come the cutting and the hangings, three tiers in the barns, tobacco money in my dad's gambling machines. There will be beef on the table come Saturday.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Moral qualms": What a wide smile steals my face.

How to get corn to market? Answer: In liquid form, in a barrel, in jugs guarded by straw, after the copper screw. It was the way of the Scots-Irish of Southern Appalachia -- my folk.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-story-of-the-wildest-party-in-white-house-history/

One hundred thirty years before my day, Andrew Jackson took offices seven miles down the road as an attorney, to become judge. He was a slaver and was hated in this Republican stronghold. Would have been best for all concerned had he drowned in his liquid corn.

"Moral qualms", a man must do as he must do -- especially the poor man.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I personally wouldn't store stuff for barter that I couldn't use myself, why use up storage space that could be better used for ones own needs? and I wouldn't store cigarettes, tobacco or alcohol either.
    anyone who is going to barter is assuming there will be someone to barter with, this might not be the case, as the survival rate is expected to be quite low.

Ystranc likes this.
  5. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm a former smoker. Thank God... smokes are perishable and I have no need for them. Alcohol can be stored for a long long time. Possibly good barter item that can also be used for antiseptic, anesthetic & enjoyed on special occasions. Seems more practical IMHO

Ystranc likes this.
  6. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't smoke so it wouldn't interest me. I wouldn't store something for barter that another person could be even mildly addicted to because if they couldn't afford the price there is a good chance they'd try to take it by force or theft. A situation best avoided.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  7. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree, there is some risk either way. If someone thinks you have something they can take there is a risk.

8. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That's a great idea and a very good bartering item. I suck on those cancer sticks myself, and if I didn't have any and had something to trade for them, you'd definitely have my business. I know they're bad, hopefully one day I'll quit. Guarantee people will be looking for those.

9. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I think that cigarettes will be an awesome bartering item. It will definitely be something people want, stale or not. They are light so carrying a carton or two won't weigh you down. I am going to have a few cartons but up for bartering purposes.