Cooking After Teotwawki

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by TexDanm, Sep 8, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen something growing that looks like Corn but wife, who has farming experience, says its Maize and its probably for animal feed, as far as I know no Rice is grown in the UK its imported from abroad.
    my location is mostly a stock rearing area, Sheep, Cattle and Pigs, the main crop is grass for animal feed either direct or to make Hay and Silage.
    there is some grain grown, there are grain silos about 7 miles from me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Maise is quite eatable. It is just that it was not bred to be used as a human food crop. That means that it is probably not as high in the things we need as our crop plants and not as prolific.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  3. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Stew in UK beef stew and dumplings, Italy Spezzatino di manzo , France daube de boeuf, Spain carne guisada, India Cury, China something Tung (can't remember)...every country has them. Little local Spanish bar on Wednesday lunchtime soak dried white beans in ham stock overnight and cook, drain, add shredded ham, drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of herbs and a chunk of fresh bread, with a cold beer €5 about five dollars; simple, lovely stewed lunch.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Did a little research and evedently maise is the same as corn. To me maise was usually the term used for field corn that was going to be used for animal food. Maise would be dried and hard where the corn that we ate was not that ripe and hard. ???? Live and learn...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back to cooking after the fall. I would guess that one of the changes would be that you wouldn't be frying much. Also meat will be a kill it and eat it that day sort of thing. We will probably also be eating smaller animals. I will probably be boiling a lot of things except when there is a lot available to eat. Cooking something in a pot rliminates losing any of the fat content. When there is plenty the grill will be a big thing.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I too figure boiling food would be more used after teotwawki . One of the first things I did when I built my present home was to also build an outside cook house and install a wood cook stove with 4 eyes and a oven . I didn't want to smoke up new home's cedar board walls and ceiling . By my outside wood cook stove is a stack of wood ready for when SHTF . Also I went to a private dealer and told him I wanted to buy a simple propane stove that had no electronics . Always the prepper , I didn't want anything on that propane stove that needed electricity . He had just what I was looking for . That went inside my house . Just a couple of weeks ago I topped off my propane tank . That should hold me on propane for about 2 years . After that the wood outside stove is the plan .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    post teotwawki hunting will be small animal kills, nothing too large, a deer would be too much meat for just a couple of people, the meat would spoil before we could use it all, so we will be relying on small animals and poultry/fowl and probably consumed that day, 1 pot cooking, any meat left over could be canned/bottled for future use.

TMT Tactical likes this.