Couponing

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by chelsknits, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Recently, we ended up in a situation where we don't have nearly as much money to spend on groceries as we used to have. I had always been a fan of the show Extreme Couponers and I follow several couponers on Twitter so I decided now was a better time than any to give it a try. I've been able to save a lot of money doing this and it's helped us pay less for groceries than we were paying in the first place while still getting all of the things that we need. I'm still working on catching deals where I can get things free though. I've caught a few (deodorant, soda, and shampoo) and too the chance to buy multiples of that item but since I don't have a ton of coupons, I was only able to get four or five of them. But it saves me money on things I would have had to buy anyways!

Do any of you use coupons?

2. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Good on ya! :)
    I've always been intrigued by coupons. I mean, how does the company make money on people using coupons? Are their mark-ups really that large to begin with?

I've tried to find some. It sucks though, coupons aren't exactly a thing in Australia.
    Especially not for essential retail (groceries and such.)

3. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    if you read the coupon fine print, the company (manufacturer) reimburses the store for the amount discounted. Now here's where the trap is, some stores like to raise and lower prices. So coupons work - if you know the store's average prices for items. I personally do not use them but I have friends who have developed addictions to using them, and not in a positive way. They post their "finds" on social media bragging about being able to buy 12 shampoo bottles at a reduces price. Yeah that's cool if you are stocking up for prep, but these women.... are far from preppers and more consumers...

4. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Ah, so it's similar to catalogue specials in Australia. Got it.
    Maybe that's why couponing just isn't a thing people here do.

Meh, if it's a brand you usually buy, legitimate savings and non-perishable (even if you're not a prepper) bulk buying can certainly be an effective means. Shampoo for instance, so long as it's not a more expensive brand I can justify it.