Container Home Now Available From Amazon

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by LastOutlaw, Aug 10, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  2. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For forty thousand dollars you can do a lot better than that in Texas. I have built houses so could do a lot better building it myself. I used to work for a guy that made some very nice rental homes for students out of 12 X 24 portable buildings. They were nice and cost under 15 thousand.

TMT Tactical and LastOutlaw like this.
  4. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Last Outlaw and TexDan,

The BASIC issue is not cost, type, size, habitability, and the related.

Our nation has a real estate lobby that keeps high quality small and (to borrow an expression I really don't like) "affordable" housing OFF the market.

Container homes are common enough in Asia. They are also A+ offices combined with a place to sleep. I know.

For those interested in this political matter, don't neglect the mortgage rackets.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  6. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been trying to figure out what I could do for a house and land. I think that a container home is not what I want.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of people in SE Oklahoma and SW Arkansas who are living on very affordable land ($1000 to $2000 per acre) and very small homes usually made from storage sheds. Many are off grid but many are not. Areas that have little or no building codes are usually the areas you will find these small home made houses in. There also are a lot of people who live full time in RV campers.

1. Radar
      But I'm still wanting to live where it's cooler.

Radar, Aug 13, 2019
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The little town that I live near has a population of about 500 permanent residents. It also has probably 150 or more part-time residents that live in travel trailers. This part of Texas is a very popular place for "Snow Birds". that is what we call people from up north that come here for the winter. We also have a bunch more that just have winter homes here that split their year between two homes. When you get older you appreciate a place that has no snow and where freezing cold is around 45 degrees.

The RVs are also very popular for college students here. The parents can buy one send their kiddo off to college and then recover that money when they are done. There are all sorts of small housing here for the college kids. There is an apartment building that is 4 stories tall that is made totally from stacked cargo containers. There are little A-frame houses and several different types of small 250 to 300 sq ft places made from portable buildings or just small frame houses that are basically 25' X 25' with a wall in the middle making it a duplex.

And then we have the less traditionally shaped homes built out of total reclaimed wood and materials...

209ec24f86147dcf12136864cf9a231d.jpeg 209ec24f86147dcf12136864cf9a231d.jpeg
    TtiqkuI8sAsXH32ijt5_CegROt1UrXUU.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    That kind of money for a container home seems crazy to me. I see no mention of insulation or R-values and that second one he posted is smaller than a container since it says the unit ships inside a container.

Like LastOutlaw mentioned, taking the shell of a storage shed that you can get for 1800 to 5K depending on size is becoming very common. They are already dried in so a person just needs to insulate, add utilities if desired, and throw up some interior walls and finish it off.For 25-40K I'm thinking you could build a small compound full of these where you have a main living unit with kitchen, bath & living area and then could have separate units to be used as bedrooms.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  10. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If/when I build an offgrid home, I will probably go the earth bag route.

11. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    The earth bags look cool. On YouTube there is a family out in AZ or NM that have built several of them and they came out looking awesome but there is definitely a load of work to them. I'm thinking they likely would Not hold up well anywhere with cold winters and hard freezes.

I think if going off grid and trying to build the most efficient that would also be easily saleable if one had to liquidate at some point would be a timber frame with SIP panels for the walls and roof. Dome structures are cool but I'm told about impossible to try and get a mortgage since the banks don't know how to configure comps for them.