City Life...

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by ToTang45, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Okay, so I guess my question is in regards to city life in general as someone who lives in the suburbs myself.
    For others who live in the city, who are probably much more advanced in their 'post-SHTF' planning, what do you have lined up or theoretically planned for should you have to haul ass out of the city?

I keep thinking about this but really have no actual kind of logical answer to it. Obviously, and someone may have a better kind of answer to what I'm about to say that will prove me entirely wrong, but once things have happened and people are enabling their plans surely the more isolated from others you are the safe you are.

Where would one suggest setting up camp? Finding an abandoned house or something? (Yes, that's seriously the best I've come up with *sigh*)

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    If you move to an abandoned house within the thick of the wilderness, sooner or later you will receive undesirable visits. You don't who actually owns that property and one day someone will feel whimsical enough to pay a visit there again. For me, that notion of achieving loneliness as a way of safety from other human beings, is justified if you live among cutthroats, criminal gangs and other kinds of human scum.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When planning for leaving the city, it is best to already know where you are going. IF there is an abandoned house somewhere, then (A) you need to find it beforehand, & (B) you need to be very careful to make sure no one is living there when you finally have to move. I.E. other people may have the same idea as you & got there first!

If you are travelling by motor vehicle then you could live in this. ALWAYS pack your vehicle knowing that you may have to ditch it at any time & continue on foot. In other words pack your gear in backpacks so you can carry it on your back. I suggest you take canvas or oilcloth with you for shelter.

Bare in mind that your vehicle will leave a track to follow, whether on a track or off road. If it was me, I would get to the area where I want to be, then ditch the vehicle & go the rest of the way on foot.

IF you move into a house in the bush, sooner or later you WILL be found. Bare this in mind when planning security. By far your best bet would be to purchase your own retreat as soon as you can so you are all set up before it hits the fan. Nothing to lose here, land will only increase in value & one day you may wish to retire to your retreat anyway.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is no way you can hide with a track like this leading to your house!

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in the suburbs and live south of the Metroplex in Texas. Depending on what kind of SHTF it is, I think of going to my niece's house. Her husband has rifles and owns a deer lease that we might be able to live at until society calms down a bit. My other option is, if I am able to drive north through the Metroplex, to drive to Oklahoma where my cousins live on many acres in the country. They know how to shoot and have game on their property where we would all be able to survive.

5. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I definitely don't think that I would go into an abandoned house because you have no idea who else had that same plan. Maybe I just watch too many scary movies, but I also don't want to worry about creepers and weirdos hanging out in houses. I would rather take my chances by camping out somewhere rather than risking my life, and if I'm with people, I don't want to put them at risk either.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Raiding and hunting threw places will be common enter carefuly look everywhere pack finds up move on or if you get lucky and find a haven set up nice move in

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    North Devon is a low population area, most of the main settlements are in south Devon along the coast. North Devon has less than 10% of the population of Devon as a whole.
    there are plenty of abandoned buildings,both houses and non houses that have been unused for years, also one of two commercial places like old worked out quarries, plus lots of woods.
    there seems to be this assumption in Britain- mostly by people in London and Kent- that there is no where safe, whilst this is untrue I am perfectly happy to let people think this!!:D

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    better make sure this is okay with them before there is any emergency, they might not have figured on having visitors, especially any without their own stores.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am city-bred and has no fair experience in the rural area except for some trips and camping expeditions. But let me cite the experience of my mother-in-law. She was born and raised in Manila. When the second world war broke out, her family moved to the nearby province of Laguna. They pitched camp by the side of the Makiling mountain. She said that life seemed normal in mountain although they had to adjust to the rural life particularly with the sourcing of food. In the city, there were occasional bombings and some residents were turning to crimes for survival. That thought strengthened their resolve to survive in the mountain even if they had no experience whatsoever. The adjustment takes months but in the period of survival mode, that is not a hard task at all. The most important for them is not to get sick and not to get hungry (and thirsty).

If the same thing would happen now, I'm sure we will evacuate to a similar rural area where there are no crowds much better if there are no people.

10. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    So much valuable information in the post above!
    I'm definitely keeping all this in mind especially given that you and I seem to be from the same part of the world Keith.

Good tip on the retreat too. If only I had that kind of money, I mean, I can't even afford a price on a first home (younger generation, it's major tough out there) but I have thought if it's ever something I can afford I'd buy, furnish and prepare a hobby farm somewhere rural perhaps an hour or two away. Which if you cover your arse could be good prepping too, no?