Climate Change, Beautiful Landscapes In Uk

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jan 1, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The Guardian is a left wing paper, well known for its lack of accuracy. One wonders where the UK's food would really come from if half our garland was converted. There has been talk of vertical framing for decades.

One of the more successful frame in Thanet Earth that grows tomatoes etc under glass all year round in an amazingly slick, plant disease free, and efficient way. The price is, of course, the higher price for their fruit and vegetables, but it does minimise the travel distances and costs.

Thanet Earth: Home Pagehttps://www.thanetearth.com

Their food is nice, but it is a very intensive form of farming and I don't fancy the countryside being covered on food factories instead of fields.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I read that Thanet Earth was only producing Salad crops and there isn't a lot of food value in salad, I don't think we'll be eating much salad post SHTF.

Brownbear likes this.
  4. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is mostly salad crops. That, I believe, is because they use a hydroponic system which lends itself best to salads rather than fruits. Their tomatoes are very nice though...

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    modern tomatoes don't have the same taste as I remember growing up, dad used to grow tomatoes in a lean to greenhouse and walking in there they had a smell all of their own.

Brownbear likes this.
  6. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Weird taste but available in abundance is still much better than having good 'ol taste but rarely available or worse none at all.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if something has a "weird" taste i'm not eating it! especially post SHTF.

8. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think this has to do with varieties. I cannot comment to tomatoes per se, but with strawberries the reason is that supermarkets wanted a variety with a longer shelf life. The industry standard is now the Setanta variety, which has the longest shelf lie, but, the least taste (the taste being provided by the sugars and acids in the ripening process which, of course, speeds up ripening).

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Anecdote: Knew a young beautiful woman (smart, major tech. skills) who was obsessed about staying skinny. She said she ate lots of lettuce because it took more calories to digest it that were in it.

Meat beats salad any day in the nutrition department. Liver is super-high in needed nutrients. Yet there are some vegetables that are high in nutrients/minerals needed by we humans. We need vit.A, so veggies like carrots, tomatoes, squash, ... veggies with beta carotene are needed in your diet. Berries are dynamite in the nutrition realm; blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, ...

I've had singular bad luck with strawberries. All my fault.

Fresher the tomatoes, the better. We had a bumper crop, however I didn't take good care of them other that making sure that they were thoroughly watered. I didn't sucker them enough. You can make all sorts of dishes with squash. My wife makes zucchini bread -- it's heavy and filling, plus you get your beta carotene.