Covering Your Smell and Tracks

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if the authorities here want to find anyone they use helicopters and thermal imaging, they are just starting to use drones.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I got myself on a list for a bloodhound puppy today . Am expecting the pup this fall and will be training next winter . Around here looters will soon be the hunted .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just remember, the looters can and will shoot your bloodhounds. I like the idea of using bloodhounds for search and rescue. Then the hunted want to be found. I really, really, don't like looters but I would never risk my dogs to track them.

poltiregist likes this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    actually the plan for the dog is more than trailing looters , can be used to trail wounded deer , one primary agenda is to train to trail bear while on a leash , having fun taking turns being the tracker and the runner and of course locating any missing people in the community .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now that plan I really like. Good hunting and keeps the dogs relatively safe. As for looter, catch them in the act and send them, via long distance, to the happy hunting grounds. No sense in polluting the dogs nose on trash aromas.

coffee likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    is it true that pepper puts a dog off a scent?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:

its all BS...if you want to learn a bunch about dogs scenting ability..especially the bloodhound read a book titled ...meet mr.grizzly by montague stevens. he was an aristocrt rancher who used bloodhounds to hunt grizzly with. he had a standing offer to anyone could out smart his dogs to find them. no one ever collected.through people trying to collect the money he found out dogs track you buy multiple ways...they can trail you from scent falling off your body..your feet never have to touch the ground.he found this out by people having horses staged at points and they changed horses thinking the dogs were tracking the horse..their feet never hit the ground in this change and the dogs circled were exchange took place with multiple people and horse and pickup the trail of the guy the were to find. guys even wore sacks soaked in kerosene...didnt work.

i have seen bears cross roads with dogs after them and the dogs would be running off body scent alone and be 50yds to the side of the bear..they were running via body scent that was drifting to the side and not from a 'foot scent' per say...the dogs had heads high in air and going full bore in pursuit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've heard of anti hunt people using pepper to put the hunt dogs off the foxes trail, didn't know if that was true. interesting reply, thanks.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  9. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that started with the movie "Cool Hand Luke".

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Please post pictures of when you try to put the leash on that bear. ;)

11. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    What about leaving small poisoned bits of meat on the trail? Or using bear spray to overwhelm their sense of smell? How about bear traps or leading the trackers on a trail with predug punji pit traps? Trip wires to set off an IED or 12? What about setting up a trail with a kill zone set up with 4 claymores daisy chained to go off when the trip wire is triggered up trail?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can understand the need to cover/not make too many tracks in a SHTF situation so not to give away your presence or location, but smell? the only reason for that is if someone were after you with dogs and there isn't much that puts a dog off the scent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Got my bloodhound puppy yesterday along with registration papers . Immediately began training . My grandson went about quarter mile thru woods and son put dog on trail . For a nine week old puppy he showed a lot of promise . Son signed up for the local search and rescue team this morning . We consider during the apocalypse period tracking down looters , muggers and general a-- hol-- being good family entertainment . We figure on dispatching and dropping them down holes .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    burn it down after it is occupied, only if they are the enemy

15. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've watched hounds on a GPS screen tracking bear. It was interesting, a good hound is going to be hard to shake

poltiregist likes this.
  16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    You can sometimes mess tracking dogs up by decoying a false trail, if you can get someone else to lay a false trail using your cut hair or well worn clothes to create a scent trail....or water (grey with dead skin cells and sweat) that you have used to scrub yourself or bath in.
    In effect you are not disguising your body odour, you are using it to let someone else to lay a false trail.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  17. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Some wonder why I am training a blood hound . Look at some of the posts on here . Many admit their plan is to loot their neighbors resources . I can only conclude their prepping is not adequate and count their neighbors resource as part of their own . My tracking hound has been trailing people and one bear. At being only a little over four months old is still easily distracted while trailing but that will change . Considering motorized vehicles may not be an option for looters . They will be on foot , This puts looters vulnerable for my group to trail down and eliminate .

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Ystranc
      Reading back through this thread from start to finish I can't see anyone admitting to planning to loot after society breaks down. I'm not saying that they won't do it, only that no one is admitting it.

Ystranc, May 16, 2019
      TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    looting is not prepping. looters are not preppers. looters will not survive.

19. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Looting is a great way of making a lot of people angry with you and that's a situation you don't want to be in if the only way of criminals being punished is hanging. I have no doubt that looting will be right up there with rape and murder as a Capitol crime.

20. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree , I don't think anyone is admitting to plan to loot on this thread . But on other threads on this forum I find people talking about their neighbors cattle and other livestock they plan to rely on for food . There have been discussions on scavenging . Someone properly prepared will not need to scavenge . It would take a lot of will power for someone with a starving family to wait until their neighbors and their neighbors rightful heirs died to start in on their neighbors stuff . Actually if the neighbor has more and better survival stuff than the person wanting to take their stuff , most likely the person less prepared will die first . I know some will get angry over my conclusion . This is probably because they fall squarely into the slot of people that I am preparing to trail down and eliminate .

GateCrasher, Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I always hate this sort of crap. Looting is when you take someone else property in some way that deprives them of their legally owned property. Scavenging is gathering discarded or abandoned things where there is no living owner or obvious owner. If I'm starving and go dumpster diving for food that is NOT looting.

In a world where over 90% of the people are DEAD and there is no ESTABLISHED and existing law or functioning government people of normal sense will understand that scavenging will be an important source of resources. If you try to live in a totally apocalyptic world and never break any of the current laws you are a dead person walking. You can't hunt, you don't know if you have the owners permission to hunt on his property. If you are in desperate need of medicines you will die because all the drug stores are closed never to be reopened and even if what you needed was there you wouldn't want to loot.

I will be right up front. If 95% of the people in the world die, once things settle down I will be by your estimation a BIG TIME LOOTER. I don't see a dead person as having much claim to things that are going to ROT if nobody finds them and puts those things to use.

You can't play poker and win using old maid rules. The post-apocalyptic world means that we will be starting all over. No laws, no rules and no certainties that things will ever return to that sort of thing in your lifetime. A lion kills to eat. He can't be concerned about who owns what he eats. It will only matter if the owner of the critter he eats is still alive. Where I live there are going to be cows, pigs, goats, horses, ponies, and for a while all manner of domestic birds all over the place. I'm going to eat them and not worry a bit about who owned them before the fall. I'm going to trespass while I'm doing it too.

Now, all that said. I plan to be active in my area and to try and pull the survivors together and work together. I would not steal from a living neighbor. I imagine, at least in Texas, that people will be pretty open to working together. During disasters, we tend to take care of ourselves.

22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Major difference between scavenging and looting. I notice my neighbor has not been out to feed his critters. I investigate and discover neighbor has departed. Then yes, I will round up and collect these abandoned animals vs. leaving them to starve or die of thirst. On the reverse side, I investigate and discover my neighbor has suffered an injury that prevented him/her from taking care of the animal. Then I feed and care for their critters until they recover or until their family arrives to take over. Easy way to tell if the property is abandon, look at the dust. It does take a little bit of time to cover counters, floors or furniture.

To me, looting is taking possessions from others. Scavenging is taking possession of abandoned items. During normal time you don't do either. Once it has really hit the fan, then waste not, want not.

lonewolf, Ystranc and TexDanm like this.
  23. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    any stranger that has the misjudgment to wonder down my dead end dirt road would be closely watched . If found to be up to no good will be eliminated regardless of what label they put on themselves .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    If they are up to no good, they will need to be eliminated.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    scavenging is one thing, I do that now, I dumpster dive and I pick up stuff that may be useful from where it is dumped at the side of the road, I have got many items this way.
    looting as you say is depriving the rightful owner of their property, quite possibly by force.

GateCrasher, Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  26. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Well put LW & TMT Tactical.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    The problem I have with the looter/scavenger debate is it's always subjective and from the looter/scavenger's perspective. They get to arbitrarily decide what is "abandoned" or what has "no living or obvious owner", and what exactly makes it the apocalypse and when it officially started. Stealing or taking the property of others just to improve their situation seems clearly wrong to me in all circumstances, but even if we agree on that then I think the SHTF arrives for each person when they first need something that they don't have (or ran out of). Their needs change it, in their own subjective determination, from stealing to scavenging.

Bottom line for me is if thieves get away with the goods and want to call themselves scavengers, fine. If I catch you in the act however, you're a looter.

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    someone who thinks they can survive post SHTF by not preparing but by looting is obviously not a prepper, they are a thief. pure and simple ,they deserve all they get and they wont be around for long.

29. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    If they are caught in the act, THEY ARE LOOTERS. The items were not abandoned. The dwelling was not vacant / abandoned.

Yes it can get a bit tricky on what is abandoned. If you discover a buried cache on public property, is it to be considered abandoned or still somebodies property? Somebody owned it and planned to retrieve it at some point OR is it finders keepers?

poltiregist and Sonofliberty like this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Those that plan to survive only by looting are not going to survive long enough to become scavengers. In the early days of the fall people are going to be scared and not very understanding about people in their area breaking into houses. A year later most of those people will be dead. At some point scavenging will become a group activity a lot like hunting. Going into the ruins of the cities will be a dangerous thing and bes done in a group. The cities are going to be a mess and the few people that live there for a long time will probably be a little off.

For that first year to maybe several years your best bet will be to hunker down and limit your travels and contact with people other than the locals that you know. After that you will start the return to living instead of just surviving. At that point, if indeed a great majority of people have died, scavenging for resources will be an important way to rebuild.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Prepare now. Do what is needed ... now.

Common sense 101, what does wandering into other people's lives get you?

Yes; trouble, grief, and you'll get no thanks even if you save someone's life. This is why doctors call 911 when they see a bad car accident. And everybody has had some member of their very own family turn on them ... after having helped that person get through hard times. Go figure.

I am old. Been around the block 1000x. I am singularly unimpressed with my very own species. Be prepared to be nice. Good people actually do exist. However ...

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hunker down, then remoteness and isolation away from any other survivors, I don't want anything to do with any body else especially after some great catastrophe has befallen the nation or the world.

33. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree one hundred percent on the hunkering down plan . A prepper should already have what he or she needs . No need to expose themselves to outside contact . This would be especially true in an epidemic .

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  34. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hunker down until the dust settles, in a pandemic i'm going into total isolation until the thing has run its course.
    the point of being a prepper is in the preparation, collect what we need before the event happens, expecting to find things lying about just waiting for us to find them post SHTF is a mugs game.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of the myriad of reasons why not to be out and about when it hits the fan:

Come a pandemic, stay far, far away from large medical centers and the cities in which they exist. FEMA will have quarantine camps -- avoid them like the plague (oops, sorry about the sick pun; dang-it, bad pun). "Cities," actually I should say counties, because FEMA plans on taking-over all hotels and motels in such counties/areas. Such buildings along with even the office buildings will become treatment/isolation facilities. Staff will be equipped with haz-mat suits.

I do not have a haz-mat suit. They are a pain to work in -- you think you are going to sweat to death and they are cumbersome beyond imagining.

As to chemical agents, there are plans for sarin attack response on a large scale. Did you know that at big sporting events there are tents in waiting, sometimes even the tents are set up to take on a mass-casualty event?! Showers, the whole 9-yards. I know the people who man these facilities. I know the training procedures intimately. This is all good, however if some nutcase terrorist crew knows their game, boys and girls it's gonna get insane. And as is the case with pandemics, do not be in the same county where this mayhem is going down.

Should you yourself be exposed, DO NOT LEAVE! If the source is known, get away from that, however you will NEED treatment or you are finished. Do exactly what you are told, else you do not have a snowball's chance in hell. Plus, you could expose others. This stuff goes right through the skin.

Tokyo sarin attack 1995:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

Sarin is not difficult to elaborate and oh-my-god is it ever effective in bringing about death, a horrid death. Think bug-spray for humans.

Decontamination showers, atropine, atropine, atropine, ...

https://www.openanesthesia.org/anticholinesterase_poisoning_rx/

Post treatment, many patients begin to have massive seizures -- gotta be ready for that also.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all terrorist attacks will be in the cities for maximum effect, no point in attacking a place with a low population. same with pandemics, disease will spread much faster in a large built up area like a city, plenty of hosts to inhabit.

37. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean. Among my certifications, I have the HAZWOPPER 40hour for handling hazardous materials and working in the various level of hazmat suits. I never wore MOPP gear in the navy, but Hazmat suits have to be somewhat equivalent. The closest we came to MOPP was the OBA, but for HAZWOPPER, we used a SCBA. We learned how to handle Chemical, Biological, and Radioactive waste materials. I did have two suits, one was basically Tyvek, the other was a heavier "plastic". I forget exactly what it was made of. I do want to replace those suits when I settle down.

38. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are >95% correct.

Some things to consider include the reality of the military (and some large organizations) having core-critical facilities in places that are somewhat remote. For instance, the U.S. military keeps its drone control stations in areas that are not core military bases. I lived near one outside a Midwest town; it was surrounded by civilians and agriculture. If terrorists can't take out the facility, they can chemically poison the area to take out the technicians inside or the nearby homes in which they and their families live. Same is true of any form of radio-transmission facilities.

It would be good to discover what military assets are in remote areas ... and not locate / or bug out to a location anywhere near there. Such facilities could be small in area and not marked except for, "Restricted Area". I know of a university physics lab located out in the woods up the side of a large hill -- they do research for the military I found out. It is a fenced-in, gated, marked with a very unfriendly sign, and has maybe one window. It's just an ugly concrete block of a building. Me, I turned my SUV around and left. This is why I scout my surroundings in detail -- it's not just to find useful back-roads. Often you find "no-go" areas.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Even in rural Devon, the military makes use of the beautiful large national park located therein. Same here in America -- if the military wants it, they take it.

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/living-and-working/access-and-land-management/military-on-dartmoor

At least the British military publishes where, "Thou shalt not go." They even provide maps. If you are out scouting / hiking, the military provides warning signs about where you could be killed. I mean, that's good of them. Just north of a town in the region in which I grew up there is a weapons development/storage area (big, i.e. square miles) wherein patrols use armored vehicles -- you not only can get shot, you can get blown to bits. Yes, they are serious about this sh##. Israeli spies (Mossad ran a house-moving / trucking business as cover) tickled another military industry a few miles away from the above facility and got caught by some local deputies. The FBI and "other" came in and covered-up the whole incident. The Israelis had some sort of "highly flammable materials". In rural America, especially Southern Appalachia, everybody knows everybody (this incident even got into the local papers). The deputies had plenty of kin in this and adjacent counties, therefore "open secret".

British assets in Devon and its national park, Dartmoor:

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/33257/AMU2Military_Plan_4464x3156px.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmoor_Training_Area

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern_Barracks

military assets south england.png

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  41. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow, those sales pitches were...interesting???... I guess that where I was raised forests were everywhere and taken for granted. I can't imagine having to be told what I could do in the woods. Even though I was raised in a city it was filled with woods. Behind my house, there were 3 acres of old hardwood forest and then down the street, there was a much bigger patch of woods. They used these patches of up to 20 acres to separate different neighborhoods. When I got older it was a short bicycle ride out into a several hundred thousand acre forest and swamp. We fished camped and hunted there all the time.

The town wasn't a metropolis but it was 115,000 people and part of a three-city cluster that they called the Golden Triangle that in total was probably 400,000 people. There were oil wells everywhere and they were just pretty clearings in the woods. My deer lease had several hundred wells on it. That was why it was "Golden".

I think that people in Texas are more forest-oriented than people in other places. Even in most of Houston, there are patches of woods that make most of the city look more like a forest than a cement jungle when you fly over it.

42. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I worked for the Forestry Service as a kid some hundreds of years ago. Due to the idiot/redneck factor, there were rules even back then -- especially if you were a lumber company. (There's a world of difference between hillbillies and rednecks; rednecks are arrogant and proud of their ignorance; hillbillies are not given to much speech, take care of all that is around them, and often act with wisdom, sometimes in the strangest sorts of ways -- hey, just smile and wave and they'll wave back. My mountain kin were hillbillies. When you are "just passing through", they will be super friendly to you.)

43. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, Country people DO wave a lot. We have a couple of different kinds of rednecks. You have the regular rednecks that are basically just hardworking country people and good folks that are nonetheless proud of their country roots. I'm that sort of redneck. THEN you have the ignorant rednecks... We call them white trash, that are as you described. We don't have hillbillies here.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  44. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back when, you had a boatload of us; Davey Crockett, Sam Houston, Stephan Austin, ... .

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/04/10/state-of-texas-appalachias-creation/

45. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, and we have never forgotten them. I went to James Bowie Junior High, My Daughter graduated from Sam Houston University. I live near Crocket Texas, In the Sam Houston National Forrest, Austin is our State capital and Stephen F Austen University is a well respected University here. The Alamo is a SHRINE and when you enter you take your hat off or someone will knock it off. We never forget our Founding Fathers. I visit Sam Houston's grave pretty often. I've been to his home and held the Sword he carried in the war for Texas Independence. One of my Ancestors died at the Battle of San Jacinto and is one of our heroes. Being a Texan isn't all about where you are born. It is an attitude. The men that you mentioned were not born here but they realized their mistake and got here as fast as they could and will live forever in our hearts.

46. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just finished another training session with my bloodhound . Trailed a runner four times . Didn't falter even when the runner doubled back on his own trail on two occasions , didn't fool him for a second . Had a rabbit dart within ten feet in front of him on two occasions but never gave pause and stayed after his man .He still pauses when he sees unknown people and vehicles . I will need to work to get him out of that. He is about eight months old now .

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  47. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds real promising, keep up the good work and keep us informed, especially on how to evade / lose him. LOL

Dalewick and poltiregist like this.
  48. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    de0b58e2df59a275aa27885806efb53e.jpeg

This is now available to the public and is an excellent reference book.

Some interesting discussions.

Dale

49. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Texas Department of Corrections raises and trains dogs and horses for use. That is one reason why nobody gets far by jumping fences and making a run on foot. they turn the dogs out and the race is ON. They will put a man in a tree in pretty short order. They are the most loved and spoiled critters in Texas. The inmates raise and train them and those dogs are their children! They have trackers and catchers. the bloodhounds lead you to the target person and then the other hounds take him down or put him up a tree. I think that I would rather be caught and shot than chewed up!

50. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You can be trained to elude the dogs but I wouldn't discuss so here. Criminals shouldn't have such info.

Dale