Cold Beer

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by randyt, Jul 4, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not much of a drinker and prefer cellar temp dark beer. However on a hot day a cold beer goes down pretty good.

2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I’ll be having a cold Alaskan Amber after today’s chores are done. I may have two...

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and randyt like this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A cold beer after sweating out is a fast pick up for the body . During cold weather my drinking drops to close to zero for months on end . During hot weather or when I have a physically demanding day I like to know I have that fast pick me up toward the end of the day . --- A good beer story . When in Nam , The Colonel made sure I had all the beer I wanted for free . I never drunk anything but beer for months but was always careful to only drink one down when thirsty as I never did get drunk . We were under attack on nearly a daily bases from incoming rocket fire and always wanted my reflexes in good working order . When being under attack I am not talking about a half mile off from impact , but body bouncing on the ground close . Anyway a guy in my Company got leave to go back to the States to attend a funeral . He lived in Colorado . When he came back he brought me and a few other guys back some yellow cans of Coors beer . The only brand of beer that I was aware of that we couldn't get . That guy had lugged that beer through airports and toted it from terminal to terminal half way around the planet earth then lugged it as he traveled the dusty dirt back roads to our fire base so he could give me and a few others a taste of a Coors beer . Still today it remains my favorite beer . I like to buy it in those yellow cans and remember my friend that went through that much trouble to bring me a Coors Beer .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just to perhaps help some of our members from having to insert a capitor into them-selves several times a day an wear a pee bag for the rest of their lives . My research points to drinking some beer occasionally to flush out the bladder . Exercise that muscle that you use when you stop urinating mid stream . I am thinking splitting firewood would exercise the targeted muscle . I am reading folks that have spent their lives not being very physically active are more prone to end up wearing a bag of pee. I know of someone that has recently found themselves with that future . Thus I decided to research this . I am sure other members on here know much more about this than I . Drinking beer is mostly my assumption because I did " not " read this but , did read where drinking liquids help and I certainly know how beer stimulates the bladder . To me this gives the choice to drink beer over hard liqueur . This reminds me of something that was written over two thousand years ago and placed in the bible " drink a little wine for thy stomachs sake " .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    randyt, Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I do love cold beer.

randyt, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    free beer is tasty as well. I prefer PBR

Speaking of beer, I've been reading about gruit. Gruit is a beer made without hops. There is a beer made from yarrow. I might try making it just so I can try it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Is the beer that " shakeys pizza " used to serve available anywhere ? That was one good beer . --- I once went to the only store within 10 miles of me " a liquor store " with a sign on the front door that reads no shirt , no shoes , NO CLOTHES , no problem . And they mean it . Anyway once I was there looking at the beer selection for an unusual long time " I did have my clothes on " when the owner walked up to me and said the best beer I ever drunk was the beer from " shakeys pizza " but I have never been able to find it since the pizza chain went out of business. I was a bit shocked because that was exactly what I was trying to find but hadn't said a word to anyone . I too consider it the best beer I have ever drunk . Any way that was one hellova phycic reading on the store owners part .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    True, one must keep up their glomerular filtration rate. Hypovolemia is very bad for the kidneys.

However, let's face it man, you're just looking for an excuse to knock back some suds! Ha ha ha ha ha ! ;)

Watch out on using alcoholic drinks to "stimulate" the kidneys. ETOH can easily cause dehydration, which is uber bad for your kidneys.

https://www.drinkhydrant.com/blogs/news/does-alcohol-dehydrate-you

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gatorade will not cure a hangover.

BEFORE drinking, it may help -- and we are talking here about one very large maybe. Replacement fluids MUST have their electrolytes. Good to add a multivitamin with emphasis on B-vitamin group. Never imagine that these things will protect you from alcohol abuse!

Metabolizing ETOH destroys your B vitamins -- it will also block the absorption of specific B vitamins.

"Hey, hang a banana bag on that drunk over there!"

https://www.aliem.com/mythbusting-banana-bag/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My beer of choice is Shiner Bock both ice cold or room temperature or Carta Blanca nearly frozen. If I am being cheap I will drink Miller Highlife. I can't stomach Bud or any of the other or any of the light domestic beers. I used to like Schlitz Malt liquor "The Bull" I'm too old to get that kind of drunk now. The hangovers were awful.

I stopped drinking when I was 27 and then started again when I was about 47. When my daughter was grown and moved out we started partying, happy that we no longer had to set a good example for our kid.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think I sent a response to you one time about how I've found Shiner Bock to be a good beer. Got four in the fridge right now. I think the count will be three tomorrow morning!

Thanx for the reminder! (Sometimes I let beer sit in the fridge too long. Takes up space. Must drink, it's the responsible thing to do.)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Shiner is brewed in Shiner Texas. You can get Shiner Bock here in the HEB Grocery store on draft!! Our HEB has a BBQ and beer cafe near the front door. Tuesday is dollar beer day I love to go with the wife to the grocery store on Tuesdays. Schiltz used to make a good draft Bock beer that was sold in the pizza joint here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

Wow, neat. I'm no beer fan, but some are just darned good. Only a few hit my palate just right. I like German beers (only a handful; I like one out of Russia, St. Petersburg, Baltika #8 it's a Hefeweizen; I like the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier aus Deutchland). Like the Newcastle brown ale out of England -- sort'a easy to get that. Even though I can be one picky S.O.B., the Shiner Bock is just the ticket and it's everywhere here. To get German (and sometimes Russian) beers, I have to drive 30 miles. Again, can get Shiner Bock at the grocery. I have no idea why it took me so late in life to find this delight -- my loss.

Just got that S.Bock out the fridge, popped a tin of sausages, and a pack of crackers. This is making me feel better right now. My biological clock likes 2nd shift. A thousand years ago, I worked second shift in an electronics factory -- loved it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love German sausage with crackers and a Shiner Bock you are making my mouth water. I am a little leary of drinking now. I don't know what my shortened and much-abused intestines would think of a couple or six beers. Another thing that is GREAT with beer is Cajun Boudin on crackers with a dash of hot sauce.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      If it bothers you in quantity, don't drink that much beer. Last time I knocked back that much beer was when I was in high school (went through more joints than bottles of beer). I am now going to go look up Cajun Boudin. I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about Cajun culture. If I were in a really good mood, I could tolerate Zydeco music. I've been given to understand that Cajun music is different. I don't like the sound of an accordion -- seems a bit dissonant / or something.

Old Geezer, Jul 20, 2020
  15. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I still remain loyal to the local boys. Even though we no longer own it, Anheuser-Busch products will always be my favorite.

Drinking 80 ounces of water in a day seems impossible, but six beers and six shots in two hours goes down like a fat kid on a seesaw.

TMT Tactical, randyt and Alaskajohn like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Fluid intake includes the water content in food -- not drinking that much on top of the food one eats. Six beers and six shots would put me in the hospital. Two drinks a day = my usual max. Maybe three on Friday or a Saturday evening. I never toss one back until after supper. Daytime its orange juice and iced tea.

Old Geezer, Jul 20, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
    2. Old Geezer
      Oh forgot. "I still remain loyal to the local boys." Shiner Bock is brewed in Texas. Texas used to be my favorite state. As for country folk, it still is. The Texas cities have now become occupied territories, i.e. not-Texas. Been down there throughout the past four decades (business plus brother & sister in-law; wife-to-be lived in Texas a few years). The changes I've witnessed are horrific. Countryside not unlike country Tennessee. I hope the true Texans drive-away the useless.

Old Geezer, Jul 20, 2020
      TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are so right about the big cities being occupied territory. Houston is a liberal stronghold now. San Antonio is more Mexican than Texan. that is I part because our immigration laws are ignorant. We need workers and since Texas doesn't roll out the red(free goodies)carpet to illegal visitors the ones that we have here are workers and danm good workers at that. I say that and I am a Texican. When my family came to Texas it was a Mexican Territory and they lived under Mexican rule for almost two generations. Dallas is sliding fast. Only Fort Worth is holding strong. Part of the problem is white flight. As the Blacks and Hispanics moved into the big cities the working-class whites moved to the surrounding suburban towns. The city that I was raised in of a little city of over a hundred thousand is in the end stage of this and is now little more than a ghetto. they have bankrupted the city and the school district is bankrupt. Best of all it was rated the city with the highest violent crime rate in Texas per capita last year.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is all, of course, like having a rock sat on your chest. Going back to my home town is not as bad as what you have to experience, however I don't recognize the place as the home I knew. Sad. It's become a medical/medical-education hub and thus has drawn-in folk from not just this nation, but the whole dang planet. I guess if you have a bunch of medical conditions, its Nirvana.

The population growth there is mind-numbing.

TMT Tactical likes this.