County, Red Cross, Prepare Shelter

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 27, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.postandcourier.com/news...cle_d7d0e816-7354-11e9-9b6e-0fd55c1d84be.html

This article tells of a South Carolina area preparing for the next hurricane evacuation to an emergency shelter.

Article mentions the complaint about low-quality food.

How much time is needed for an evacuation ? My broader question is why is anyone living in an area requiring relocation during emergencies? Anticipate major changes from national level in the works.

Even a public school bus with evacuees can get stuck on a public road - and cause the ripple effect traffic snarls.

Now the bad news: Concentrating a large group of homeless and public housing evacuees plots out to the record of more disease, from infections to physical injuries.

Note the article's lack of mentioning the shelter has no real viable medical clinic. This really is quality reporting.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a major evacuation main highways will quickly turn into parking lots.
    concentrating evacuees into a "rescue centre" will give easy access to germs and disease.
    the toilet areas are usually not sufficient for the number using them and portable toilets are harbourers of disease and usually not cleaned-enough or at all!!

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's an idea. Don't live there.

"Hey honey, I just got a big promotion! The job is in New Madrid, Missouri."

W4oGgrniQOagx4JPQpQ-V5IPltQC4xeI.jpeg

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That map looks very similar to the maps that show liberal versus conservative voters in the last several elections!

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    That is why I am looking at the Ozarks and/or the Ouachita mountains. Far from most libtards and safely away from the New Madrid fault line

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Honestly living on the Gulf Coast, before they had the long-range weather forecasting that they have now, must have been a living hell. For half of the year, you never knew if that cloud that was coming in was a thunderstorm or a hurricane of lethal proportions!

The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 is still one of the biggest and deadliest disasters in American History. It swept the island clean and the death count was between 6,000 and 12,000 the Government set it at at least 8,000 but there just wasn't any way to know for sure.

Earthquakes are killers but in most cases, in the US the deaths are almost as much from the fires that result from them as from directly killed by the quake shaking the buildings down. Even in the 1800s we didn't just stack blocks on top of each other to build our buildings as they do in Haiti for example. Earthquakes in rural places aren't as bad as they are when they hit the BIG cities. When you are more than 20 miles from a two-story building you only have to get out of your house and rock the ride. The New Madrid earthquake wasn't a very big killer. They say that a repeat of it now though would kill over 3,000 and injure over 80,000.

Big urban return any disaster into a mega killer. Earthquakes, Tornados, Hurricanes, and Floods are much more dangerous in cities because there are so many more people and buildings to fall, burn, blow away or flood.

One of the problems that I have seen with government plans is that their procedure for making a decision and gathering information is so laborious and slow that often by the time they make a decision it is no longer based on current realities.

We had a local example of that here a few years ago. They suddenly, as far as telling us, decided that they wanted to build a giant overpass in the middle of our little crossroad town. It would have almost destroyed the town in the construction. They, fortunately, had meetings about it and it came to be known how they made this decision.

Basically, they gathered statistics that indicated that this intersection of two fairly busy two-lane state highways with only a stop sign on the one crossroad was a high-risk intersection with more fatal accidents than any other in the county. This was true...10 years ago before they turned the two-lane highway into a 4 lane divided highway and put up a stop light at that intersection.

Since that time it had become a non-issue. We raised enough hell that they decided not to destroy our town for no reason so they built an overpass out in the middle of nowhere instead. The overpass they made is a monster where a going nowhere little road crosses a major highway. You know how it is, they had the money approved so they HAD to spend it somewhere.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back in the very early 1800s, the New Madrid area was not populated to much of any extent. The humans inhabiting were nomadic, the American Indians, and the Europeans who stayed there built wooden frame structures which were not huge at all, cabins, Mississippi ports, small warehouses maybe, small forts, and barns. Large masonry structures were few and far between.

The worst structure in a earthquake is a 6 to 8 story rectangular building built with masonry. So what happens is that these structures crumble due to their having a resonant frequency near that of the ground oscillations (and harmonics above) generated by the earthquake. The frequency synchronicity amplifies the structural stresses -- imagine a whip effect. Guess what kind of buildings fit the above description. Yep, hospitals, large apartment buildings and business offices. Uh oh!

When the next uber-quake hits this New Madrid area, multiply 3K people killed by 100. It will be hell on Earth. Structures will collapse up to St. Louis, down to Memphis, and back east to Evansville, Illinois. Government offices, state and federal, massively under-ball their estimates of damage and loss of life. "Don't panic the sheeple," and all that.

Photographs taken during the San Fransisco big quake were immediately doctored to make it look like fire did the most damage. Why? These owners had fire insurance, not earthquake insurance. A mega-quake was a new phenomenon in America. The businesses back east would not have invested in rebuilding had they known the real risks of building near the previously unknown seismically active regions on the Pacific Coast.

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Sourdough like this.
  8. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am just a few months shy of 50 years living with earthquakes and volcanos here in coastal Alaska. This last one November 30, 2018 was not fun. I was honestly afraid. You get a clear education about who is the "Boss".

It will go on and on and on and on as long as it feels like going on and on. And it will be as violent as it damn well pleases, and there is zero you can do about it. It is a lot like being a passenger in an aircraft, with extremely violent turbulence.

We Alaskans are not the least little bit prepared for a serious volcanic eruption. And (6') Six feet of heavy ash crushing everything. I think 1908 was the last massive volcano in this area. We have little eruptions that last a few days or even a week.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That's not a realistic idea.

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    While the New Madrid Fault is nothing to be scoffed at or ignored, I don't think it will be hell on earth. Here is a link from the horse's mouth. Damage in St Louis and Memphis would be significant. All of the maps I have seen show the same thing. Damage radiates north and east from the Missouri boot heel; a little bit to the South. It does not go west. So, SOL, Lake of the Ozarks could be a good spot for you. The big ones that hit here in the early 1800's were 7.5 - 8.2. Scientists here think the probability of that happening again are in the 10% range.

https://dnr.mo.gov/geology/geosrv/geores/techbulletin1.htm

Pragmatist: You bring up a good point. Something that needs to be addressed at the state and local level. Why do people live there? We had people here who were making a living on FEMA money. Every time their property was flooded they collected another check. If the area floods excessively it should be condemned. Nobody can live there because it is unsafe.

I may be reading more into the article than is there, but I saw people showing up for a handout, expecting to be taken care of. They didn't bring what they were told to bring. Seemed like an awful lot of looking a gift horse in the mouth. I am feeding you because you have nothing, and you complain about the food. Seriously?!

I am not downplaying the seriousness of a Hurricane, but you do have some warning. Unlike a tornado or earthquake that can hit in a heartbeat. If people knew where to evacuate they should have had time to collect some things to see them through.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  11. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    But then there is Yellowstone, and tornadoes. I am liking the connecting areas around W.Va., Va., Kentucky, Tenn., and N.C. and probably in the eastern top part of the Appalachian Mts. What do you think of this area.

12. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    IMO, YMMV, Virginia taxes like the north but pays like the south. To a lesser degree, the same is true of NC. I like WV, but it is entirely too close to DC for my liking. My best friend lives in KY, I have considered it. Same with TN. Of the areas listed, southern WV and eastern TN both could be on my list, though they are pretty far down.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  13. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We had a forum member (not this forum) who lived in West Virginia. He was very much off-grid, and he loved the area. He was pretty remote, and enjoyed the solitude. His area did get quite cold. My experience with Kentucky and Tennessee have been in urban areas. I did have an opportunity to do a little traveling by boat down the Tennessee River, and IMHO it is the prettiest state in the union. I could be very happy in Tennessee. No experience with North Carolina, so no help there. There is a website called NUMBEO. Her is a link: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
    See what is important to you, and compare areas. This is a marvelous country. I'm quite sue you can find a place where you will be happy.

14. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    All of my experience in Tennessee has been in eastern Tennessee. I would put it pretty high on my list.

15. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Sonofliberty and Morgan 101

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My roots plus I myself are from the areas of E.Tenn & W. NorthCarolina. Tenn has no income tax. Real estate is cheap vs. other areas of the country. The people are nice so long as you mind your own business. If you have similar values to them and act friendly, they will accept you up front, but will watch you for a long time. Unfortunately, you will always have the "He ain't from here, but he's good people" hung around your neck. Attempt to impose yourself and that will get you painted "enemy" and things could go bad. Yes, I'm talking rural folk.

You will hear that there are areas in Southern Appalachia where the locals can be "different". True. I'm from there, however there are places (small towns and hollars) I avoid. Let's cut to the chase, MY people could get "different". Where I had blood relatives, there I could go. However my total ease in going back up in my mom's hollar would have been an utter error for somebody else to assume. I was kin. I was known. In these modern days, it could be WORSE. Why? The drug trade. There are some really mean people in there. We're talking Scots and Cherokee blood, OK.

The Romans lost an entire legion in the Scottish Highlands. They went in and they didn't come out. The Romans built Hadrian's Wall "just in case". The hyper-violent Romans considered the Scots (Picts) "barbarians". Fast-forward over a thousand years and you get your "Over-Mountain Men"; King's Mountain was a slaughter ... then the hillbillies tracked down the loyalists in their retreat. Not pretty. I've seen bat-sh## crazy in action.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    OG,

Does the mentioned "drug trade" have a specific relationship to southern Appalachia ? Major metro-areas are experiencing similar matters.

Virginia's section of Appalachia is currently undergoing rehab. Will be "out there" in a couple of weeks helping out re some volunteer work.

I have a hunch that I-81 in Virginia will become a toll road.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Everybody has heard of Hillbilly Heroin. Oxy

TMT Tactical likes this.