Coyote Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by CivilDefense, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I am curious: is anyone else involved with coyote hunting? While most won't eat the meat, they are a real problem in some areas. I happen to live in a state in which is legal, and encouraged, to take them out year round. There was even a cash bounty in this county not to long ago on the critters, but I digress.

Anyway, anyone else hunt coyotes? Does it help keep your skills keen? What rifle(s) are you using? *

Thanks for sharing!

* I've used a bunch of the years. Mainly .223/5.56 carbines, though others. I'm working a custom build now and will share pics later. The base gun is a Mini-14, but I've scoped it, almost done with a hand finished stock, and it will have a suppressor once it is approved by our Federal friends. :D

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes I do I use a Mossberg MVP predator in 223 I load 75gr boat tail hollow point it helps keep you on the alert because they are smart I shot one one time looking at me through the roots of a blown over tree at about 148 yard threw the eye

3. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't had a chance to shoot a Mossberg MVP. How do you like it? It looks like a slick little bolt gun. Thanks.

4. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I love it in fact it's the only rifle I take to the woods now I do neck shots on deer head shots on hogs they all drop in there tracks I was hunting with a 7mm08 or a 25~06

5. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. I haven't had a chance to use a .25/06, but I remember using a very slick .257 Roberts some years ago. It was a solid caliber for both varmints and deer.

6. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    I had a 257 Roberts it was a very flat shooting rifle.

7. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    The coyotes get bad up here when the cows are on range land. We usually use whatever we have in the truck at the time. They are bad for having one come onto people properties and luring dogs away and the pack will just wait.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Coyotes are hunted here as just a matter of general principal. I think that this is probably true anyplace that has a lot of livestock. They are tough on goats and newborn calves so they are pretty much shot on sight and the survivors are extremely cagey and hard to find.

9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Was talking with my friend on ham radio one night from here in Virginia out to Tennessee. I asked him if he had coyotes out there. He said he knows there are coyotes out there along with dear, bear and wild pigs.

If he want to know how close they are ....where he lives ...way out off the main road...he puts out his electric boom box..game caller and puts on the sound of a fire engine siren...and they begin howling. That box can put out some volume.
    I laughed when he described the simplicity of it.

I remember when he brought that same box here to my home in the suburbs.....he put it on some kind of owl sound or such predator..and immediately from everywhere...crows came in and began making all kinds of noise....and it seemed like hundreds of them ...from all points on the compass. I was impressed!!

But I realized that was a good idea..to get the coyotes to announce their presence...a fire engine siren.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris