Cleveland Survival Give Advice

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Feb 18, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cleveland.com/metro/202...l-need-in-case-of-a-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Good morning all,

Per ...

The picture, at top left, shows 2 lights. No fire extinguishers visible.

Article has a link - I think; haven't checked - to a prep blog titled "Apartment Prepper".

I believe some face masks can stop a virus. Check out the P series.

Meanwhile, I need a Cat 5 hurricane to get away from these high-blood-pressure fear stories.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always questioned whether or not a mask could stop a virus. I'm sure it is better than nothing, but it is no where close to being air tight. How much does it really protect?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    ii think face masks should be worn by anyone with a cold, flu or the covid19 virus and that it should be normal procedure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

Some of the masks are face tight. The instructions for a P-100 requires "molding the mask to the face for a tight seal.

I have both N-95s and P-100s. The P series are much more expensive because they are better. Aforesaid types are what average emergency responders use. The surgeons, certain special rescue folks, a couple of other categories, have even better - but they cost buchu $$$ and usually organization-issued.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Good Morning Pragmatist: You have used these. I have not. First Question: How long do they stay air tight? If we consider a normal amount of motion on any given day how long will these stay in place? If we factor in strenuous activity, physical outdoor labor, how long? Second Question: Comfort? I worked in an industry where a half face mask was required for certain activities. It was not fun, and it was not comfortable. You couldn't wait to get that thing off. How much discomfort will the general population withstand before they get fed up? Third Question: How long do they last? One per day? More? Less? I am not trying to be contentious. I am curious, and would like to know.

To ask the real question for which there is probably not a good answer, how effective are they (masks)? Are they really keeping you safe enough to bear the discomfort , and the expense?

Thanks for the info.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

I don't know how long the form-fitting masks stay air tight. My threshold for wearing them is much less than others wearing them. When I finish an immediate assignment involving explicit danger warnings requiring use of the mask, I plan to use another new mask if I work another assignment at the incident. If I do not have a proper supply, my volunteer efforts are reallocated to other matters.

To me: uncomfortable.

I cannot envision the general public wearing form-fitting masks. They are too expensive and requires being properly fitted to function.

I do not use industry or OSHA ratings for masks. I use a new mask for every specific event involving infectious dangers.

The real question;

I wrote here at MSF some time ago, that after Vietnam, I was assigned riot control in our beautiful downtowns of cities. The form-fitting Army mask created so much sweat, it was dangerous to wear. My eyes were frequently burning and had problems drinking water ... had to remove the mask. My ability to run was reduced and could not, if necessary, shoot.

The new multi-time use, disposable masks, like the P-100 are just versions of the Army gas mask.

The expense;

A base line for a comparison is the small big box store consumer fire extinguisher. The citizenry does not have fire extinguishers in their dwellings. Will they buy form-fitting face masks ?

The cost ( and support systems [ eg even for animal rescue, someone is needed to help with mask and suit]) is usually beyond the means of "Middle-America".

There are masks that work for specialized labor such as surgeons and some emergency field personnel. Individuals cannot buy this PPE.

A tangent;

During Gulf War 1, the Israelis developed masks to accommodate their ultra orthodox with large beards and even baby cribs that protect against gas warfare. The technology exists but requires knowledge to use and government (or industry) provided.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    All good info. Thank you for sharing.

TMT Tactical likes this.