I am new to New Mexico and I've noticed Coyote Melon (also called coyote gourd) growing wild and very prolifically around here. A few locals claim it is "poisonous" to eat it but everything I've read says otherwise. Most people here just try to kill it if it's on their property because it grows and takes over like an invasive weed. However, I see it as a food source. Anytime you think you can eat a native plant it is good to add it to your diet now so that your body and taste buds can get used to it. Of course, that is, if it's not poisonous lol. Has anyone ever eaten it before?