City foraging

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by QuakeringInTokyo, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Is foraging in a city a viable option for finding really available food?

I've seen berry bushes in some cities but am very ignorant of what plants etc are edible that we just don't eat.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When you think about the number of people in a city, or even in a town, in a shtf situation it would simply not be safe to stay & forage. The competition for food would be great, & some people would be prepared to kill for it..
    Wild edibles on the sides of roads or even in fields next to roads are likely to be contaminated from passing traffic, & would need a thorough washing before they could be considered safe to eat.
    In the country away from roads though there are many edible plants that are ignored at this present time. Colonial countries have not only native edible plants, but also edible plants introduced by settlers.
    The countryside is the best place to be in a shtf situation, though there will still be competition for food & therefore some danger.
    Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Seeing as most everybody has headed for the hills those few left will be able to salvage from others veggie gardens
    You can even check garages and sheds for tools and seeds and work that garden somewhat!
    Potatoes would be the go as they hide themselves well!

4. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I thought of when I saw your post about city foraging was the concept of dumpster diving that I've heard people talk about. I don't know that it would work in a life or death kind of survival situation though - but if you want information about it, look up "freeganism" and you should be able to find a lot online. It's rather fascinating about how people will find perfectly good food in dumpsters that companies just throw out.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its surprising what might actually be growing in a city people are totally unaware of.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I do think that foraging in a city in order to survive is definitely doable, but my main concern would be how many others would actually be doing the same? In another post it was mentioned about other people running away from the city into the hills and if that happens and you've got the city to yourself then you'd have no problems surviving. The major problem would come if people stayed where they are and then it would be a straight fight to use whatever you could find in that city before you'd all then move on to the next one and do the same again.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it all depends on the survival rate, in a serious societal collapse event this will be quite low, but of course one will still need to practise situational awareness. there probably wont be much left in a city centre, and moving out to the suburbs might be better, forget about supermarkets and normal shops they will be picked clean fairly early on, think about places like staff canteens, industrial estates and small corner stores. even newsagents will have sweets and snacks, filling stations will have sweets, biscuits and a warmer cabinet with stuff like pasties, pies and sausage rolls. try to think "outside the box"!

pwarbi likes this.
  8. shcoo

shcoo New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ Dumpster diving was my first thought, too. I know plenty of people who forage like this right now.
    I would leave the city, but on my way out I would try to check in dumpsters, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. if they were not already being looted, emptied, or claimed by other people. I would gather up as much food as I could. I would also eventually try to plant any seeds I found in the looted fruits and vegetables around my new dwelling.

9. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    As said above, city foraging is definitely a viable option because there are so many edible options that people overlook or don't think about. From the plants to stuff that you can get from trees, people right now eat some of the stuff that's available. Only thing would be to make sure that even though it might be edible, it won't make you worse off than you are. So do your best to protect yourself from contamination. I know people consider dumpster diving a great alternative, but there are some things in the dumpster I would never touch. Like one of the members also posted above, you can be sure that if it is a SHTF moment, most will leave behind good supplies that you can use to help with your survival. Whatever is gained, you should be able to effectively use to guide you in the right direction whether it's first aid tools, a basement full of items that you can pack up and take or even weapons for protection.

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    City and urban if you have truck or wagon that works alot can be found and used pallets and shipping boxes make a great shelter cardboard from recycle dumpster insulate and seal a shelter nothing wrong with dumpster dive if the stuff is of use to you out of date chips cookies can goods all kinds of stuff cand be found learn rounds of bread trucks chips ect most time they will give you out of date stuff if you ask for

11. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Poor people are doing this here now. One of the favourite places is out the back of vegetable shops where they throw out their old stock.
    Keith.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I like your idea of thinking outside the box, and you'r right in saying the first place people ill head for will be the supermarkets. As for the filling stations though, you may also find that they're one of the first places people will go as petrol and diesel will be in high demand also, so while people are syphoning as much fuel as they can, the store will also be one of the first places to be targeted as well I would have though.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    your probably right, but think about smaller shops, places like Spar and Nisa, even offices even if they don't have canteens may have vending machines, at the least they may have a room where the staff make tea and coffee, there may be tins of these along with packets of biscuits.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stores usually have a "just in time" delivery system, and normally have about 3 days worth of normal sales in stock, in an emergency that will go in as many hours, milk and bread first, followed by other perishable stuff ,and cans normally last, if someone were to buy just a couple of extra cans or a couple of packs of dried food each time they went to the stores they would soon have a food "stash".