Concealing You Are A Prepper

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by poltiregist, Apr 15, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    There's not many like you left in the world F22, especially now. Great clip, too!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not loan either money or tools, learned by personal experience in the past.
    money loaned to a close friend was never repaid and tools lent were broken and never replaced.

TMT Tactical and Skywalker like this.
    1. Blitz
      Crikey lonewolf. I hope you've sourced better friends!

Blitz, May 5, 2020
      lonewolf likes this.
  3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    The next time someone asks to borrow money from me:

Fuggetaboutit!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    been hiding from my neighbors for YEARS now i doubt anyone knows. i shop in small amounts, no garden, no livestock
    i keep everyone in my crime filled neighborhood at arms length....could be wrong though...

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh dear, oh dear!! sounds like you picked the wrong place to be a prepper!!:rolleyes:

TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nobody here knows I am a prepper, house is well set back from the road and we have off street parking, I do shopping during the week days when most people are at work and the place is quiet. we do not have visitors without an appointment and very few of even those.

TMT Tactical and Skywalker like this.
  7. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    it wasn't always like this it has changed dramatically in the last 10 years though....

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no agreed, I lived in a suburb twenty years ago that was quiet and peaceful and was like a small village, now its full of migrants and crime is rife and you have to keep your doors locked at all times. glad I moved out.

wally likes this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My son and his female refugee from Texas went four wheeler riding down some reasonably close but for us unexplored mountainous , dirt roads yesterday . There they had to outrun one attacking dog and found what was likely some very serious preppers . One occupant living in a small camper with a large transmitting tower sitting by his adobe . Perhaps WatcherChris has an idea on the significance of this . Small wooden shack at another spot with solar panels and large garden . My son instantly knew he had likely found some other preppers . Most people in this area prepare . It is mostly the question as to what degree do they prepare ?

TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    over here such people would be reported to the authorities by anyone living nearby as it is certain they had no planning permission to live there-even if they own the land.
    we have had many cases of this over here and usually it dosent end well.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I thought of this post of yours yesterday lol when I had this exact situation. I had some lumber delivered and the driver remarked "you sure do have a lot of raised beds" I claimed that I just really like gardening to which he replied "you like it more than anyone I have ever seen". I laughed it off but I hate drawing even the smallest amount of notice.

1. TMT Tactical
      In future reply you have a very "Black thumb" so need more space to bury the dead plants.

TMT Tactical, May 15, 2020
      Rebecca likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Once I had to go to a friend's house and lean on him to pay me back ($500 U.S. in the late 1980s). Talk about awkward!

Got my money. After that, I'd not front him for a lunch.

Let'em go to the goodfellows.

Friend of mine's dad when young was not big at all, welterweight. Worked for a guy. Had to collect from an old man.

"Hey those are really nice teeth you have!"

"Just bought'em."

"Let me see them."

"What?!"

"Take'm out, I wanna see'm."

The old man takes them out and hands them to him."

"Tell you what, you pay mister ______ what you owe him and you get your teeth back."

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When someone gets nosy like that, memorize their face. Set a flag in your head for that mug. Look at their hands. Is the person a worker? If you shake hands, feel for calluses or the lack thereof. Human faces aren't one face. Divide the human face. If you look at just left face, you will see one emotion, one person. Compare left face with right face; uh-oh, Mr. Right face could be someone else. Top vs bottom of the face; the mouth could be smiling, yet the eyes reveal aggression. It is so easy to smile. Yet another reason to look someone in the eyes.

And some people are just idiots and ask too many questions. Never ask too many questions. I've been Joe Schmo talking to some creature with a skull full of broken glass. I let not one of my internal evaluations of this mutant, any mutant, show in my face -- you must monitor what your own face is transmitting to the outside world. There could be all manner of messed-up sh## going on behind psych boy, but you must assiduously ignore whatever family freak show events that are playing out. Not your business, certainly not now.

Rebecca, glad to hear that you have too much gardening going on. Good stuff. Many times it's those soldiers who have marched to a different drummer who survive the war and end up bouncing their great grandchildren on their knee.

14. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Really good advice there thank you.

I fully admit I am perhaps too paranoid. But better careful than dead.
    Having just re read that now I sound paranoid and melodramatic. Oh well :rolleyes:

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      A wise person is not concerned about allowing a bit of concern to play into the mathematics of life's conundrum resolutions. However, only in prison is paranoia deemed permissible. Even when given permission to be there, strangers who are on our property warrant your going code Yellow; this is a good thing. In life, perpetually staying in code White will inevitably get you hurt.

https://www.policeone.com/police-tr...m-for-situational-awareness-Np1Ni2TbRj9EkGUN/

Old Geezer, May 15, 2020
      Rebecca likes this.
  15. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Put nice white crosses at the head of each bed.......Anyone said something, say.......Hmmm......"Well, my husband's got a thing about trespassers".

Old Geezer, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      While pointing, "We put the burglars in that bed over there. The nosy people go in the rather large bed near the tree line. The ..."

Old Geezer, May 15, 2020
      TMT Tactical, Rebecca and Sourdough like this.
  16. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I like the cross idea, but add a sign. "All illegal pickers are buried here." :D

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prefer the " Trespassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again" type of sign.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:

19. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    You have 3 options...Desert,the poles and the ocean. The colder the better. Every year experienced go to northern Canada or Alaska never to be seen again. People and machines vanish without a trace. Crazy a best most days for a helicopter. Desile,the wax freezes, Blocks freeze,brakes freeze, tires freeze in the ice.Mother nature is your first line of defense. In warfare you use the surroundings. Prepers...hmmm its a way of living, like farming. Its a daily life style. Real prepping is what you have its what you know. The RAMBO idea. You can never have everything and you can loose everything. ASK any war vet. In a crunch its your skills that save you not your stock pile. Things own you! the more things you have the more they hold you back and limit you. Do more with less. The difference between prepping and being a survivalist. Take 50 lb. go for 2 weeks. then you have an idea. Go for a month and you understand. Do it for 3 months in the dead of winter ....now your ready. Sadly your family is the weakest link. Take a vacation to the north and live with the Inuit for 2 weeks and learn from them. Everything you need on one sled and 7 dogs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Overwatch

Overwatch Expert Member
      185/230

Blog Posts:
    Na dont worry about being shot.... I will eat you. Didnt you know people tast like pig. If that scares you ...imagine what it will do to them

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if cannibalism is the only option then people have failed to plan.
    failing to plan is planning to fail.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Occasionally we invite someone or small group to visit and perhaps stay overnight at our survival retreat . The usual reaction is total flabbergasted . A lot of pictures taken and posted on social media . In some cases the guest don't even realize they have entered a survival retreat . This past week end an out of state couple was allowed to come in and spend the night in a camper . They thought they were in some kind of private couples retreat . That is what I was told was posted all over social media along with lots of pictures . I don't visit social media , I know way too many people that would jump at the chance and visit me . That is one reason I try to disappear from my former life .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      The first thing that came to mind --- OPSEC---. if these people have a social media presence, they are probably not the kind of folks you are looking for. JM2C

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
      TMT Tactical, Jul 7, 2020
  23. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Poltiregist: IMHO that is the unwanted consequence of inviting strangers to your location. You can ask them not to take pictures, but I think you would have a difficult time stopping people from posting on Social Media. Best not to invite them in the first place.

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  24. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

Not sure how the thread is drifting from A to B.

Sometimes, depending on the usual aspects, eg type of location, type of jurisdiction, hiding one's Preppership is, in effect, announcing it.

Here ,if no access for the volunteer fire and rescue crews or Sheriff's Office patrol cars, ... might as well pop off flares and fog horns.

In some areas, there are neighborhood watch programs with reporting systems.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Were you inviting those people in the hope of "recruiting" them? If so how does it goes?

As for their social media posting, I won't worry so much if I were you. Unless those who took the pictures and posting it have serious ill intend toward you. Although next time you might wanna remind your guest not to take any picture without your direct consent.

26. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    These folks we would not want as members of our group . Actually all I consider part of the group are all relatives . We all live on the same tract of land . This was just one of our group members reaching out to try to help someone with marital problems .

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  27. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    No good deed goes unpunished. I hope it all works out for the best.

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm an anti social recluse so wont be inviting anyone here and unannounced visitors are positively discouraged.

29. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The topic of survival groups has bleed into another thread and seems to have generated interest so I went back and dug this thread back up . -- I consider hiding the fact that you are a prepper is a wise and good tactic . However in my case that is nearly impossible . For one reason I raised two teen age boys at this survival retreat and this place was a magnet for teens from all around the county . Piles of teens sleeping over " both boys and girls " at our survival retreat used to be common place . Sometimes 10 to 20 kids might sleep over . Those kids have now grown up into adults , except one 16 year old that died one night on one of those sleep overs . That death will haunt this community for our lifetimes . --- Another reason hiding my prepper activeites is next to impossible , though we are in a very rural area , anyone riding down our dirt county road can easily see at a glance the prepper activety that has been established here . --- We go way beyond just storing up extra supplies .

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the only people that know I am a prepper-apart from members of this forum- are about 2 family members who arent interested in the subject one little bit.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  31. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Poltiregist, When you can't hide the fact you are prepper, then you have to make it known that you are more than able and willing to eliminate any troublesome folks that may come your way in the future. Preppers have only two options in my humble opinion --- conceal (grey man) or be too intimidating a target. Either avoid being a person of interest OR be the biggest, badazz in the area. You don't hunt the lion, if there are sheep to eat. Badazz or wolf in sheep's clothing.

Rebecca and DirtDiva like this.
  32. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree . We don't try to be a-- holes , very much the opposite . But anyone that knows this bunch wouldn't likely want to take us on unless they had a army .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not many that live around me know the extent of my preparations but they do know that I shoot a lot and we get along fine. Signs that say trespassers will be shot and survivors will be shot again make the point pretty well. If things go to total collapse they will probably learn fast that we are crazy mean. if you raid, attack, or steal from me I will kill you. Life in Texas is going to get rough for the criminal element when justice is what you get when you get caught. No arrest and a soft cot in a heated and airconditioned jail, just a shallow grave if you are lucky.

wally, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  34. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Tactic 1- Hide in plain site like a hidden message in stenography.

Tactic 2- Deny its intent with a cover story.

This tactic was used to raise a Russian submarine by the CIA thanks to Howard Hughes...

TMT Tactical likes this.