Covid-19 And Global Food Shortages

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Apr 10, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.rferl.org/a/how-will-the-covid-19-pandemic-affect-global-food-supplies-/30544359.html

Good morning all,

Per ...

I thought "flattening the curve" is the term used for slowing the hospital admissions for those needing respiratory intervention.

Is it possible for the UN's FAO and the World Food Program to merge - or in the alternative for the United States to officially withdraw from these programs ?

The RFE editors need to do some work with "In Kazakhistan ... buckwheat ... has emotional resonance for many older Kazaks and Russians as a way to ward off hunger". The Russians will survive on substitute foods.

Goker Aydin is another Jeremiah .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting article Pragmatist.

I'm fortunate being in a very rural community, growing my own veggies and keeping chickens. I'm also fortunate (at this point, anyway) that there aren't major disruptions regarding trade in Australia (once again, as yet). However, imports are of course another kettle of fish.

With ships being banned from docking, let alone the fact that foreign countries aren't able to produce the same level in the first place, or be in a position to have the produce shipped, are a major concern.

I've always been an advocate for self-sufficiency within one's own country, rather than relying on foreign exports. In Australia we produce most staples, which is fortunate. However, I don't know how long they will continue to be able to be produced and whether they will be able to get to people's tables. The other worrying feature is the ensuing price rises, which will come. The now high unemployment rate and families generally now struggling, will mean people will be in an even worse position.

Not a happy scenario really.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This may seem unbelievable and I am leaning in that direction myself . Interesting it is though . Information came to me yesterday that Saudi Arabia just past a law allowing men to eat their wives . Anyone else heard about this ?

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
    1. Blitz
      No, I haven't heard that poltiregist. Wouldn't surprise me though!

Blitz, Apr 11, 2020
      TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not so much this years harvest we have to worry about although that is a problem in itself with most of the population in lockdown, its more a case of next years harvest especially any imported food which is shipped in, there might not be enough labour or finance in some countries to even get the seed in the ground never mind picking anything later in the year, and even if they can harvest it they may need it for their own populations.

TMT Tactical, Blitz and poltiregist like this.