Cobwebs for cuts

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by PracticalToby, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When I was small, my grandfather taught me that a spider's web is an excellent think to put on a cut to stop it bleeding. We were in his workshop and I cut my finger on a chisel. He reached up into a corner, pulled down a spider's web and laid it over the cut, binding it together. The bleeding stopped almost immediately and the web hardened, forming a protective, natural, plaster. We carried on working.
    Some hours later, my grandmother removed it with warm water and treated it with an antiseptic cream, but i think it would have healed perfectly well without.
    Disclaimer: Clearly this tip meant for cuts, not major trauma and is unlikely to be of use if you live in a land where there are poisonous spiders you can't identify!

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    This really does help! The material the web is made from is perfect to stop mild bleeding and a great catalyst to the healing process. My only qualm with this is how terrified I am of spiders.... I always need somebody else to get the web for me!

3. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is an amazing tip! I have never heard of this before. I am terrified of spiders, to the point where I will freeze up, so I'll have to make sure that the web is unoccupied in the event that I need this, but it will be a great thing to keep in mind in the event that I need to get a makeshift bandage on the fly.

Captain likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post PT. I did know about this but had forgotten, & I have never used this method to date. Must try & remember this just in case.
    Keith.

5. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I must admit I'd forgottten about it until recently, when I pulled out a splinter as I was working in the woodshed. It wasn't a big wound, just a (literally) bl--dy nuisance, and I'd walked into a cobweb a few minutes previously, so the memory came back!

6. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Great tip, and will truly come in handy since having a cut is common to all of us. I've never even heard of this before so this is nice to know.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I remember I once saw this method being used in a film. I think it was one of the transporter movies.