Covering Your Smell and Tracks

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-25_3-19-55.png

When in the wilderness and survival is your number one priority you need to cover your tracks and the smell that you leave behind. There are a few methods that you can use to trick and put dead ends to the pheromones animals pick up. When being hunted by a search party or being followed by a single person, there are simple ways to throw off any skilled trackers. Cover your shoes in mud or simply tie leaves to the bottom of your soles to distort the shape of your footprint. If you want to lead the tracker in a different direction, purposely break branches and step on twigs to look like you are running carelessly and disturbing your surroundings. Then backtrack the other way and be careful not to disturb any of your surroundings and cover your footprints. If you find a place to hide when the tracker is going the other way eventually he or they will give up or start looking somewhere else. If you are being followed by a dog, then the problem sounds a little more serious. This is because animals rely on a heightened sense of smell simply breaking twigs and not disturbing earth in a different direction will most likely not work at all. So in this case, you will need to cover yourself with spices or something that smells terrible such as feces or fish guts. If you are not willing to smear yourself with nature's Cologne then walking through a river or swimming downstream will intercept the smell and wash it away.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Best method is to walk casually but carefully
    Do not work up a sweat or heavy breathing
    If it is cold strip down a bit so you are cool, a cool body gives off much less scent!
    if you are in your regular area consider setting up a flying fox if you can, a rope 5-8m up a tree and a silent 30-50m glide along a rope/wire
    will completely throw most trackers!
    even a few tarzen type ropes to break your ground scent can help.
    Once a dog loses your scent the handler will make ever increasing circles around your last scent, the further you make that
    gap the longer it will take for them to resume tracking, even a few short quick flying fox lines will greatly delay them!
    IN urban areas do not forget to use elevation as a tool
    a quick rope decent off a overpass/bridge etc where a dog can not follow will buy you time!
    Even down a few floors of a apartment building outside on a rope so long as it is quick will stuff up dogs!
    So a length of rope and how to use it will give you an edge!

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Best cover for smell while hunting is pure vanilla extract have used this for years it works

4. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Best cover for smell while hunting is pure vanilla extract have used this for years it works

Mates dog will track the vanilla scent! most dogs probably would do as well!

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    While hunting. When and if they hunt me i will stand my ground

6. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    While hunting. When and if they hunt me i will stand my ground

Yes but I will choose the ground:D

7. Tom Williams