Cloth Diapers

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by SouthernMama, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    For those with diaper age children, do you cloth diaper? I started using cloth diapers with my third daughter so I am fairly new to the cloth diaper world! But am so glad to be in it!
    Cloth diapers are something to think about if you aren't already using them. Disposable diapers aren't going to be available in a crisis.

MountainCutie likes this.
  2. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    While my kids are no longer in the diaper stage, I used cloth diapers for both of them. I tried the old fashioned cloths with rubber pants and I tried All in Ones (AIOs). The rubber pants always leaked. I am not that great with safety pins or folding so I used AIOs most. I used bumgenius, g diapers, and I think it was called Thirsties- I liked Thirsties best. G diapers has an insert that is composted or flushed. Not good for a SHTF scenario or a baby that holds all its pee and pees all at once. G diapers are good for trips though where you'll be in a hotel or going on an airplane because then you aren't carrying around a wet diaper. I don't know if they now have a cloth all in one, they might. I always used them for trips and I liked the cover and waterproofing once I positioned it right. It was easy on my baby's skin. Thirsties worked well with inserts and without. They were easy on the skin and sucked up a lot of urine. If they peed all at once I had no worries. BumGenius leaked, all the time.

I eventually made my own diapers as well. I made cloth diapers with wool pants. Wool works well- it not only sucks up liquid and sloughs water, I used old wool sweaters- so free. But the best part was it didn't leak and was easy to use. I changed my daughter and son often and it was easy to remove. I also made diapers with- I think it was pvc inside- and with fleece with a waterproof barrier. I used the stuff windbreakers are made with- I had extra from sewing an outdoor blanket. The last worked great, but it was over kill and if I hadn't had extra from a blanket I made, it would have been too expensive material wise. But it was very durable.

I hope this helps.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    I love cloth diapers! I do admittedly use a mix of both (sometimes I find that disposables can be easier on the go), but I love that I'm not spending a ton on disposables all the time -- and not to mention that cloth diapers have such cute patterns, too.

I didn't fork out for the super expensive ones, my stash is mainly made up of Kawaii Baby and Alva Diapers. They've worked just fine for my little one, so that's an added bonus too!

4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think that in a survival situation it is not going to be easy to get disposable diapers. Cloth diapers are probably going to be the thing to use in that situation. It's what our parents used and we will likely have to use them as well in a survival situaion.

5. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I am here to learn before my time. I am not married yet and don't have children now. I am looking up to it though, I like children so much. Their innocence and beauty is something I cherish, though I've the troublesome lols. Back to the question., I have seen aunts using cloth diapers though I haven't ask the benefits over the other form.

6. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I like this thread and my point here is personally I'm not a fan of cloth diapers it's time consuming when it comes to cleaning them and ironing them for its hygiene imagine if the baby poop like three time a day uuh no I prefer paper diapers but it is good to have cloth diaper because you never know as you said you might need them in crisis, plus it's also good to make the baby used to both that way when it's necessary to change from one to another it won't cause him allergies.

7. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. Especially in a SHTF situation, the white-supersoft-extra fluffy cloth diaper might be out of the picture. It's a crisis situation and any relativity clean cloth is a potential make -shift diaper cloth.

The challenge would be to ensure the cloth is at least clean and you know to tie, with or without a booby pin.

8. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    We had our first child few weeks ago. Our elders suggested us to use cloth diapers, we call it nappies. Currently we use cloth diapers as well as store purchased diapers. We use store purchased diapers when we have to take baby out or he is not felling well or there are too many guests in the house. Other than these occasions, we always use cloth diapers. Good thing about using cloth diapers is it is cheap, does not bring rashes unlike store purchased diapers, and will lessen infection because of soiling.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Cloth diapershave be in use long before the disposable diapers were introduced. The main reason for the popularity of the of the disposable diapers, is that it eliminated the need for constant washing which was a feature that was associated with the cloth diapers. There would have to special care would have to be involved in the washing of the cloth diapers because they would be worn by babies.

10. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

11. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    My children are grown but I used them when they were babies. You help the environment, save tons of money, trips to the store and you'll have diapers in any emergency. You could wash them in a creek if you had to. Something I am planned for to get off topic just a little is saving old rags and towels, instead of throwing them away, stash them and save them for toilet paper in case of an emergency. These can also be washed.